Warm and Wet (but not in a good way)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Simple question - do/have any of you worn waterproof trousers without any 'normal' trousers beneath.
Just you, your undercrackers, then waterproofs.

I ask because I am on annual leave next week and the weather forecast is for warm (low 20s) weather with rain.
And I reckon that if I have normal trousers beneath my waterproofs it will get very sweaty.
My intention is some long walks, and there's no way the weather is going to beat me.
Just wondered what others had done.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Will the waterproofs not rub? I've a pair of quick drying trousers that I hate wearing when wet because they rub on bare legs.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I get a heat rash in such conditions so tend to go with a longish coat or poncho and shorts. Basically accept that from the knee down will get wet. Bit of a no win situation really. I used to wear sandal trainers which breath well but protect the toes more than open sandals.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Unless it's a deluge, I never wear waterproof trousers. I'm much happier, in the mixed weather you're describing, wearing lightweight, quick-drying, trousers. I'll add gaiters if ploughing through heather or long grass. I never wear shorts if there's the slightest chance of ticks (which is just about anywhere these days).

Sorry, didn't answer your question - never tried it, but it sounds extremely uncomfortable unless you're using a light breathable 'non-plastic' type of waterproof trousers.

Reactions: Ozmundo

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
What @Broch says - don’t worry. I do carry some ultra lightweight cheap waterproofs but the condensation is often as bad as the rain. If I’m wet from the jacket down I can live with it (in mild weather).

Reactions: Ozmundo

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't care how breathable my waterproof trousers are, they get damp inside, especially if I'm working hard in them.
I tried the bare leg thing, and mind I'm female and don't have much hair on the legs anyway, but they were not comfortable to wear. Like wearing a single layer cagoule on bare arms. I don't know if it'd be better with hair that might let the fabric slip instead of stick ?
I even tried talcum powder, but while that was fine with cheapo ones, it would totally compromise any goretex ones.

I reckon that if it's too warm to wear over-trousers over trousers, I'd just do without and accept getting wet.
You can always wear gaiters to stop the boots getting soaked from the top down.

Reactions: Pattree

rich d2

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2019
Nottingham
Done it and it’s uncomfortable and I found my legs sweated probably more than they’d ever done before or since. But then mine aren’t that breathable (over trousers not legs!). Just wear some lighter weight summer walking trousers and I’ll put gaiters on to stop the water soaking downward into my socks and then boots

Reactions: Toddy

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
I have these surplus swedish army legwarmers.
2390761923ebe9aa65.jpg

I wear them in wintertime like the one on the left, under my trousers.
That way trousers can be wet all they want beneath knees and the wet fabric does not touch the skin.
Another advanage is that when calves are warm it means that the feet also are warmer.

So when worn under trousers one can also use all kinds of female legwarmers because they are hidden.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Broch

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
FAME!
I'm gonna live forever...

No, just no. Too many early 80s bad memories of people wearing leg warmers.

Now, is it just me, or is anyone else getting the heebie-jeebies from looking at that picture and wondering just what the full length image actually looks like?
Someone pass the mind bleach.

Springchicken

Aug 29, 2005
Northants.
I have worn waterproof trousers over shorts, i.e. with legs bare but not totally. It was OK: there was no chafing or 'frictional discomfort' but it did feel a bit clammy. Rab make some very good, lightweight, waterproof and stretchy trousers which I have worn with just my boxers and they were very good. Trouble is, I can't remember the name of the model!

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
FAME!
I'm gonna live forever...

No, just no. Too many early 80s bad memories of people wearing leg warmers.

Now, is it just me, or is anyone else getting the heebie-jeebies from looking at that picture and wondering just what the full length image actually looks like?
Someone pass the mind bleach.

Nope, me too; that's ruined my lunch! :)

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Goretex trousers with a pair of base layer wicking leggings underneath is the perfect combination for such conditions.

Ultimately though, if you're out in it for long enough that goretex will wet out eventually. I have a preference for wearing shorts. Wet legs don't bother me.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I have and it feels horrid, so I normally wear a pair of baselayer bottoms or tights under the waterproof trousers if it’s too hot for normal trousers. Although most of the time, I’ll just take the hit on wet legs in warmer weather and wear a pair of trousers that will keep the wind off even when wet, so that I don’t get too cold.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE