Ray mears :(

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I think I might be missing something here.

RM's Survival series is teaching tracking skills in specific locations about (inter alia) two particular species - bears and wolves - which can both be hunted. He'll be in the running for the National Rifle Association man of the year!

And it certainly appears relevant to the title of the show - the wolf and bears' survival chances just plummeted...............................

Laughoutlouder

Forager
Jun 21, 2009
Dublin
I dunno, I certainly have learned a great deal about leopard tracking from the episode I watched last night. Movement, behaviour, territorial relationships between males and females, possible avenues of movement to and from reserves, using knowledge(above mentioned stuff) to predict where animals are likely to appear. All this in order to better understand leopards, contribute to their conservation and take some baby steps toward resolving leopard-human conflict.

Seems fairly expert to me.

AndyBB. U might be missing something. :pokenest:
R. Badger. A month or 2 seems fairly lame alright. :D

HA Ha

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2010
ontario
About a year behind as usual over here in the wilds:sadwavey:...
I just found this series yesterday and thought it was fabulous; HD filming and all that...
Ray Mears is not a household name over here (mind you he seems
to spend half his life in Canada), so it's not so easy to keep up on
the latest stuff, but I think he's a really professional presenter
and an intelligent guy, and as a big fan of wildlife shows I think
this series deserves top marks.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
5488718826_b555d7981f.jpg

Eragon21

May 30, 2009
Aberdare
I also expected to see a typical Ray programme as I recorded rather that watched without getting the full programme synopsis.

So sat down to see get the Ray experience and found he had done something completely different which I have found really enjoyable - a welcome departure from his standard programme and shows that he can turn his hand and bushcraft skills on to new adventures.

AlexRowan

Tenderfoot
Sep 9, 2005
Somerset
Not that I would attempt to speak for anyone else but RM has always said that the reason he got into Bushcraft was because he wanted to get closer to wildlife.

Therefore I think it's really nice that after years of popularising (is that a word?) bushcraft, he can use his position to get to make a series that harks back to the roots of HIS Bushcraft.

He is a brilliant presenter and with the very sad fact that David Attenborough won't be making programs forever, it is fitting that someone like Ray takes up some of the slack.

Not to be too condescending but Bushcraft seems as popular as a reason to collect shiny kit as it is a reason to get out into nature.

Just my thoughts though.

Sorry Durulz..:D

Ivan Owen

Tenderfoot
I think the BBC's strategy for replacing Attenborough is with a bunch of wildlife presenters:

Spring/Autumn watch is pretty big now and seems to be the 'hub' with lots of faces turning up.

Gordon Buchanan was pretty well recieved in the tiger documentary and seems to be turning up more. Will probably become a household name relatively soon i think.

There are others i cant think of right now. I dunno about ray mears being a wildlife presenter; I know a lot of people think he's a terrible presenter and it's only on his knowledge that he's bin successful so he might be a bit out of his depth...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE