Really wet weather clothing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
South Wales, and most of the rest of the UK, is in the middle of a major wet spell right now. We're on our second amber warning from the Met. Office for heavy rain and flood risk in 3 days.

So, when you absolutely have to be outside and the weather is absolutely chucking it, and you have to break out the waterproof coat and trousers, what do you reach for as your tried and trusted gear?

Mine is a Mountain Equipment Ogre XCR jacket in bright red (which is why I got it - end of line sale at £100 off, and if I need rescuing in bad weather I want to be seen), and Mountain Equipment PacLite overtrousers. These are two of my most expensive bits of kit, but I'm just back from walking the dog, the rain was heavy and unrelenting, and I'm dry.

What have you got?

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
If I'm on a trip, its either my Paramo Quito or a Polaris cycling waterproof. A Tilley hat keeps a rain shadow over my head.

Legs are Go-Lite Reed overtrousers for summer or Keela Munro salopettes for colder work.

Pottering around the locality, I take an umbrella :) :eek:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Funnily enough, I use Regatta waterproof trousers too. They don't leak, they've taken mud, bog, fieldwalking in the Lakes, snow, hail and torrential rain, and they're still sound :)

My jacket's a Lowe Alpine triple point ceramic one though, but when that gets saturated, and it does, all goretexy type things do when they get muddy, I wear a Trespass non breathable but stops the deluge, jacket, that I bought in a garden centre........and a brolly is surprising useful :)

cheers,
M

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Depends on enviroment , work/hunting/backwoods or mountain ? And duration ? The best trousers I've got are vaude alpinist pant (triple eVent) for mountain duration butI'm suspecting I can let them go now I've discovered Larksen .
I favour my ventile smock if I'm backwoods. For mountain I used to have a mountain hardwear jkt that was the best. Sadly I lost it :eek:
For hunting , I have an old canvas coat that takes some beating when its hard rain.

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk 2

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Depends.

If i'm mainly stationary then i'll wear my motorcycling gear.
It's waterproof but doesn't breath very well though, so if i'm active i have a old Phoenix Gore-tex jacket and some old waterproof trousers i wear.

We tend not to get too much rain here though and 90% of the time in Athens it's warm enough that even if it's raining i don't bother with waterproof trousers.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Wax cotton jacket proofed more than once by me, bombproof
It works
I have a pair of regatta waterproof trousers as well but they are used as camp trousers on the move I have an old pair of British made? nylon over trousers made by Walrus lol
They work as well
Hat is more problematic for me Any suggestions ?

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Getting on well with the issue lightweight Pak Lite Gore Tex MTP jacket thing at work recently. It doesn't have a hood which doesn't really matter as I usually wear a hard hat at work. nor does it have pockets but that doesn't matter either.

Pit zips to get better airflow helps and its a proper lightweight jacket without a lining which I really like. Can't be done with jackets with linings as I generally wear layers to keep me warm and all the jacket has to do is keep me dry. Warm jackets cause me to overheat so I don't like wearing them.

In fact I'd go as far as to say that the current issue kit seems finally to be of good quality after years of it being tat to avoid.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
A Goretex jacket around town or the woods, sometimes an old wax jacket, waterproof trousers I have are Trespass/Regatta/army Goretex which all do the job, waxed baseball cap keeps my head, face and specs pretty much dry. 03:40 here, typing this in bed and the rain/wind has stopped (for a while) its been grim weather down here.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Wide brimmed waxed leather hat, long oilskin drover's coat, Regatta overtrousers & if really needed a pair of Regatta gaiters...........................oh, & German para boots:)

I probably look a right **** but it works & I'm a lot drier & warmer than those smirking behind my back :D

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
If we're talking seriously raining, I have British army goretex salopettes which I think we're excellent value at 15 quid rand new. And either a keela Munro or a goretex smock, but its the old type with arctic wired hood and chest pockets.

around town it's crag hoppers kiwi.

Elen Sentier

Wide brimmed waxed leather hat, long oilskin drover's coat, Regatta overtrousers & if really needed a pair of Regatta gaiters...........................oh, & German para boots:)

I probably look a right **** but it works & I'm a lot drier & warmer than those smirking behind my back :D

Glad to hear the hat really works - have put on my Yule prezzie list :D

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
The Mountain Equipment Ogre is superb and is my hill-walking jacket of choice - lightweight, waterproof and very breathable with a great hood that can be rolled away. Its Gore tex Pro Shell gives 27,000 g/m2/24 hrs breathability vs 17,000 for regular Goretex, 22,000 for eVent and 5-8,000 for most other proprietary breathable membranes.

I also like the Gore tex version of the Swazi Wapiti - heavy but longer and more bomb-proof feeling. Length in a jacket is great when it is really tipping down.

Best over-trousers would be Norrona Recon. However I find the Recon jacket a bit awkward in terms of cut and pockets. I notice people are always selling them on so I don't think I am the only one.

For all-round out-on-the hill shooting all day - waterproof, warm and tough, you can't beat the Harkila Pro Hunter jacket and trousers.

When it comes to turning really heavy rain, Gore tex rules, IMHO. I used to have Paramo, but I find it really doesn't work when standing around in the rain and not working hard. I do find that double Ventile really is waterproof, even in heavy rain, but after a while it gets so stiff it really can stand up on its own.

Last edited:

Ben98

Forager
Jun 30, 2010
West Yorkshire
For a jacket its my Jack Pike hunter Jacket, which is one piece of jack pike clothing that I wouldn't trade for the world! Its comfy, warm, very waterproof and as far as I have ever needed, breathable :)
Trouser wise I wear my deer hunter deer-tex trousers, whilst they may not be the most waterproof trousers but they are really comfy, which is the reason that I HATE waterproof over trousers. I just find them restrictive and sweaty.

Sent using the force

treelore

Nomad
Jan 4, 2008
Northamptonshire
mountain equipment konga jacket and trousers, or any of my Paramo's...... i always buy british makes as they are designed for this country and it's weather, not like most of the other makes lol

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
For the hills I wear a Rab Demand eVent smock and Berghaus PacLite trews, if I'm in the woods or in the canoe it's either a CI ventile smock or my Swazi Tahr, swedish Splinter camo goretex trews or my Norrona Dovre ProShell pants.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
I only have one pair of over pants - berghaus deluge, pretty light & breathable :)

If I'm walking any distance I'll use my marmot super mica jacket. Waterproof, breathable with pit cents too.

If I'm pretty stationary then it's got to be my wax jacket - bombproof

Sent from myPhone

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE