Knots - resources to learn?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Every time I stumble on a thread by asemery I get the urge to dig out an old knot book I got given for Xmas as a primary school aged kid. I remember playing with a ball of string and that book all through Xmas day. However as an adult I've forgotten so much and find that book not very good as an adult.

So what book would you recommend as the beginnings or base of a library on knots? The book or books everyone interested in knots should own, from a beginner upwards.

Reactions: Kron

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I only have two 'knot' books but a number of other 'outdoor' books that have sections on knots.

This one is very clear and covers most common knots; mine's the spiral bound version which is a bit pricey new now but I like the lay-flat capability:

This one covers traditional knots etc. used in marine applications and is a good source of info on splicing and whipping as well as other stuff:

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Interestingly enough. Knot books have been on my mind for some time now, and how terrible and impractical most of them are. It’s made me come to the conclusion I should have a go at writing one of my own. Headings and sections would be based on activities, and practical skills much like the lars falt books that have come out which have been some inspiration for me too.

Would this be the sort of thing that might be useful to you?

Aug 25, 2022
England
Not a book, but there lots of beginner videos on knots on youtube.
I download to my phone so should I be out in woods I don't need WiFi to watch.

I also so draw knows in a note book with two colour pencils help with what over lays & my memory.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I got into a book store that had a dozen different knot books on the shelf. Specifically, I was looking for information to do rope splicing, what had been a fish boat chore some 50 years ago. I could have picked some other specific such as lashing.

With no doubt in my mind, the best of the lot is

Knots: The Complete Visual Guide, by Des Pawson.
It is reasonably compact, 1" x 5.5" x 8.5" but the chubby little brick of a thing will not lay open flat as you will need both hands for most knot processes.

A few 48" pieces of various ropes, a couple of fids and down time entertainment is ready. Makes people very suspicious of your motives.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Not a book, but there lots of beginner videos on knots on youtube.
I download to my phone so should I be out in woods I don't need WiFi to watch.
Be really careful about this as they get stuff wrong. Dave Canterbury's knot series has mistakes in it and BushcraftUSA has a round turn and two half hitches wrong.
I really like the Scout books which you can get for free at The Dump online.
One thing to really take on board is what do you need knots for and then learn those knots.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Start off with any of Des Pawson's publications, but focus ,initially, on the practical knots.
I believe the best way to absorb any new knot, is to put aside a time slot and then blitz the thing by consecutively tying at least six times.
Do try not to obscure the build up process, by making un-neccesary hand movements.
Try, if possible, to hold the creation in just one spatial position.
This way, you build up an unconscious stream of visual/sensory prompts, that are perhaps the most overlooked necessity, and one which is really needed for when/if, you branch out into decorative stuff.
This, from my experience in teaching it, seems to be a good , effective way to instil the process into the old grey matter.

Best of luck
Regards All
Ceeg

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Training Hint!
I served in the USCG and a BIG diameter length of Manila eliminates what I call ‘Knot Dyslexia. Knots are 3 dimensional.
Some guy with dull paracord demonstrates a knot and you miss a lot! The simple texture and visibility let’s your eyes AND hands follow the steps.
Once more “ The rabbit comes out of the hole around the tree and gets killed by the ferret?”
Bowline, right?
Canterbury; US Army devoted an entire pedantic episode informing
Naval vets they were mispronouncing Marlinespike.
RIiiiight

Reactions: Crac and FerlasDave

lotto

May 22, 2023
Glasgow
I can find plenty of resources for how to tie knots but very little in the way of use and application. For example what knot would you use to secure a tarp? Which knot for guy lines on a tent? Is there a resource which says which knot is best for a given situation?

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I can find plenty of resources for how to tie knots but very little in the way of use and application. For example what knot would you use to secure a tarp? Which knot for guy lines on a tent? Is there a resource which says which knot is best for a given situation?
I know what you mean, although in most cases it’s whichever (ones) you’re most comfortable with.

Reactions: lotto

lotto

May 22, 2023
Glasgow
I think if I learned 6 knots that would cover me for most situations. What would be the 6 "goto' general knots? I think I would like to learn:

1. A knot that when pulled comes easily undone.
2. A knot that "runs" to vary tension.
3. A solid knot that just won't budge.
4. A knot that you see truckers use for securing loads.
5. A knot to join two ropes together.
6. Happy to n learn something beneficial from everyone else's experience.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
If I were to advise anything, it would be to learn one knot that does each of the jobs you need, and learn them so well you can tie them blindfolded.

It's nice to see new knots and try them but, if there is no advantage over the ones you use, stick to what you know works.

I probably use the 'round turn and two half hitches' more than any other knot because of what I do :)

Reactions: Kadushu and gg012

Ozmundo

Jan 15, 2023
Sussex
Be really careful about this as they get stuff wrong. Dave Canterbury's knot series has mistakes in it and BushcraftUSA has a round turn and two half hitches wrong.
I’ve seen a few sources lately that do not correctly show this. Pretty diverse ones that I can’t see a common origin for the error. :O_O:

My knots are crap. I was taught the basics by a laddie from the western isles. He thought my knots were crap too. I was advised “If yea can’t tie knots, tie lots”.
Therefore I do everything with a large number of overhand knots….. ;)

My splicing was considered “Not a fekkin’ mess” so minimally acceptable. Possibly his highest level of praise! :p

Reactions: Minotaur and SaraR

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Round turn and 2 half hitches is possibly the most useful knot with reef knot using one or two ropes/cords. However I see the half hitches often get done wrong.

If I'm having a mental fudge tying this knot I find I just do more half hitches.

Lashings? Cubs taught us them and I taught Arkela and other leaders how to tie knots! Really poor knowledge by them. My son's Cubs only teach them to plant corms in a pot, make spaghetti and marshmallow structures to hold an egg and similar things. Not sure but I think they're missing something. He's since left Cubs completely.

It was a right of passage from Cubs in my day to make a tripod string enough to carry a big bowl of water with just poles and rope.

Reactions: Broch

Crac

Apr 5, 2023
North
Round turn and 2 half hitches is possibly the most useful knot with reef knot using one or two ropes/cords. However I see the half hitches often get done wrong.

*snip*

Sorry to interrupt... You need to be careful with the reef knot, it tends to spill under load.
The reef knot was the knot used to reef sails, NEVER use it as a bend.

Clifford Warren Ashley, can be quoted. Cyrus Lawrence Day has repeated the warning by Ashley... I'm sure the list goes on.

Being curious I tested it myself: My 5? samples with jute all spilled at low levels of force (Edit: or rather every knot spilled before the twine broke).

A loop of single paracord gut got up to 15 kg (much to my surprise), due to the sealed ends...

With cut ends the paracord gut loop was 5 Kg ...

If you want to tie a knot under tension, that usually needs a hitch.
If you want to tie two ends together, use a bend...

And if your really really stuck right now: Try a fisherman's bend? (Water knot, Waterman's, English, Englishman's, True-Lovers, Angler's knot).

Ashley book of knot page 259, ABOK #1414. Or look it up on your favorite source...
ah here is a colour picture for easy reference, this is the knot.
iu

This knot is really simple: It's easy to tie and easy to adjust... It's also strong and secure... So far so good.

Now take this idea with a cup salt: "You can slip the ends to make a quick release?"
This is knot heresy! It could be extremely dangerous.
The two slipped ends, form loops like a bow, inline with the cordage. While the two free ends are perpendicular. I think it looks very very neat.

I've tied a few loops in jute twine and one using a single strand of paracord guts. I've ripped these apart with destructive testing, this is not precise science or good statistics. But I can easily (with the jute) or reasonably (with the paracord guts) pull the quick release to untie these after I'm tightened these knots as tight as they will go. (I've been blasting a few knots and making notes on untying the remains lately...)

When joining to ends together to create a loop, you tie one end then adjust the size of main loop. Tie the other end to finish. Thus you have a heavy duty, yet reusable "bush craft zip-tie" with quick release. Another trick would be to have a turn or two (loop-the-loop the package with the cord): Now, not only are you compressing the package down, the cord can't back off and any little slack that creeps in as you tie the second side can be divided by the number of turns.

The only slight downside is that the fisherman's bend isn't up the top in terms of strength, at least according to Ashley. Ashley had his own rigs for repeated testing. My static test results may vary: I'm happy with my results.

My few results used luggage scales... However I feel the 31 Kg for a loop of single strand paracord guts is more than enough for my testing. I'd expect anything from 28 to 35 lbf with age, wear, and dozens of other real world problems are going to eat into the lab result. So my 31 kg for the loop would be 34.141 lb for a single. I have also compared the Barrel knot (#1413, also Page 259) which came out top in Ashley's testing. (Ashley's testing setup is on pages 16 and 17, and the test results table on page 273).

Last edited:
Reactions: grainweevil

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
@Crac
I've never joined two lines with a reef knot before. I know they say you can buy in my mind its not that knots use. Even before I learnt that knot you showed in red and blue I did it out of instinct.

Actually one of my most used but most obscure user for the reef knot is sewing! Hand sewing with lock stitch and a few locking stitches at the end I use a reef knot as an extra security. Other uses I have had is final knot at the end of lashings. I was always taught because its a flat knot but it's the way I was taught.

Reactions: Crac

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE