Can Someone Review My Gear List Please?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Hexham, Northumberland
Something that popped in to my head this afternoon was a powerbank for your phone.
Also sign up to the text 999 service (think this was mentioned somewhere before...)

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

bearbait

Some PCT thoughts...
Normally UK residents get 90 days 'free' in the US under the Visa Waiver program. If you're going to spend several months on the PCT you'll likely need a proper visa so will need to apply sometime in advance.

As to sleeping in bear country I'd rather a tent than a tarp. At least a tent gives you a few seconds more notice than a tarp when the bear stops by to lick the remnants of last night's curry off your face. To counter that I have seen tarp dwellers in bear country but very very few. And I also seem to recall one of our US parishioners here describing hammock dwellers as potential bear tacos.

Not sure about the rules on the PCT but IIRC some States and National Parks over there mandate the use of a bear safe, or bear vault, for backpackers for your fodder (and toiletries), stored someway from camp, and/or suspended out of Bruin's reach.

But all this, of course, is still a few months away!

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2015
Birmingham, UK
Some PCT thoughts...
Normally UK residents get 90 days 'free' in the US under the Visa Waiver program. If you're going to spend several months on the PCT you'll likely need a proper visa so will need to apply sometime in advance.

As to sleeping in bear country I'd rather a tent than a tarp. At least a tent gives you a few seconds more notice than a tarp when the bear stops by to lick the remnants of last night's curry off your face. To counter that I have seen tarp dwellers in bear country but very very few. And I also seem to recall one of our US parishioners here describing hammock dwellers as potential bear tacos.

Not sure about the rules on the PCT but IIRC some States and National Parks over there mandate the use of a bear safe, or bear vault, for backpackers for your fodder (and toiletries), stored someway from camp, and/or suspended out of Bruin's reach.

But all this, of course, is still a few months away!

A few years away! Not going until 2018 :) The list is generally a 'hiking and camping list'. I live in England, so 99% of my camping to that point will be done either here or in the rest of the UK. Yeah I'm getting the other VISA that gives up to 12 months.

I say 'gear list' because most of the important stuff I don't intend to have several expensive versions off hehe.

Mar 26, 2015
Birmingham, UK
Rachel, does your trip have to be a fifty mile hike during the tale end of a Scottish winter given your level of actual experience? If the weather goes breast up you could end up...dead.

I'm a brummie by birth and you are only two or three hours away from the Brecon Beacons and Snowdonia and I'd suggest a few trips to one or both locations. Don't underestimate the Welsh weather, in the past I've experienced snow and gale force winds in April/May.

Good look with your plans but please listen to the advice thats been posted here by people with way more experience and knowledge than you and I.

If you've actually been reading my replies you'll know that I already said I'm not averse to changing my plans should my weather-watching show that it's not going to work in my favour. I am listening to each and every thread, but as I mentioned before - this is about my gear right now, not specifically about what hike or location I am going to (which can be prone to change, as plans are). So, yes, I know I could end up dead going to the wrong place, or making the wrong decision. Do not worry, I am not stepping foot onto a trail until I am ready.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Have you been influenced by Reese Witherspoon? If so, thats cool. :) I havent read through all the thread, Id just end up repeating what others had said probably. Good luck and have great fun! [Im rather impetious, and get my wrists slapped at times. For instance my first solo canoe trip was paddling right through scotland.]

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If you've actually been reading my replies you'll know that I already said I'm not averse to changing my plans should my weather-watching show that it's not going to work in my favour. I am listening to each and every thread, but as I mentioned before - this is about my gear right now, not specifically about what hike or location I am going to (which can be prone to change, as plans are). So, yes, I know I could end up dead going to the wrong place, or making the wrong decision. Do not worry, I am not stepping foot onto a trail until I am ready.

Did you understand my reply really? I'm not knocking you or your plans but you seem to 'cherry pick' stuff that suits you which is not always a good approach.

Get off your bottom and to up to Snowdonia or come down to the Beacons, learn, then go off to Scotland. You can buy all the kit you like but if you don't know what your doing your just wasting money and time.

Mozzi

Tenderfoot
Aug 9, 2015
Brighton
I'm trying to knock up a gear list, and it's just getting longer and more expensive by the second. On one hand I do want to buy decent, long-lasting stuff, on another hand I don't know much about hiking and camping gear therefore I don't know what's actually decent and what's just expensive.

This gear is designed for multi-day hikes, mostly in cold climates (obviously for warm climates, just remove the cold stuff as necessary)

On a more specific level, the hike I'm presently planning for is a 50 mile hike across the Scottish Highlands. There will likely be rain, and wind, and a chance of ice or snow a little too.

Someone please in the name of all that is holy help me make my list shorter (or perhaps suggest some nice cheap but decent things) :lmao: I'm a notorious 'over packer'. Haaaalp.

Pack (got already)
Dry Bags (got already)
Stove, Cooking pot, Spork (ordered, on the way)

Use a small folding wood stove where possible as it avoids the need for fuel as it'll be all around you.
Apart from that the "primus" brand won't let you down. if you use threaded cartridges go to a fishing store and buy a carp fishing neoprene sleeve for it to heal insulate it as they get VERY cold!

Water purifier, e.g. SteriPen

For lightweight options, I'd take a small hand held pump action and some chlorine dioxide tablets (life systems)

Hiking poles

I use a hand carved owl head model given to my grandfather many moons ago, but I advise going into the woods and grabbing a suitable stick :lmao:

Weatherproof Coat

Does it need to be the main coat? or is it a waterproof layer to bring out when needed? if so I'd look at many compact "stash" type clothes sold around

Walking Boots

Pop into sports direct and wait for the karrirmor brand to go on sale, can get decent walking boots for 20 quid and renew them each season! or splash out on some customs. never buy top brand 200+ boots as you can get custom fitted ones for that kind of cashinziii

Neck Warmer

BUFFFFFFFFFF

Harvey's Map of A/K Way
Tent

Can you not just use a hammock? tent wise look at the light weight 1 person long funny looking things.

Sleeping Bag (I found an 0.8lb one, but it's pushing £250! Cheaper ones, around £40, weigh almost 6lbs! Do I go for weight or cost?)

How cold do you mind being? I just bought a snug pack softie 4 and whilst fairly bulky it does pack down and does weight TOO much.

Camel Bag 2-3L

I don't use them and thus won't pass comment as I would hate to give bad advise.
Leakproof water bottle 1L

Nalgene triton narrow mouth, get from cotswold outdoor online. tenner or summit.

Sleeping Mat

Snugpack travelite.

Socks

Darn toughs, plus some waterproof sealskins. your anatomical make up won't allow you to pee in a bottle inside a tent without a bloody horrific mess. you can nip out in sealskins and do your business with dry feet, without mucking about getting kit on.

Waterproof trousers

Not sure on light weight but either brants or viddc pro from fjallraven think they have lady shapes too! not massively waterproof once the wax fades out but should last your trip. aforementioned "stash" clothing has bottom options.

Generic walking trousers

read above.

Gaiters

most brands are decent, not tried many so again won't give bad advise.

Crampons (It can be icy or snowy in Scotland in March... maybe MicroSpikes will work better... maybe I don't need anything?)

errr.......teefookbeethey?!?! again no advise to offer sadly!

Head lamp

Spend 60+ on a good petzl tikka or similar, then have a secondary back up.

Multi tool/knife

Get a full sized leather man and a mora heavy duty companion.

Firestarter/lighter

lmf fire steel which you can get in bundle deals with the mora, take a few sticks of fatwood (don't get ripped off buying small amounts, PM me and I'll send you some) plus something to easily catch a spark, cotton would be a good choice.

Compass

silva or this other brand I cant remember the name of, bushcraft store have some, better than silva.

Thank you, would be VERY much appreciated! I'm so bad at this kind of thing D:

on another note, pack a REALLY good whistle, a survival foil blanket, a decent first aid kit, a really bright item of clothing to wear if you have an accident and an old nokia brick phone, with a tenner credit, wrapped in tissue paper in a plastic bag.

treat the feet! and no I don't mean a stylish pedicure but massage them each evening (may pong a bit if not near a shower) use a foot powder, carry spare socks etc. also in winter believe t or not if the sun does shine a bit of sun cream wouldn't go amiss.

Have a insect bite click thing too.

Also take teabags. you'll succumb to starvation in a couple of weeks, dehydration in days. the elements over night but you WILL DIE without regular cups of tea within hours.

tallywhacker

Forager
Aug 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Hi, long distance hiking is something i do often, hopefully this is of some help. In short i follow the 'pack light, travel far, travel fast, avoid hard shells' ethos combo. Naturally, conventionalists and theorists are going to scowl at some of this and potentially consider me a liability, but it works very well for a great many in the real world, including myself. I see some heer agree with at least some of it. Apologies for the bulk or repetition, i struggle to word things, plus i don't know how much you already know or have researched (better to be fully comprehensive than leave loose ends).

As a forenote, if you are just getting into it, don't rush out buying stuff. This is more of a reference for as you expand your kit. Start with what you have easily available, test the water. For the most part i have tried to recommend gear that can get you under 10kg pack weight with a couple of days food, on a budget (feels heavier than you might expect, over 10kg is too heavy for me to be comfortable despite being used to backpacking). In some cases i have suggested quality only, some things (sleeping bag, boots) can put people off if sourced cheaply. Some things also sound expensive, but work out cost effective when you consider cost of everyday options and top end gear (layered clothing, for example).

I would suggest planning to setup a base camp on your first walk and find day walks in the area circling around camp; building up to multi-day, roaming, load carrying hikes (since it sounds like you will have to travel to get out and about). I'm going to mention some good fells next to try before the scottish highlands, but before these suggestions moorlands or places like grizedale forest are the best place to test the water and refine kit. Don't go straight into the fells.

The greater langdale valley would be an ideal place for progression, epic scenery, and there is a camp site / pub in the valley. There are some cracking simple walks like pike o blisco, cold pike, crinkle crags, the traverse on bowfell onto the great slab, angle tarn, stickle tarn, and not to be forgotten 'sugar loaf', AKA the pike o stickle with it's neolithic era axe factory caves to view. After a bit of experience, if you get very daring, have good balance and do your research thoroughly there is also the more challenging exposed stuff like jacks rake on pavey arc; but be warned, do your research and think objectively, it might be 'only a grade 1 scramble' in the guide books, but if you fall or trip you ain't living. I only mention this route because you might read the guides and think 'it'll be fine', plus the langdale valley is the kind of place that makes you want to visit again, so it's something to work up to.

Another great valley: wasdale. Similar arrangement. Home to scafell pike (a relatively speaking easy walk in all honesty and the highest place in england, the corridor route over piers gill is the most fun and least used), scafell [not scafell pike] via lords rake (proceed with caution as there is a boulder chocked at the top of the rake still, but it is feels epic and is physically straight forward), great gable (standard route), the mosedale horseshoe (pillar, steeple, red pike) and finally yewbarrow via the great door (a great place to get used to scrambling and find out if you would be ok with more exposed stuff, but only if you are ok with heights and exposure, there is a very steep scramble as you approach red pike, it might unsettle you). Another route is the climbers traverse on great gable, referred to as 'threading the needle'. Another to return for and build up to, it's very exposed and not for everyone, don't take that one lightly either. Kirk fell is another one, but it's a notorious trudge i would avoid it tbh, it's everything bad about hiking in one package albeit easy skill wise.

Both of these valleys make great central hubs for walks. I would be happy to guide you and some of your friends on any of these walks if you wanted a safety net, i live in the lake district and am out all the time anyway.

Keep snow walks in the high fells until you are experienced, the pace is different, the gear is different and the mind set is different.

Anyway, gear. This is just what i prefer for mountain/ high fell walks and scrambles. 'Hike your own hike' and don't feel as if you have to take it all in on the first read, there is a massive amount of technicality to hiking gear (i found the whole thing very overwhelming to begin with); but i spared few details, there is enough info in here to take you anywhere from lowland walks, to some rather serious places. :)

Water purifier, e.g. SteriPen
Sawyer mini teamed with chlorine tabs, no question. Very versatile, but as with any filtration 'in the field' you will need to focus on risk assessment primarily over relying on the filter (agricultural run off and blue/green algae for example cannot be field filtered, i can provide sources for this if you like). Boiling is practical for camp, but no so much when you need to keep pace in the fells and avoid carrying excess water weight. That sawyer mini is pure gold, cheap as they come, smallest and lightest on the market, good micron rating too. The trade off i believe is a shorter life span than the larger sawyer or the MSR. The pumped filters are heavier and bulkier, but they are faster. Steripens, meh, would be the last thing i would personally carry.

This is a simplified 'best practice guide' to water with this combo: It looks rank, has surface algae or is near a farm? Don't touch it. Suspect virus? Well virus don't live long in water, but add chlorine AFTER using the gravity filter. Suspect bacteria? Use the gravity filter. It looks clean AND is at high altitude or source level and their is no animal faeces? I just drink it as it is, but i'm used to it. In doubt? Move on.

The reason why you should use chlorine tablets after mechanical filtration (sawyer mini) for virus' is because virus' can live within particulate, protecting them from chlorine treatment and boiling. But like i say, virus' are pretty much a non-issue, especially in the UK. Also, with gravity filters be sure to back flush after use with clean water. It is also important to keep 'contaminated bottles' [sawyer reservoir] away from your clean collection bottle and back flushed [thus clean] filter unit (often overlooked).

Hiking poles
Alpkit carbonlite - the best you will get for the money. Very light, great length, they work well.

Weatherproof Coat

Rule #1: layer, don't buy all in one jackets. Rule #2: don't expect to stay completely (or even reasonably) dry in prolonged or wind driven rain in the mountains. Rule #3: block the wind. There are different approaches to layering, this is mine:

The lightest, unlined shell you can find, don't worry about which membrane you choose. Waterproof and breathable is a myth in weather that actually demands a shell. When fabric wets out it doesn't breath (all will wet out if the rain is heavy and constant, any DWR is overwhelmed); pit zips and pocket vents are more important than membrane while hiking if it comes to wearing a hard shell.

Why a light shell and not a winter weight hard shell? It should only be pulled out when rain or wind get's serious, well chosen mid layers will make getting wet by any residual penetration no problem and should deal with all but the heaviest prolonged rain. If you use good base and mid layers, teamed with a pertex windshirt (they are also showerproof), you will also be comfortable even if wet, so a light shell is acceptable and for more packable. If you do get wet, you dry fast with proper venting or no hard shell if you hike fast or naturally 'run warm', even in constant showers. Sounds like bullsh*t but don't knock it till you try it. There is little profit in base layers and wind shirts as they are so basic, plus massive money has been invested in membranes so companies are reluctant to back track. Check out andy kirkpatricks site, there is a lot of nonsense going around about layering systems and shells and this guy knows his stuff, he cuts the cr*p. The following article goes into more detail: http://andy-kirkpatrick.com/articles/view/the_best_softshell_in_the_world

This is possibly sounding complicated, it gave me a headache writing it, so i will give an example for 3 season use:
- A quality, tight fitting, light-weight merino base layer (don't skimp on this, it's a key component).
- Next, a snug fitting, thin, polartec powerdry/powergrid fabric mid layer (NOT polartec windpro or powershield pro). Or, if on a strict budget, a very thin, cheap, unlined microfibre fleece. Any of these will work together with your base layer to wick moisture from the body (keeps you cool in hot weather), you get warmth from these garments from the next step if it is windy.
- Next, a vented wind shirt. You get to choose between vented cooling (evaporative heat loss) and wind blocking based insulation (traps the dead air in mid/base garments). The wind shirt is key, making the very most out of minimal insulation and preventing the need to get windproof versions (extra cost and weight, often too warm) of every garment you may want to add for colder climates.
- Of course, if it is a rather warm, still day you will want to remove the mid layer and wind shirt.
- So far you have full potential for breathability for quick drying and comfort as there is no membrane to overwhelm.
- Rain gets crazy, i put on a minimalist, non fancy, hard shell top because i am no longer expecting to dry out, the rain is too heavy at this point.
- Result = faster drying, less layer switching (if any at all), lower cost than conventional layering systems.

An example of expected comfort: Without using a hard shell i was fine on the mosedale horseshoe this sunday in strong winds and moderate to heavy spells of rain (moderate by lake district standards, very wet place here). Temperature varied between around +12C in the valley with no wind chill down to -3/-4C after wind chill at the varying summits. No layers where changed or added while walking although i added a gillet during the stationary lunch break, i was cosy throughout. My friend who relies on his base layer, long sleeved running shirt, membraned fleece and event shell (people use them as a wind break in place of the wind shirt) had to keep stopping and was visibly and vocally uncomfortable.

Snug fitting Patagonia r1 series or a very thin buffalo style top would be a good mid layer to compliment this ethos, as would top quality merino base layers. Mid layer fabrics to note are thin forms of polartec powergrid and polartec powerdry (not heavier windpro or membraned power shield pro, they are counter intuitive to the philosophy). Any vented pertex wind shirt will do. Personally i mate this 'sounds expensive, but actually isn't' setup with a £15 regatta paclite hard shell for emergency and it is more than fit for purpose; it's not strictly speaking vented, but it is zip front and i make do since i barely use it. You should get everything on this list for around £150 +/- in sales.

It is VERY important to note though: if you walk slow (unlikely with a light pack and proper use of trecking poles) you won't dry yourself out well, in this case a heavier shell has a place unless it is <0C (no liquid precipitation). If you mooch around at summits, or for camp, your likely gonna want to take an extra mid layer like a patagonia r3 or gillet in conjunction with the 'true soft shell, avoid hard shell' approach.

If you really need to save money here, use synthetic cloths you already own and get a cheap minimalist, preferably vented shell. It won't be to comfortable but it will work against hypothermia. I would avoid poly cotton, it dries too slowly IMHO, even if it dries quicker than some other things cotton absorbs water.

Fun fact: the people you will see stopping/starting to switch layers, looking too hot / too cold and generally uncomfortable are nearly always relying on top end membraned fleece / membraned hard faced soft shell (polartec shield pro etc) mid layers and using top end membraned shells like gortex proshell or event; yet they will look at you as if your crazy as you pass them by at a fast pace in the wind and rain, without your shell, in skimpy mid layers and pertex top in total comfort. Some will even warn you about the weather you are already aware of. *shrugs* Don't waste your money. Membraned layers do work, but at greater expense on: comfort, faff factor and the bank.

Walking Boots
Light, and don't presume you need boots for what you expect to do. Weight on the feet is worse than weight on the back (energy conservation, weight on the back travels laterally, your feet zig zag up and down). For most typical fair weather day hiking, including some 'intense' scrambles like jacks rake, i currently use trail runners and proceed with caution. Dexterity is key in technical footware most of the time, you typically trade it off for support. How to explain it better, boots can be clumsy and trigger a sprain situation, if your coordination is good and the trail allows (most common fell walks), trail runners are fine and very light on the feet; you will be less prone to encountering a sprain situation to begin with and full height boots are not impervious to sprains/breaks. Not for everyone though. I would check out the salomon trail runners for light load days if this sounds like your thing, they are widely accepted as the best trail runners out there comfort/weight wise and well priced.

Boots, if you can only afford one pair of footware get a boot; more versatile and a generally safer bet. If carrying load, feeling clumsy/tired, walking in slippery conditions or running down scree i currently use salomon quest 4d 2 gtx boots (£125 in the current sales, comfiest full height boot around imho, they also come in womens fit). They are very light for a full height boot and very quick to dry due to breathability. Salomons also come with a no nonsense 2 yr warranty, for £125 in the sales (now) that's a garunteed quality, lightweight, waterproof, comfortable, female fit boot with no break in period at a maximum of £62.50 a year, less if they last longer than the 2yr warranty period; but try before you buy with the socks you will be using (fit), make sure your toes won't touch the ends on an incline. The salomons typically run half a size larger if you can't try them before you buy, and come in half sizes. The lowers are nubuck leather outers over a synthetic inner, apply g-wax to deter scuffs on the nubuck; the uppers are a hard wearing cordura style fabric.

Leather would be about the worst choice for multi day or long distance hikes (especially 'sherpa' leather, less so with nubuck): slow to dry, heavy, typically stiffer, higher maintenance and frankly no more durable than a quality synthetic like ballistic nylon. Very much out dated for hiking, but they look the part and traditionalists trust them. My friend uses 'lightweight' top of the range nubuck leather meindl bhutan's (against my humble advice) and against the advice of every trained shop keeper he spoke to the day he bought them. Over half a kilo heavier for a pair, his still feet hurt over distance (15+ miles) after 7-8 long distance walks, they dry slowly in my opinion, cost more, they barely flex and are already scuffed from scree despite a wax coating. The initial break in almost brought him to tears, he bled and he suffered. They will probably out last mine though due to the depth of the tread, but maybe not as they are a softer compound (the vibram soles are grippier than my hiking grade contragrip). He confidently says he made a good purchase, though i suspect this is in comparison to his previous old, heavy leather berghaus boots that fell to pieces after years of use; he also trusts leather as he it's what he is used to.

Whatever you choose, you can tweak the fit and to some degree the comfort level with after market insoles, such as the well reputed superfeet orange or greens. Well reputed in hiking circles, but im fine with standard flat, foam insoles.

For deep winter only, non climbing use, use a c1 rated (full flex walking crampons) with a b1 rated, soft compound (mountaineering contragrip or vibram sole) boot. Something like the salomon x-alp mtn gtx is hard to beat, if you don't mind the extra warmth and quicker tread wear they will do all year round but are better as a winter only boot. Fully crampon compatible with cupped c1 crampons, well insulated, around £130 in current sales. That is cheap for a good winter boot, and a good boot is worth having. They also make an expensive carbon chassis model with inbuilt neoprene gaiters, but that is overkill. To note, i just use thicker outer socks in my quests for winter, they also rated so take a c1crampon despite the lack of crampon rating as the flex is right, but likely only strapped crampons. Is use 'camp' strapped crampons with em, not sure which model they are heirlooms, more on them below.

Karrimor stuff is cheap cr*p, their trail runners fall to bits after a few intensive walks/scrambles, even the £80+ stuff. Definitely avoid d30 footware too, it's so soft it tears and gets sharp rocks stuck in it on scrambles. Merrels are decent boots, but wear fast. Some people love mammut's, i don't like the brand across the board, but that's me. Some cheaper boots are decent, but, better boots like the salomons (or similar quality brands like scarpa/meindl) flex well lengthways, but not much width ways. This makes 'edging' more stable, important for trickier scrambles and the likes. You won't get that from a cheap boot, not in the same way.

Neck Warmer
none, take a mid weight balaclava. If it's windy enough to need a buff your face is going to be getting blasted by cold winds too (not fun, but makes you feel alive for sure).

Tent
Try a tarp tent (minimalist tent, no poles [use your hiking poles]) or bivvi and tarp. MUCH lighter and smaller, tents are over rated, comparatively expensive and bulky (even the smaller ones).
Check these tarp tents: http://www.trekkertent.com/home/home/3-stealth.html (they are named 3 season, but very usable for a 4 season minimalist).
Bivvi bags: Alpkit hunka, get the large if you use down insulation.
Hammocks: Pretty much useless in the fells unless you intend to drop to the tree line every night, if there even are suitably strong and deep rooted tree's nearby. Even if you plan to be near woods on walks things don't always work out as planned, been there, wasn't fun. If you are doing a simple over nighter though and intend to drop into a valley you know for a fact has suitable tree's, then they are great.

Sleeping Bag (I found an 0.8lb one, but it's pushing £250! Cheaper ones, around £40, weigh almost 6lbs! Do I go for weight or cost?)
Weight, no doubts. Do not underestimate the importance of pack weight if you can afford it. Sleeping bags are one of the 'big three' weight savers, and you will notice. This is the one thing you want to spend on over anything else.

I don't like bags though so i can't recommend one, i prefer top hammock/hiking quilt's, they synergise well with the matt suggestions to follow. Draughts are a non issue if you get the correct fit and quilts, they can clip to a ground matt if you are concerned though. Compressed insulation under your back is pointless. If you are set on a bag get a womens one.

Snugpack and DD make a bulky, relatively top quilt that isn't all that warm but is cheap. UK hammocks make down top quilt's to order (get overstuff if you choose this). Enlightened equipment make a light, low bulk synthetic for wet climates (import only). Katabatic are the cream of the crop, but highly expensive and complete overkill. You will find em fairly cheap used on hammock forums and here from time to time, but for ground use you will need wider than you would in a hammock, wider again if you are a side sleeper. If you are a large, ground dwelling side sleeper you may find returns diminished, but they will still be noticeably present over a full bag.

Personally, i made my own from pertex and climashield apex with a zipped footbox, it was rather easy (if time consuming) but not much cheaper.

Camel Bag 2-3L
Heavy and no more reliable than a platy system in reality, I would either use a platy or dromlite with hose, possibly even an osprey. I actually use the hydromedary, but had to import from japan at great cost (it's as good as they get though). They are good, they keep water on tap and close to you back where the weight should be, but a bottle mounted on a shoulder strap, with say a mammut bottle holder or even shock cord makes a good partner for juice / energy drinks. Small powerade bottles hold onto shoulder straps well with shock cord.

Leakproof water bottle 1L
Platy, can be used as a hot water bottle too. Light enough to carry multiple spares and take up no space.

Sleeping Mat
Half length, not full. You just don't need to double the bulk and weight for your legs, you can use a small sit pad or your bag for your feet. I use the self inflating multimat expedition compact 38 (£30 on ebay), warmer than i could ever need and incredibly comfortable as it is thicker than usual matts and has 'differntial density' around the torso, a 25mm would be fine though. These self inflatables take the optional extra thermarest chair kits, so double up as a fiddly but comfortable camp chair that works until you are drunk (then you fall over backwards constantly which is amusing for others). The thermarest chair kits are far better than the multimat ones btw.

If you want lighter still at a big comfort and bulk penalty try a thick thermarest foam pad and cut it to length, avoid the skinny pound shop things they are sh*te, no comfort at all.

You can get blow up matts like the neo-air that are lighter than self inflating for a given length, but they need to be thicker for warmth as they have no open cell foam inside to trap air, so if you use a half length one they can hurt the knees due to the height difference. The full lengths neo airs, while heavier and more expensive than most half length self inflators, are lighter than full length self inflaters and leagues ahead in comfort if you don't sleep well while camping; they need a 'pump bag' but are one of the best lightweight, full length matts you can get. I would consider them close to 'glamping kit' because i am dead set that full length is a waste; if maximum comfort is a big issue for you though, consider one.

Socks
Merino liner, mid weight outer (synth or wool). Any hiking brand that has a proper toe box (no seam at the front). Merino dries slower, but your feet are gonna sweat so you might as well have the comfort of wool liner socks. Sealskins make cheap ones, but they are not great. You will get what you pay for.

Waterproof trousers
Debatable that you need them. Quick dry wind proof pants are fine even in heavy rain. If you want the security go as light as possible really. ip legs are pretty much essential. I never use em, but i keep some packlite's in the bag in case wind gets serious. It's the wind that gets you, not moisture.

Generic walking trousers
Anything quick dry and semi windproof. Removable legs are very useful as overheating is common, but can rip on tough scrambles. Anything from mountain warehouse to fjallraven will do fine.

Gaiters
No point in them with quick dry pants (even without tbh) unless your in thick snow and you want to stop clumping on your boots. If you are gonna come across that and do need them anything will do, go light, you will hardly use em tbh.

Crampons (It can be icy or snowy in Scotland in March... maybe MicroSpikes will work better... maybe I don't need anything?)
I suggest micro spikes or any c1 crampon that is suitable for your chosen boots for heavy snow or ice on high fells; microspikes will do for any lowland stuff. For c2/c3 crampons (semi/full rigid climbing crampons [c3 are for proper ice climbing where you are going to 'toe in' constantly, not typical winter hikes]) you need stiff b2/b3 rated boots, too stiff for everyday walking tbh, probably not best for you right now unless your sights are set high. Use the wrong type for your boot and they will pop off due to differences in flex.
-Removable points come with a weight penalty.
-Aluminium points wear down rather quickly.
-Strap style crampons are fiddly with gloves, but work on a broader range of boots, in that they will fit on some boots that have no crampon rating due to a lack of appropriate mount points for 'cups' (most quality hiking boots); you still have to match up the flexiblity though.

Head lamp
Get a good petzl, when it's dark you need the lumens and efficiency.

Multi tool/knife
Small SAK, i have all sorts of knives now and always take the smallest on long distance unless it is a bushcraft based trip, then i take a 4" fixed blade and saw.

Firestarter/lighter
Bic/clipper lighter and a fire steel.

Compass
Get a decent one (can't recommend a brand, had the same one for years and the name is scratched off). Points to note with a compass:

- The primary port of call should be prior research and common sense. A compass to me is a failsafe, but by no means do i mean not to carry or use one. There are some folk who will pull them out every time they pull out a map, even if the visibility is perfect and there are obvious 'landmarks' to get a bearing off without a compass. What would those people do if they lost their compass?
- Near certain areas depending on the type of rock (bowfell being a great example) readings can be skewed due to relatively high magnetism. The fells around the greater langdale valley in particular have quite a lot of the offending rock. This can be enough to potentially become a problem in the kind of weather a compass is really needed, like fog, especially if you are not following an established trail. I have not personally had it become a big problem, but the potential is there.

Extra's, some situational:
- If you are in crampon territory, and not a proper climber, a mid length straight shaft ice axe is a good idea for reach and stability (acts a hiking pole on steep incline, or as intended, a pick), more useful than the crampons tbh. If you are going to get into ice climbing and using c2/c3 crampons an ergonomic handle is better than straight, as found on the petzl's.
- A phone and small power bank for longer trips.
- A good whistle.
- Good quick dry gloves and a minimalist shell mitten. I layer my gloves: rab meco liner > sealskins merino liner (extra warmth, not always used) > m14 climbing gloves [petzl's are good too] (scrambling/wind break/tooling) > waterproof mitten shell (heavy wind/rain break). For deeper snowy winter i would look for something like rab cascades or baltoro's in place of an m14 style. You can find similar on a budget from surplus stores, if you are not tooling a simple wool mitt and shell would work well. Condor also do a budget 'tactical' glove that would substitute a milder weather tooling glove. Yes, layering like this kind of contradicts what i said earlier about membraned layers, but your hands feel the cold more than they feel the heat and don't really need full breathability.
- A hat like a lowe mountain cap that will fit over your balaclava and not blow off in the wind.
- Dried foods (unless its a short [sub 15 mile] day hike or specifically a comfort camp).
- A small flare and first aid kit can be a good idea.
- If you don't have camping gear a SOL bivvi can be useful in heavy snow, but if your layering is well thought out and you have contingencies/knowledge of the area it is not needed in most situations.
- A watch if you don't have a smartphone.
- A small amount of nylon fabric tape AND duct tape for gear repairs on multi day hikes can be a good idea.
- Money, notes and some change.

Just to reiterate, spend the money on good boots and sleeping bag, the rest can be picked up cheap or 'quality used', especially from ebay/forums/surplus (and still be relied upon).

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I pretty much agree with tally on the softshell vs hardshell stuff. (Good post btw)

One thing you can easily try and get used to is wearing a windshirt on your training walks. (They are cheap and so useful you deffo want one)
it gives you a good idea of how little clothing you actually need to wear when moving with a purpose

tallywhacker

Forager
Aug 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Hey thanks man, given me plenty to consider!

No worries at all, happy to help! It's a great hobby for the body and soul, i hope you get plenty of enjoyment from it. I just got done tidying the post up a bit so the format might be different, but the content is the same for future reference.

I pretty much agree with tally on the softshell vs hardshell stuff. (Good post btw)

Cheers lad, i wasn't sure if i went too far with it.

Mar 26, 2015
Birmingham, UK
If anyone out there knows of any outlets or websites that sell plus sized (and by that I mean 20+, not the fake plus sized that a size 14 would struggle to fit into) outdoor gear for women, please let me know. I've spent many miserable hours online (and there is only one outdoor shop near me), and from reading reviews, it seems that 99% of 'large' outdoor gear goes up to about an 18, but seems to fit at least one size too small.

I have always had, regardless of my size, a real hourglass figure - there is a ten inch difference between my waist and hips/bust (I must be the only fat girl in existence who can feel ribs when she touches her waist) - so naturally I have to buy bigger, which in turn means absolutely nothing fits properly (it's been a lifelong struggle of knowing things will basically never, ever fit me properly).

I am happy to buy non-brand gear, but I do worry about lastability and functionality.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I agree with everything tallywhacker said apart from 'compasses are unreliable'. Unless you are in one of those (very rare) places where there are magnetic anomalies, compasses are utterly reliable. They just need skill and knowledge to use them.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I wonder if the description of compasses as "unreliable" could be explained please?
Except for very few and very localised abnormalities I have found compasses to be very reliable and a basic essential for good navigation.
I taught nav - both land and open water canoeing for many years, did a vast amount of backpacking, led expeds around the world, trained as an orienteering instructor and in all that time I have only found one duff compass - reversed polarity on the needle - straight from the factory!
Learn to use a compass and you will be much safer than going without - IMHO at least.
I would use a Wool Buff - not a dedicated balaclava - as the Buff can be worn as a balaclava when needed and is incredibly versatile ... being wearable from anything from a sweatband to a miniskirt! This is from personal experience!

Last edited:

Robmc

Nomad
Sep 14, 2013
St Neots Cambs
If it has not been suggested already, I would also take a bothy bag. Great for a quick stop and brew up in bad weather, or could save your life in an emergency.They are also lightweight and pack up small.

I carry a bothy bag, bivy bag and decent Rab down sleeping bag with me for Scottish winters. Gives me a lot of confidence when the weather gets bad.

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
If anyone out there knows of any outlets or websites that sell plus sized (and by that I mean 20+, not the fake plus sized that a size 14 would struggle to fit into) outdoor gear for women, please let me know. I've spent many miserable hours online (and there is only one outdoor shop near me), and from reading reviews, it seems that 99% of 'large' outdoor gear goes up to about an 18, but seems to fit at least one size too small.

I have always had, regardless of my size, a real hourglass figure - there is a ten inch difference between my waist and hips/bust (I must be the only fat girl in existence who can feel ribs when she touches her waist) - so naturally I have to buy bigger, which in turn means absolutely nothing fits properly (it's been a lifelong struggle of knowing things will basically never, ever fit me properly).

I am happy to buy non-brand gear, but I do worry about lastability and functionality.

i sympathise with you Rachel as my wife has the same problem. Haven't got much to recommend I'm afraid but if you want to go down the pertex windshirt route, Buffalo will make custom versions of their products to your size requirements - contact Penrith Survival and they'll help you with that. Hope it helps.
For cheap synthetic mid layers, have a look in Primark - certainly not technical in any way but cheap and do larger sizes.

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
Penrith went belly up a month or so ago.
Thats a shame I used the shop fairly regularly (and the old one in Morland) but had resisted the temptation to go these last few months (always ended up buying something &#128540;) - I'll miss it.
still regarding the Buffalo stuff, I'm sure another supplier should be able to place a custom order, I just recommended Penrith Survival because I'd had good service there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE