Really need to stop buying knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Reading the numbers here has gotten me quite worried.....i thought I had a handle on things, but that is just not the case.....ahhh

Reactions: Mr Wolf

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I just remembered what my wife said to me, before we were married, that put a shiver down my spine.....'if you ever cheat on me, I will bunt every knife you own on concrete'

I still wake up in cold sweats....

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I just remembered what my wife said to me, before we were married, that put a shiver down my spine.....'if you ever cheat on me, I will bunt every knife you own on concrete'

I still wake up in cold sweats....
Just hope that if you die she doesn’t sell them for what you told her you paid for them.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
I know I’m not alone, I won’t count mine, ‘cos I’m afraid of the numbers, who here is addicted to making knives? I look at a piece of steel and think can I or will it make a blade and still in therapy!!!!!!!!!

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
I know some people out there don’t count the likes of mora, SAKs and opinels. I assume being cheap and mundane let’s them fall into some kind of a grey area where they don’t “really” need to be registered as part of the main collection.

On that basis I only own about a dozen knives - now that’s quite the revelation for me, and I will be spending the rest of the afternoon shopping at Hennie Haynes to recover from this unexpected bombshell.

Oh and machetes, brush hooks, skramas don’t count either!

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
So far every knife Ive ever owned has come to far less than the beer I've slashed up a wall in my 20s so err... It's not a problem?

Likely only 20 or 30. One does seem to be gaining a fair bit in value if a US sales site is to be believed and if I flogged it I'd have enough to cover all the rest.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
If you check the fine print, you'll find that you don't need to register 'traditional' patterns either. Handy little provision, that.
If SAKs and copies also don't count I guess I have about 2. Wifey is never going to believe that.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I'd sudder to think how many have passed through my hands but these days I've under a dozen

Of those I'd keep probably 6 and there are one or 2 more out there I'd grab with both hands if ever I could find them

Vintage sheffield Barlows are few and far between

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Oh absolutely, I bought an antique bayonet recently, and do you know what I could not resist seeing if you could use it for snedding. Rumour has it anyway that they were more often employed for chopping firewood than sticking it up the enemy, corporal Jones notwithstanding

Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
Well I bought a £4.99 Anglo Arms slipjoint at a local shop (Beaumaris, north Wales) because I felt guilty about leaving without buying SOMETHING again. It's nice for a fiver. They have a great range of Kershaw stuff at a decent price.
I really didn't need a knife.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
What is the process for including a quote from another poster?

Thank you gra_farmer. I needed a place to keep them. The curved bevels are a bit*h to sharpen and hone
so I needed some way to protect them from eachother. The tubular tools in the left side of the lid.

I usually buy just blades or bash off the handles of farrier's crooked hoof-trimming knives.
Then I craft handles which are sized to fit my hands.

Besides a few knives with original handles that you can see,
the striped ones are glue-ups of mahogany and rosewood guitar scrap.
Ran out of that so I'm using solid birch for handle wood now.
For me, the handles must begin as 7/8" x 7/8" blanks.
I can cope with the range of 3/4" up to 1" in size. Called the "Kestrel Constant."
Notice the yellow and black whipping on the elbow (55 degrees) adze?
The color changes define the hand grip position = the "Holm Constant."

I think now if I wanted any more knives for bushcraft and outdoor use, I'd buy kits and build them myself.
About to cut Ulu and Umialik from a 10" saw bllade.

Reactions: Nice65

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
[QUOTE="Robson Valley, post: 1926094, member: 42823"
I think now if I wanted any more knives for bushcraft and outdoor use, I'd buy kits and build them myself.
About to cut Ulu and Umialik from a 10" saw bllade.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Let's see how this trial works.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
[QUOTE="Robson Valley, post: 1926094, member: 42823"
About to cut Ulu and Umialik from a 10" saw bllade.

Thanks, Let's see how this trial works.[/QUOTE]

The only thing you got wrong was when you edited inside the [ ]. You accidentally erased one of the brackets themselves. That’s what made a difference. LOL. Just like I just did.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE