Ray mear's trousers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jack29g

Forager
Sep 17, 2004
Leicester
don't know if you saw it on sunday but was wondering if anyone knew what the trousers were he had on. They had a sort of bear on the side pocket.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Isn't the Fjallraven logo a curled up wolf or husky....like they do when they're having a dozz...? ? ?

Maybe it was the kodiak bear....or is that another bushcraft school's logo? ? ? ;)

Bam. :D

Ed W

Tenderfoot
May 7, 2005
West Yorkshire
Does anyone know of anyone who stocks this and if anyone has any recommendations of them as the stuff looks pretty good.

thanks

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
bambodoggy said:
Isn't the Fjallraven logo a curled up wolf or husky....like they do when they're having a dozz...? ? ?

Maybe it was the kodiak bear....or is that another bushcraft school's logo? ? ? ;)

Bam. :D
My sources say a fox. :p They've been wrong before now though, so it's the firing squad if they embarrass me again :eek: :D :cool:

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
It actually says it's an arctic fox on the web site...
The arctic fox is part of nature, both the tough little rascal who symbolises our company and the company Fjällräven itself.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
led said:
It actually says it's an arctic fox on the web site...

They probably call it "arctic fox" because there is no english word for Fjäll. Fjällräv is also what older people that have walked in the fjälls for many years, Åke Nordin is one of these people.

leon-1

Yep they were fjallraven trousers, there kit is pretty good (I have four of thier jackets). Not sure on the model, but they may have been forester trousers.

Fjallraven kit used to be available at most good outdoor shops, but in recent years you would be pretty hard pressed to find much of thier kit over here, which is a shame because I like thier stuff.

If I recall correctly JeremyH was using a pair of thier trousers when I was in Islay a couple of years ago, it may be worth dropping him a PM just to see if he knows where you can get a set in the UK.

Your other option is e-bay or wait till some turn up on here as a few bits of kit have arrived here before now.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
These two companies came up as UK suppliers for Fjallraven gear.

Field, Moor & Stream
Westmark Cottage
Midhurst Road
Petersfield
Hampshire
GU31 5AT

01730 263 477

Oi Polloi
70 Tib St
Manchester
M4 1LG

01618 317 870

Eric

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
They were Fjallraven Greenland Trousers. Mine are from Field Moor and Stream. The one bit of kit a brought BEFORE I saw the Mearsmeister wearing them (I'm not afraid of admitting I'm a partial RM fashion victim). Very helpful chaps. Unfortunately they are £80 a pop. Well worth it IMO.

Matt

leon-1

qweeg500 said:
They were Fjallraven Greenland Trousers. Mine are from Field Moor and Stream. The one bit of kit a brought BEFORE I saw the Mearsmeister wearing them (I'm not afraid of admitting I'm a partial RM fashion victim). Very helpful chaps. Unfortunately they are £80 a pop. Well worth it IMO.

Matt

What is the material they are made of, G1000 ????

I like this as a material, it works very well on the hunters jacket, don't give a stuff about Ray wearing them or not only interested in something that works for me.:)

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
Yep G1000. My Telemark Jacket is made of the same stuff which I've just reproofed for the winter using some home made Greenland wax.
The advantage is, that you can easily wash the proofing out so it's more breathable in the summer months.

Matt

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
I've been using fjallraven since the late seventies when they first began to sell the stuff here.

Their catalogue used to be one of the funniest things published - it was obviously translated by one of their staff who wasn't a native speaker and the occasionally got it hysterically wrong :)

I rate their kit very highly for most British conditions - only problem is getting hold of it.

George

Bushmaster

Forager
Oct 17, 2004
Scotland
Viking said:
They probably call it "arctic fox" because there is no english word for Fjäll. Fjällräv is also what older people that have walked in the fjälls for many years, Åke Nordin is one of these people.

I hate to correct you on this but as far as I know fjall means mountain or hill and in Cumbria all the mountains are known as "fells" thanks to our nordic visitors many years ago.A lot of our language owes its orogins to Norway.
We call children Bairns,Norwegian is barn....home is yem or yam Norwegian hjem and I am sure Tarn means tear of the mountain or am I deluded.
Would love to know for sure.
Cheers
Geoff

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
Bushmaster said:
I hate to correct you on this but as far as I know fjall means mountain or hill and in Cumbria all the mountains are known as "fells" thanks to our nordic visitors many years ago.A lot of our language owes its orogins to Norway.
We call children Bairns,Norwegian is barn....home is yem or yam Norwegian hjem and I am sure Tarn means tear of the mountain or am I deluded.
Would love to know for sure.
Cheers
Geoff

Here in the nordic countries we make a diffrence between fjäll and mountain. For us it´s two diffrent things.

brucemacdonald

Forager
Jul 5, 2004
right here
jack29g said:
don't know if you saw it on sunday but was wondering if anyone knew what the trousers were he had on. They had a sort of bear on the side pocket.

Does it matter? He's gone too far down the commercial route. A far cry from the days when he recommended British Army lightweights.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE