recommend me good outdoors book preferably fiction

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Acorn62

Tenderfoot
Jan 13, 2009
Oxfordshire
A great book is "Rogue Male" by Geoffrey Household isbn 139780752851396

It was made into a film with Peter O'Tool back in the sixties. It has a bit of everything from espionage to escape and evasion to bushcraft and survival.

I was given the book by my uncle (who taught me how to survive and thrive on the land from my sixth birthday - he was one of Hereford's finest and his father before was LRDG).
The rest I learned when I was in the mob following in footsteps of those gone before.

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
Bernard Cornwall has written a series of book called the warlord chronicles...
Its fiction but set in The UK in 600AD and uses a rough knowledge of events around the King Arthur legend.
All about medievil battles, living off the land and how England was 1500 years ago. Fantastically written!

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
'Call of the Wild' by Jack London.
It's often studied in secondary schools, but that totally misses the point - like Barry Hines' 'Kestrel For A Knave' (not an 'outdoorsy' book per se, but still DEFINITELY worth a read) it takes a mature, worldly wise, mind to fully comprehend it's subtleties and true message.

BushEd

Nomad
Aug 24, 2009
Herts./Finland
If you're willing to read non-fiction i would highly recommend anything by Hugh Brody. An english anthropologist, spent much time with hunter-gatherers in Canada; his books look at the key differences between h&g and agriculture. Excellent stuff. Lots of expeds to the high arctic, or boreal forest, all the languages of the tribes etc.

might not be what you're after though... :D

Peat

Forager
Aug 29, 2008
West country
Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer! I read them when I was going through a really rough patch and they were the perfect escape.

The Gary Paulson books including hatchet mentioned above are meant for kids, but they're all great.

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
I have read a number of books due to the people shown in Ray Mears' Extreme Survival (Ooops, there's that dirty "S" word!) and I think the best was either Steve Callaghans' 76 Days Adrift or Hiroo Onodas' book. Te only thing wrong with the Hiroo Onoda was the ending was very abrupt, but his bushcraft is second to none IMO. I have no doubt at all that Ray would pale into nothingness compared to a Japanese soldier that lived a bushcraft and war fighting life for 30 odd years, he did everything and more and stayed out of sight. I don't think he had the landowners permission though, so he'd probably get told off by a few people here!

:rolleyes:

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
hi drew, try the long walk by slavomir rawicz. isbn 971-1-84529-644-5

1939 a polish cavalry officer was arrested by the russians and sent to siberia, escaping he crossed into tibet, the gobi desert and freedom some 9 months later.
a true story of grit and determination, well worth a read.

Last edited:

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
hi, try the long walk by slavomir rawicz. isbn 971-1-84529-644-5

1939 a polish cavalry officer was arrested by the russians and sent to siberia, escaping he crossed into tibet, the gobi desert and freedom some 9 months later.
a true story of grit and determination, well worth a read.

Has this story now been debunked? I thought it was an excellent read but seem to recall somebody speaking up saying it was his story and it had been ripped off. It's still a good story though, as is As far as my feet will carry me which is also an excellent film if you can find it with English subtitles (very difficult to find!)

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
Hi ,

Plenty of survival and make do and mend in these ;

A Dorset Rifleman - Benjamin Harris / Henry Curling
The letters of Private Wheeler - William Wheeler
The Diary of a Napolionic Foot Soldier - Marc Raeff (editor )
Adventures in the Rifle Brigade - Capt. John Kincaid

Oh , and
Quartered safe out here - G. Macdonald Fraser
Undaunted courage - S. E. Ambrose - May be a bit long winded but IMO It's one of the best books on Lewis and Clark .
Cheers,
Trev .

Last edited:

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i don't read much fiction but these are good reads

into the wild by Jon Krakauer - adventure and travel

call of the wild by guy grieve - different to jack londons book but still in alaska. about a scottish man who gives up an office job life and spends a year building and living in a log cabbin.

and if your into escape and evasion, the one that got away by chris ryan is very good.
chris was along side andy mcnab in the famous bravo two zero pratrol in the first gulf war but they got seperated and this book is chris's side of the story (much better than andy's book imo)

pete

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Beachcombing at Miramar, The Quest for an Authentic Life, by Richard Bode (non-fiction)

The River and the Road, Journal of a Freshwater Pearl-Fisher, Peter James Goodwin (non-fiction)

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
Hey ,
It's really hard to recommend a book to someone I don't know .
But I've recommended this book to everyone I've met over the past 10 years .
It's fiction but it's a beautiful read .
Blood Meridian - Cormac McCarthy . Brutal but outdoors .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE