Smaller carving axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
Hi folks, I'm looking at getting a new carving axe, but can't really make up my mind. I have a GB carving axe, which is great, but if I'm honest I don't have the strength to use it for a long period of time. Now I admit I have a bit of a thing for axes and do have quite a few these are: a Cegga BR Hunter, a wetterlings hatchet and a Rosseli. Now the two axes I've been torn between are the Svante Djarv little carver and the GB middle carving axe. The GB is cheaper and comes with two choices of grind (even bevel or aysymetric grind) but to be honest I'm not sure that an even bevel would give me any advantage over the Wetterlings or the Cegga. My GB carving axe has an aysymetric grind, and I have to admit that I love it, but I'm now being swayed by Robin Wood's recent posts on being able to use an axe in either hand. The Svante axe has an even bevel and looks great and I actually ordered one from Svante, but was emailed back saying that it would be cheaper to buy from a supplier in the UK, this made the Svante £20 more than the GB. So does anyone have any experience with either of these axes?Does anyone have another axe they would like to reccomend?Should I stop being a wuss and just build up the strength to use my GB carver for longer?Should I be getting a GB carver with an even bevel?Should I forget the whole thing and use what I've got?(I confess that I do like buying axes)The Svante axe: http://countryworkshops.org/Axes.html GB middle carver: http://www.woodsmithstore.co.uk/sho...+Carving+Axe,+Red+Beech+Handle,+right+handed/ , Heath

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
As a casual observer it does sound a wee bit to me like you're really looking for us to validate your need to buy yet another Axe...... :rolleyes: Sounds like you have plenty to be working with as is to me....

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
That may well be true, but I would still love to hear people's opinions, especially if anyone has any experience with either of the axes I mentioned.

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
No worries mountainm, I didn't take offence and you answered one of my questions. I was going to put one of those smiley faces in but I don't know how.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent

I have one of those as well as the full size GB carver. I find I use the kubben predominantly. Much more handy sized for those smaller carvings. Fits in my carving bag a treat too, so its generally with me, at the full size often isn't.... The biggest problem I have with the larger carver is my hands aren't big enough for a comfortable non aching grip.

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
I have seen the Kubben, but as it's the same head as the middle carver, i don't see the advantage other than for transport. Surely I could just choke up on the handle of the middle carver?

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Have you thought about the Svante Djarv Little Viking axe? I'm toying with the idea of getting hold of one of them having seen Jogge Sundqvist use one on his bowl/spoon carving DVD. It seems like a good, lighter weight alternative to the GB Carving axe which I love.

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
Have you thought about the Svante Djarv Little Viking axe? I'm toying with the idea of getting hold of one of them having seen Jogge Sundqvist use one on his bowl/spoon carving DVD. It seems like a good, lighter weight alternative to the GB Carving axe which I love.
I'd be very tempted, but it's a fair bit more expensive at £132.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Have a word with Nic Westermann, he's just started making some different axes, and if the rest of his tools are anything to go by they will be superb! And you would be supporting one of our own local boys ;)

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
I too can vouch for the GB Kubben hatchet. Great size for all types of task (aside from felling lol) carving with it is fantastic, gives very little strain after long periods of carving. As for getting tired using your own axe for long periods of time; get in the gym (or your garage) and do low weight and high repetitions workouts, they should help.
cheers
outdoorpaddy

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
You could also pick up a small head or an old axe on evilBay and re-handle it to suit. There are loads of nice old Kent pattern axes going.

Cheers!

Huon

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
Its not a toy mate I use mine all the time on the farm, Done quite a bit of hedge laying with it. I love it and I have a few nice axes and billhooks to choose from.

Mark

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
Have a word with Nic Westermann, he's just started making some different axes, and if the rest of his tools are anything to go by they will be superb! And you would be supporting one of our own local boys ;)

Thanks Paul :)

I also have the Kubben and it is great although I found it a little small; so I came up with these:

axesandspoons.jpg

I have been playing with various weights between 400-700g head weight. I have a few out on test and the feedback has been very good. I have When I scale it to this size (around 900g) I find that although it is better for removing wood and planing cuts tires my wrist suprisingly quickly.

adzehandle.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE