Ray mears :(

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laughoutlouder

Forager
Jun 21, 2009
Dublin
Someone put em on the u tube thingy, cant watch de itv player and dying to see em.

Bear is definitely a survival expert! He is still alive, dispite the anti-survival antics (stupid ****) he gets up to...!
If most people tried to do the stuff he does in his shows, in any situation, survival or otherwise, they would most likey not last.

pteron

Acutorum Opifex
Nov 10, 2003
Wiltshire
pteron.org
ppointed because it's the animals who are having to survive and not the Bushcraft King.

I saw a bit of one of them and it strikes me that he is making noises a bit like David Attenborough. Will Ray be the new voice of 'Life on Earth' and other big budget nature masterpieces?

Ding! I think we'll see Ray being shifted towards presenting nature type programmes. Limited audience for knifey stuff, but wildlife proggies are very popular.

Very clever agent in the background if you ask me.

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
RM has given us some great viewing over the years.The latest series however is lacking something, it has not got the same wildlife attraction or appeal like Simon King,s productions.
It seems we are watching RM filming behind the lense all the time and not enough focus on the animals. The animal tracking is very disapointing and he also seems to be very autocratic, delegating his crew tasks all the time. Sorry Ray not my up of tea.

phil

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
A colleague at work who knows the area where the wolves were being filmed said that tracking them in that area is spectacularly easy: two chains of mountains either side of a valley will only ever mean that the wolves are in the valley. His wife, a wildlife professional, also noticed that a good number of the wolves had radio collars on. Could tracking them be made any easier?

I think that, as an opening to the world of nature programmes, RM didn't do too badly. He lacks the unemotional scientific discipline and the deep knowledge of the creatures he is pursuing but, given time, hard work and better scripts, that might improve. I agree that he must have a smart agent working on his behalf though, without wishing to be too partisan, if you want to make memorable, award-winning nature documentaries, you work with the BBC.

As for Ray being autocratic - well, it's always worth hearing what those who have worked with him have to say...;):rolleyes:

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Sorry couldn't help myself.:pokenest:

beargrylls.jpg

What is it we say? "Any fool can be uncomfortable"?

I like his style! :D

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
i thought the radio collars were part of the original release programme to re-introduce the wolves?

either way it will be interesting to see what his next lot of programmes are like, do you think he or his agents read forums lol

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
Hi,

I live in Smithers, Northern BC. We have Wolves and all sorts of big critters around here which is handy as one of my major passions in life is tracking.
I would love to see the 'survival' series and wondered if anyone knows if it is likely to come out on DVD?

Cheers

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
Cheers Matt, your a star.

Just watched the promo. The photography looks good but its a bit ITV, if know what I mean! Still, reckon I'll buy it for the collection all the same.

Thanks for the link.

Mark

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
I can't beleive people were thinking this was another programme about human survival skills ! It is all about the survival of the animals in their natural habitat and not humans. Ray covers the subject really well and highlights the issues wild animals have to overcome in order to survive.
As I say, I can't believe people were dumb enough to watch it and then moan about Ray giving no survival tips !

Paul

slamdunk

Nomad
Sep 21, 2006
Sussex
I can't beleive people were thinking this was another programme about human survival skills ! It is all about the survival of the animals in their natural habitat and not humans. Ray covers the subject really well and highlights the issues wild animals have to overcome in order to survive.
As I say, I can't believe people were dumb enough to watch it and then moan about Ray giving no survival tips !

Paul

:D:D
I thought the bear and wolf episodes were very watchable - and my 6 year old daughter now wants to go out tracking having watched them which I think's great!

He's done hours of firelighting etc - rewatch those DVD's!

Laughoutlouder

Forager
Jun 21, 2009
Dublin
Been waiting for that!

Thanks Lune! I have been waiting for that!!!

If Mr. Mears is the educator I believe him to be he wont mind too much. Still, better watch it quick.

I shall away.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I don't know if anyone else has thought of this and apologies if it has been mentioned and I've missed it.

But; How the heck can Ray Mears be classed as any kind of "expert tracker", at least when it comes to the likes of Africa, Canada or the States?

The "experts" are the people who spend the majority of their time doing this, not some TV personality who might be able to do it for a month or two at a time, in between filming etc.

Total bovine excrement in my opinion.;)

However; as they say of Mr Kipling, Mr Mears does make exceedingly good TV:rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE