Ray mears :(

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
Ray mears' new series "survival" is not very true to the title. 'HE' basically tracks a load of animals, and does ntohing else. SurvivaL?, didn't seem like such an extreme situation to me in that comfy helicopter chasing leaopards. Sorry to have a rant, but htis is the only series i have been truely disappointed with. The last series was so much better, when it was actually about survival, and having fun, rather than checking out some zooliogist's bottom.

Soorry for the wall of text.
Wuill probably cause an uproar amony the chairside bushcrafters, as i call them, but a word of warning to the rest.

Love ph34r:viking:

porchini

Forager
Sep 18, 2008
stockport
Oh dear ! I thought it was a very good all be it short series . Survival was a wildlife pro gramme started in the 70's I think , this is a new stab at it. I thought tracking and wildlife watching were and are important aspects of bushcraft, but you can't please everyone. Ray presented it quite well also.:)

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
i agree that tracking is an important aspect of bushcraf, but why make it part of a series called survival, when beyond an extent it is not. It was not even tracking really, most of the time it was someone nagging about something. Ray mears was a good presenter though, that i'll agree with. Perhaps i was being a bit harsh, but it does get a little old after 6 1 hour episodes of a single animal.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
I quite liked the wolves one the other day. I'm not saying anymore though as last time I mentioned his shorts I got my thread deleted in case Ray got upset.

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
tracking a animal to hunting distance is one of the best survival skills you can have.
i do understand what you mean though mate, i still like the new programme though:)

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I never for a moment thought that this was a BG type "survival" programme and even the trailers for it made reference to the old 70's series "Survival" (Which was great though probably dated if shown again.) I can see, however, that younger folk, brought up on BG and others, might get confused by the title.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I suppose it could be misleading when you think of Ray and the previous programs he has done.

However as Eds correctly linked it is a resurrection of a long running wildlife program that has been aroung in various formats for 30+years.

I enjoyed the programs

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
"survival" was the title of a long series of wildlife films/documentaries, made by Anglia Television, IIRC; from the late 1960's-late 1970's.

Nothing to do with humans playing about in the woods.

You never saw any presenters, they always just dubbed in the narrative, on top of the wildlife films, at least thats how I remember it.

It would appear that ITV, have done a "botbot" job with the old title ( bit of this, bit of that) and basically chucked a selection of ingredients into what they thought would make a good commercial bet.

Frankly; I'd have gone with Mr. Mears doing a voice over, rather than trying to make him the "hook".

Anyway, it could have been a LOT worse.

R.B.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
I'm trying to think of something nice and non sarcastic to say, but think I'm going to fail. So rather than point out what has been already pointed out, in this thread and others, or suggest a bit of actual intelectual researching into a subject before mindlessly complaining - I think I'll just not say anything ... ;)

oops... silly me...

Cheers,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE