Recomend An Axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NikDarkwood

Sep 2, 2009
Hampshire
Another vote for the little Husqvarna. Great head and usable cover. Bit of shaping and polishing on the poll and some cutting and stitching on the cover and its probably the best value hatchet on the market.
On a different note I've got smallish hands and find I have to slim down most handles.

Dec 22, 2009
dorking, surrey
had the same dilemma last week. At the weekend went to the car boot and picked this up for £3
9qyyhk.jpg
[/IMG]
its splits and carves and takes an edge just as good as a gb axe

Last edited:

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
There's no need to spend all that money on an axe.
The first axe I had was a wooden-handled Faithful hatchet. It cost no more than a tenner and took and held an absolutely mean edge. I striped the blue paint off the head and rubbed down the handle to get rid of the varnish.

The axe I currently use is a small Kent pattern axe I found in a boot fair for just £1.50. Obviously it needed cleaning up and sharpening. I also put a new handle on it (which cost another £3.50). It too holds a dead sharp edge.

There's really no need to shell out all that money on a 'brand' axe. None at all. And even less so if you're on a limited budget.

ananix

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2010
Denmark
Hi fellas,
i am a complete novice when it comes to axes, my experience is limited to cheap rusty hatchets in the garage rather than "wilderness axes".
i am basicly looking for a lightweight chopping companion to my wolverine or woodsman B&T. ive been using goloks up to now and although they are extreamly versitle i think a small axe may be lighter and more appropriate for just a short stay in the woods ect.

the exe will be used for:
1. splitting firewood for a fire or carving projects
2. cutting and limbing trees where needed
3. rough carving

it should be:
1. lightweight
2. well made
3. under £50 (student budget lol)
4. easy to control when doing fne tasks
5. nice n sharp (the one in my shed is duller than a lump of foam)

ive heard good things about Gransfors Bruks, wetterlings and Cegga.
The question is, Which one?

ATB
Josh

Have you considered a tomahawk, french hatchet?

Last edited:

andy r

Tenderfoot
Apr 13, 2010
Torquay
I got a GB WH last week and really considered sending it back ! First time I've ever seen a concave cutting edge ! I've had a SFA for a few years that I like, but am often left amazed by how much I like the Fiskars axe !

leon-1

I've had a SFA for a few years that I like, but am often left amazed by how much I like the Fiskars axe !

The fiskars axes are very good for the money and they are pretty much indestructible to boot. I do actually prefer the S&N though, apart from it being a large version of the Norlund that I own they heft very well and feel right when you swing them. They split well and generally I'll mirror what SMARTY says in that they do everything that you need of them in a bushcraft enviroment.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Dorkingbushcraft - looks to me like that axe needs a new and considerably longer handle. - unless its just on a funny angle.

chaps - Siberianfury mentions that he got an SFA further up in the thread.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE