Ray mears :(

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I don't think Ray is doing anything I wouldn't do in his position. - He is doing what he is interested in, and quite honestly - why shouldn't he?

I heard talk of Ray being set to replace David Attenborough - and from a tv presenter point of view - I can think of no one better. Why should he be forever restricted to doing bushcraft?

to my eyes the Bear vs Ray arguement is childish and laughable. And I would quite happily sit and have a pint with both of them albeit for different reasons.

just my 2p

Andy

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
to my eyes the Bear vs Ray arguement is childish and laughable.

True, but they always give me an excuse to post this:

DSC05142-1.gif

W

wildjim

I can't get the broadcast so I wait for the uploads : (

I got the second (bears) and third (wolves) still waiting for the first : (

Wild animals worry me especially black bears around here in eastern Appalachian USA so anything I can learn about them is good ammunition.

Anyway Ray Mears is my favorite out of the bunch and its all good ; )

East Coaster

Forager
Oct 21, 2008
Fife/Scotland
I don't think Ray is doing anything I wouldn't do in his position. - He is doing what he is interested in, and quite honestly - why shouldn't he?

I heard talk of Ray being set to replace David Attenborough - and from a tv presenter point of view - I can think of no one better. Why should he be forever restricted to doing bushcraft?

to my eyes the Bear vs Ray arguement is childish and laughable. And I would quite happily sit and have a pint with both of them albeit for different reasons.

just my 2p

Andy

Couldn't agree more, well said. In my book Ray can "almost" do no wrong

May 3, 2010
Montreal
I hope I dont make any one mad but who cares what ray does ..yes he is mr. bushcraft but Im sure he enjoys other things as well as making money like every one else does ..its like do we care if brad and angelina are still together ..WHO CARES its there life.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Well said Mac, If that's where he wants to go with his TV then it's up to him. I think some are disappointed because there's no obvious replacement to do the bushcrafty stuff on TV that they want. That's not where Bear is at and there' no one else i can think of that can readily fill the void.

For many people Ray is doing stuff that's really interesting and if he's enjoying himself then I think it's good.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I found the new Survival series disappointing not because Ray has strayed from hardcore bushcrafting (as others have rightly said, best of luck to him if he wants to diversify - don't blame him one iota for that), but because he has strayed into low-brow, dumbed-down, cliche-ridden, prime-time TV.
That Survival series was the intellectual equivalent of putting cornflour into a casserole - thick and lumpy with no extra flavour. But that's most TV for you.

Well, you know what, if that's what he wants to do then I genuinely wish him the very best of luck. I really do. But those kinds of programmes (and, by extension, Ray) are not relevant to me. I realise that some like it, and that they think it will make more people interested in the natural world (which I doubt, to be honest - the 'man on the the street' watches those programmes to feel good about themselves, as a kind of barbiturate - the act of watching is what soothes the soul. But not so far as taking actual actions). That's great if people like watching it. Some like watching X Factor and Celebrity Dancing. Good for them too.

Did anyone really take anything away from those programmes? Really? Did they really cover new ground? If it wasn't for Ray would you honestly still have enjoyed it as much? We seem to have agreed they weren't bushcraft-centred (and, again, that's fine by me - before anyone accuses me of disliking ray (which I don't!), or disliking the fact that he's diversified) but would you have watched them and spoken so glowingly about them if Ray hadn't been presenting?

Actually, they remind me of the Harry Potter books - great if you are 16 years old or younger, but past that age you really should be looking for something more substantial. As well you know.

Just to reiterate (before the Ray fanboys jump on me) my criticism is with the programmes, not the presenter!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I found the new Survival series disappointing not because Ray has strayed from hardcore bushcrafting (as others have rightly said, best of luck to him if he wants to diversify - don't blame him one iota for that), but because he has strayed into low-brow, dumbed-down, cliche-ridden, prime-time TV.
That Survival series was the intellectual equivalent of putting cornflour into a casserole - thick and lumpy with no extra flavour. But that's most TV for you.

Well, you know what, if that's what he wants to do then I genuinely wish him the very best of luck. I really do. But those kinds of programmes (and, by extension, Ray) are not relevant to me. I realise that some like it, and that they think it will make more people interested in the natural world (which I doubt, to be honest - the 'man on the the street' watches those programmes to feel good about themselves, as a kind of barbiturate - the act of watching is what soothes the soul. But not so far as taking actual actions). That's great if people like watching it. Some like watching X Factor and Celebrity Dancing. Good for them too.

Did anyone really take anything away from those programmes? Really? Did they really cover new ground? If it wasn't for Ray would you honestly still have enjoyed it as much? We seem to have agreed they weren't bushcraft-centred (and, again, that's fine by me - before anyone accuses me of disliking ray (which I don't!), or disliking the fact that he's diversified) but would you have watched them and spoken so glowingly about them if Ray hadn't been presenting?

Actually, they remind me of the Harry Potter books - great if you are 16 years old or younger, but past that age you really should be looking for something more substantial. As well you know.

Just to reiterate (before the Ray fanboys jump on me) my criticism is with the programmes, not the presenter!

I have to agree with that!
Not that I am a "Ray Basher" either - I just bought his original book and love it (having read most of his others as well - and owning most of them...) the progs were just not worthy of him, despite the great photography!

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
Ray and bear are not comparable. One is a survivalist, the other is a bushcrafter. They are both brilliant at what they do., and am frankly annoyed that this post seems to have turned to a ray vs bear.

W

wildjim

Dang!

I enjoyed the Harry Potter books and movies so far.

Maybe my day to day life is already to serious and complex?

I like Ray Mears alright, especially the bear tracking program, its all good. . .

slamdunk

Nomad
Sep 21, 2006
Sussex

I believe it would be called 'career development' in most workplaces so why not? Wish I could do it.......:rolleyes:

sticks65

Forager
Mar 18, 2007
Caer-lerion

Ive got nothing against RM and really like his bushcraft stuff but i have to agree 100% with this post.

I found it quit boring.

Pryderi

Aug 6, 2005
Dorset and Wales
I just saw the last episode of this series which was about Wolves.
There was one collared wolf that mysteriously dropped dead, there was talk of poison but it was never explained at the end of the program.
Did I miss a bit?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE