Can Someone Review My Gear List Please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 26, 2015
Birmingham, UK
Have you been influenced by Reese Witherspoon? If so, thats cool. :) I havent read through all the thread, Id just end up repeating what others had said probably. Good luck and have great fun! [Im rather impetious, and get my wrists slapped at times. For instance my first solo canoe trip was paddling right through scotland.]

Reese Witherspoon!? Whut. (no really what do you mean lmao I have no idea)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
As with most tools, you need to know how to use a compass to get the best from it, practice is needed and it needs to be used in context :)
On my Summer ML assessment (in snow-bound Western Lakes in December!) I got a bit of hassle from the assessor because I did not get out map and compass every time he asked the name of a random hill or tarn. He said I should not rely on local knowledge - I said that I had not be in the area before but had looked at the map earlier, kept myself aware of our direction/location from relating the ground to what I had seen on the map earlier and was right each time I named a feature and was proven to be within 100 yards of our actual position without getting my hands frozen by getting the map and compass out - closer than some who did resections to get our position... :)
I doubt I could be that good now but I still rarely need map and compass on hills I know well - but I carry them anyway as a bit of practice never hurts!
I have always loved maps and navigation and the skill has been the main thing that got me CSE Geog at school (grade 1 - I also got the o level but was put in for both exams as I was "border-line" - I only studied the O Level course) and secured me some of my jobs in outdoor centers...
Having compass skills has saved me severe blushes, if not my life, in really challenging terrain and weather on more than one trip...I do not own any kind of GPS...

Mar 26, 2015
Birmingham, UK
As with most tools, you need to know how to use a compass to get the best from it, practice is needed and it needs to be used in context :)
On my Summer ML assessment (in snow-bound Western Lakes in December!) I got a bit of hassle from the assessor because I did not get out map and compass every time he asked the name of a random hill or tarn. He said I should not rely on local knowledge - I said that I had not be in the area before but had looked at the map earlier, kept myself aware of our direction/location from relating the ground to what I had seen on the map earlier and was right each time I named a feature and was proven to be within 100 yards of our actual position without getting my hands frozen by getting the map and compass out - closer than some who did resections to get our position... :)
I doubt I could be that good now but I still rarely need map and compass on hills I know well - but I carry them anyway as a bit of practice never hurts!
I have always loved maps and navigation and the skill has been the main thing that got me CSE Geog at school (grade 1 - I also got the o level but was put in for both exams as I was "border-line" - I only studied the O Level course) and secured me some of my jobs in outdoor centers...
Having compass skills has saved me severe blushes, if not my life, in really challenging terrain and weather on more than one trip...I do not own any kind of GPS...

I tried looking online for basic compass and OS map reading skills, but all the guides are either badly written (make things too mathematical and complex), or they don't provide the info. Any suggestions on a good guide?

I can read an urban map no problem (because let's face it, what isn't signposted and/or landmarked these days), but rural maps are different, because hills are hills are hills lol.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Pack (got already)
Dry Bags (got already)
Get a separate one for your sleeping bag, wrap spare socks etc.. in freezer bags, this way its easier to grab specific bits of kit and even if something falls on the ground when the main drybag is open its still kept dry.

Stove, Cooking pot, Spork (ordered, on the way)
Forget it if its one of those plastic sporks, take a proper kfs from the kitchen if your cooking proper meals.

Water purifier, e.g. SteriPen
You'll also need a filter bag of some sorts, such as the milbank or equivalent, i've always just used puri-tabs or boiling never bothered with a UV light, remember to take spare batteries if you do.

Hiking poles
Good idea, can be used as tarp poles too

Weatherproof Coat
Make sure this is a good quality one, that comes below the waist slightly, with a good hood. It WILL rain, be ready. If its sunny for all of your trip put a lottery ticket on.

Walking Boots
Best to get mid to high length, low cut boots will let water in too easy when going through the tall grass that will be everywhere. If possible don't bother with Goretex, in heavy rain you socks will seep water into your boots anyway.

Neck Warmer
Good Idea

Harvey's Map of A/K Way
Good choice, very durable, i'd still invest in a decent map case

Tent

Sleeping Bag (I found an 0.8lb one, but it's pushing £250! Cheaper ones, around £40, weigh almost 6lbs! Do I go for weight or cost?)
Go for a mid-range synthetic. Down is great but must be kept dry.

Camel Bag 2-3L
Issue thermobacks are available cheaply from surplus stores and are cracking bits of kit.

Leakproof water bottle 1L

Sleeping Mat
I'd recommend a full length one

Socks
Wool, plenty of. Dry them by wringing them out then having them in you sleeping bag (Only if synthetic) or in your pockets during the day

Waterproof trousers
Again, don't skimp on quality, make sure your jacket covers the waistline

Generic walking trousers

Gaiters
Good idea, these will help keep water + bits of grass out of your boots and socks. A cheap pair would be fine

Crampons (It can be icy or snowy in Scotland in March... maybe MicroSpikes will work better... maybe I don't need anything?)
In march think more Cold and Wet rather than Snowy & Icy, if you need crampons up there you'll need an ice axe too, personally i would avoid this type of weather unless you have some prior experience. It can snow in march of course and the nights can be below freezing, but it shouldn't be a daily occurrence.

Head lamp
Check out the petzl e-light

Multi tool/knife

Firestarter/lighter
I'd recommend a couple of cheap Bic's

Compass
Anything Silva, Suunto, or Recta,,,,with a decent sized baseplate.

Thank you, would be VERY much appreciated! I'm so bad at this kind of thing D:

Hope some of this helps, i'm quite lucky to be close enough to the highlands to get there and back on a weekend easy. When it rains it really does rain. Also be very aware of orographic rain, which occurs often and can soak you through. Bring enough spare clothes so you can sleep dry and you'll be fine.

Tonyuk

Last edited:

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
I tried looking online for basic compass and OS map reading skills, but all the guides are either badly written (make things too mathematical and complex), or they don't provide the info. Any suggestions on a good guide?

I can read an urban map no problem (because let's face it, what isn't signposted and/or landmarked these days), but rural maps are different, because hills are hills are hills lol.

Check out here,

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/education-research/teaching-resources/map-reading-leaflets.html

Also google map reading handbooks, loads of good resources will come up.

Tonyuk

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe

It's perhaps easier to learn it from someone teaching it, rather than from a book. We can run over the basics in November.

J

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE