Really need to stop buying knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mr Wolf

Jun 30, 2013
Nottinghamshire
Looking the other day at the amount of unused knives I own.
I use the same knives and ones I buy never get a look in. Am I the only one with this strange compulsion especially since it's difficult to handle before purchasing and dont feel right in the hand.
Latest example esee jg5, handle too thin, and I liked there take on the nessmuk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Direwulf: Same here for wood carving tools.
I have enough self discipline to quit any time I want to.
I can manage this, day in and day out.

"The Kestrel Constant" is a means of determining needed handle size for wood carving tools.
Particularly the crooked knives and the elbow and D adzes found here in the Pacific Northwest First Nations carving comunity.

Palm up, fist grip, the tips of my second and third fingers just touch the fat ball part of my thumb.
Based on quite a lot of experimentation, I have found that for me, the handles need to begin as 7/8" x 7/8" blanks.
Those all get variously rounded off. Crooked knives and adzes included.
I can manage 1" or even 1 1/8" but that's tops.
3/4" x 3/4" is as skinny as I can hold without some arthritic pain from "pinching." I never need pain when carving.

In auction lots, I have gotten a few knives (Pfeil) which were wonderful but just far too skinny for me to use.
So, I sold them on. No reason to hold them back.

Reactions: Mr Wolf

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I have this. Some I buy for a look, some I buy because they please. It’s just a life thing, my mum said to me the other day regarding a knife, “What will you use it for?”. I asked her whether she ever uses the little silver snuff cases, vesta boxes, porcelain milk jugs etc she’s collected over the years. ;)

With my wife it’s, do you use that bag, wear those shoes? I wouldn’t worry too much.

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com
I used to have the same issue for fixed blades but I solved that by becoming a full time knife maker and being able to create any specifics I needed. Folders are still a vice and I always have about ten in my 'next purchase' list! Stay strong!

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I am completely there with you, the only known cure is when someone borrows them, without consent in the middle of the night...you think that's it, I am done...then the itch starts again....ahhh

:mosquitos:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I found a solution to this pithy problem: thread all - or as many as you can - of your knives on to your belt and then spend an hour or so at home, wearing it. The combination of weight and the sheer (embarrassing) number of them slowly forcing your trousers down might make you think twice about clicking the 'add to cart' button once more. It also reminds you that, when you're out and about, you might have one, possibly two knives with you, so why on earth have you got a belt-full of them them? It's worth a try...

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
Funny really, I must be the total opposite. I buy a knife, use it, look at the next one and sell the last one. Until now that was, can't get rid of my tbs boar as it fits perfectly and the Opinel no. 8 lives in my trouser pocket and has done so for decades. So yes, you've got a problem!! Of course i won't mention carving knives, they don't count, or do they?

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
I’m still in therapy, sharpe, shiny, ooooooooh. Step away, step away from the screen!!! Must ring therapist, I thought I was making progress, help!

Reactions: Janne

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I only have 11 knives... no I have 13:puppydog:... do I have to worry? Do I need therapy?
I'm a bit worried. Never gave it a thought about it untill now

Reactions: Janne

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE