Knots - resources to learn?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Crac

Apr 5, 2023
North
Crac, have you tried the Surgeon knot?
Just wonder if it solves the reef knot problem.
I think I know of it, it's granny knot tied by forceps. Blasphemy is adding extra turns or extra half hitches. Our ancestors weighed up what added value. :p

Knot #1025, from Page 187 of Ashley book of knots says this:
“There are always people who believe that if a single thing is good two are bound to be better. So they overburden their knots with extra turns and flourishes. The accompanying knot, which is often shown, is a good example of this, the previous knot being quite adequate, and the latter no improvement over it.”

Knot #1719 “Riggers never seem to tire of adding seizings.”

Knot #1781 ( Two half hitches ), from Page 303 of Ashley book of knots.
"Three half hitches are more than a King’s yacht wants” – Admiral Smyth.

Personally I use the seine knot. Which allows to stitch ( or the loop) to be tightened using the free end, and the knot to be tightened by pulling on the standing end. Because the seine knot is tied around it's self (like a hitch) I don't think this counts as a solution for binding knots. But it's great for stitching a ripped sail or for first aid.

If there is a reef knot problem it lies with the teacher... and maybe a little further a field with our box ticking culture. My system is a 1-2 punch of “Functions” and “Principals”.

"Functions" is for the knowledge part. Function covers What can we do with rope, and ultimately the solutions or ideas I’ve selected. (I'm writing up this part and testing things).

“Guiding principals”, is the understanding of How or Why types of knots work. It's how to read knots.

@Paul_B
The reef knot is so easily introduced without the warning of it limits. Which is crazy given how easily it can be tested.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Hi Crac,
What I think is a surgeon knot is an extra turn on the first layer of a reef knot and then carry on as normal however there does seem to be a lot of things claiming to be the surgeon's knot.
I can tie a reef knot at least 3 ways and can tie a thief knot however that is due to a misspent youth and now the only thing I use a reef for is my shoe laces.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
and can tie a thief knot however that is due to a misspent youth
Haven’t tired that one for years. For those who don’t know it - It is the singularly most useless knot in the book.
Except for entertainment!! 30 years ago every one of my son’s scout officers were convinced that he’d tied a reef knot - which of course was the point. My son knew what he’d done. I think folk here already know, legend says it was used to tie a duffel bag on ship. A thief looking through your kit was supposed to think it was tied with a reef and retie with a proper reef thereby showing that the kit had been tampered with. I don’t believe it, which makes the knot even more useless.
It spills apart under the slightest strain.

I use a bowline for nearly everything around a tent and some slight variations at other times. A water bowline on a makeshift tow rope has a better chance of being untied afterwards.

I put simple two turn stopper knots on any free ends of my guy lines.

I use a round turn and two half hitches to attach a rope to a bollard/pole and I don’t really care which way round the hitches go. (If they face each other you may have tied a cow hitch!) If I have any concerns I’ll use a marlin spike (screwdriver) and slip the working part (tail) through the strands of the standing part close to the hitch - that won’t shift.

…. And those will serve me for nearly everything that I do.

@Minotaur yep, on the rare occasions that I wear laced footwear I (double) reef them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE