Today's Rainy Hike

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dan00001

Forager
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
I decided to get out for a walk in the rain today. There is something particularly special about getting out in adverse weather. This woods/mountain is only a 5 minute drive from my house, and I'm ashamed to admit that the first time I have been up here was this year, 2024. I simply didn't realise there was such a vast expanse of woodland here. I'm pretty impressed.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Five minutes from the house ?
That's brilliant :D
Fresh air, a good walk among the trees, watch the seasons change....and there's always stuff that grows beneath, even in the plantations. What are the edges like too ? the liminal zones can be rich habitats.

M

Reactions: Dan00001

Dan00001

Forager
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
Five minutes from the house ?
That's brilliant :D
Fresh air, a good walk among the trees, watch the seasons change....and there's always stuff that grows beneath, even in the plantations. What are the edges like too ? the liminal zones can be rich habitats.

M
I'm still working my way around the area and finding my bearings. There is farm land, a mountain with a peak of 377m. There is a lot of running water.
I went for another walk today, about a 5 mile round trip. There's a lot of potential camping spots.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Lot of resin by the look of it too :)
Useful stuff, and satisfying to play with.

Old pine plantations near us sprout a tremendous amount of fungi in season.

Woods that you can walk often are worthwhile becoming familiar with through the seasons. Those might be evergreen pines, but there are still changes in the woods, the understory, the edges of paths, etc.,

I hope it's a pleasure :)

Reactions: Dan00001 and Robbi

Dan00001

Forager
Nov 13, 2023
Wales
Lot of resin by the look of it too :)
Useful stuff, and satisfying to play with.

Old pine plantations near us sprout a tremendous amount of fungi in season.

Woods that you can walk often are worthwhile becoming familiar with through the seasons. Those might be evergreen pines, but there are still changes in the woods, the understory, the edges of paths, etc.,

I hope it's a pleasure :)
I thought the same. Next time I am out, I will be on the hunt for some fat wood. I have been increasing my knowledge on tree identification. I am going to try to get out often this year.

I also have another, smaller, denser woods closer to my house which we walk to, which requires crossing a bridge over a river which is currently closed for maintenance work.

Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE