Ray Mears Scottish Mountain Gear Rucksack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fjellstorm

Jan 30, 2014
Kassel,Germany
Hi guys,

i found this picture in another Thread from a rucksack that’s very simple yet exactly what I’m looking for basically.
my question is, has this rucksack ever been made?
is it still possible to have such a pack made?
does anyone of you own such a pack and can give me a few measurements?
thank you very much!
Regards
Max

Attachments

• 0CCB135F-D8E0-4E50-9BD9-9ED245038535.png
    0CCB135F-D8E0-4E50-9BD9-9ED245038535.png
    416 KB · Views: 67
Reactions: weekender

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Looks a bit like the Berghaus Vulcan, which is made in China though.
But the BW KSK issues the Berghaus Atlas, that's why I guess that it's OK.

They are made like clothing in several sizes. If you are unsure about the right size it's probably worth to go to Salzgitter and try it on. The back isn't adjustable because they wanted it lighter and idiot proof.

An older version can be bought from the Dutch army used. The KSK changed the frame of the Atlas because the old ones sometimes broke. I guess the new Vulcan got the better frame too.
But I guess you will treat your rucksack a bit different anyway.

Räer in Hildesheim sells it used for a higher price but you could go there and choose the best one. They sit next to the railway station and are worth a look anyway.

They also sell the smaller Norvegian one, usually the cotton version as well as the Nylon version.

And secret tip No1 is that Heim still makes the plain olive green BW Jägerrucksack in 1000 Denier Cordura.
I think it's apart from the Ortlieb packs the last German made hiking rucksack.

Brand new pretty cheap for a German made product:

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I have one and I love it. Been using it for 7 years now. Before that the Sabre 45 was my go to sack. The pockets on the Leafcutter are a much better volume and shape. And that front pocket is much bigger than you’d think too. Vastly more comfortable when fully loaded and weighing a ton.

Reactions: PoppyD

Fjellstorm

Jan 30, 2014
Kassel,Germany
So they’ll do these Rucksacks again like the one on the old picture? I had the leafcutter and I didn’t like the straps joined together at the top. I hope you know what i mean

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
They might do. But they also might have a contract with Woodlore preventing them. I know what you mean about the straps. Maybe they’ll do custom one for you. Can’t hurt to ask.

Reactions: PoppyD

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
SMG made some good climbing sacks back in the day IIRC. Wasn't aware they still existed.

If you like no nonsense sacks look into aiguille alpine in Staveley. They do custom sacks too for get moderate premium. I got a 45 litre alpine climbing style sack made with a long back length to fit my 196cm height. I also asked for floating lid from a different, more expensive sack model. Also picked colour and fabric combinations. Tough at high wear locations then a lighter weight fabric where best suited. The result was a sack estimated 60 to 65 litre sack with over fill capacity weighing 1.1kg capable of a heavy load carry too.

I'm a fan of AA in Staveley because they make everything above the store and can guide you in your custom build sack. They're real outdoors people into a lot of outdoor activities so they know what it's possible and what does seem to suit people. A real collaboration with you!!!

Fjellstorm

Jan 30, 2014
Kassel,Germany
Ok so just wanted to let you know, SMG don’t do any custom or special orders. They aren’t making large packs anymore. Is there any other company that makes these Bergen like packs? Any ideas?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Ok so just wanted to let you know, SMG don’t do any custom or special orders. They aren’t making large packs anymore. Is there any other company that makes these Bergen like packs? Any ideas?
That’s a shame. They’re great ruck makers.

The H-Tex ones are nowhere near the quality. The clips feel dead cheap and naff. I can imagine the prongs breaking in no time on them.

Reactions: PoppyD and SCOMAN

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I think a custom made rucksack would become far more expensive than the regular models.

The rucksack in your photo looks for me nearly like the 65 litres BW 5 Farb Flecktarn Kampfrucksack, by the way. They still throw it behind you every corner.
There was a nearly identic plain oliv green version before that surely can be found via Ebay in Germany.

Last edited:

Athos

Mar 12, 2021
East Sussex
I think Jay Jays in Brecon make custom stuff. The leafcutter is a great design but I think it needs updating with higher quality clips and fastenings. Hill People Gear make some great kit.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Looks quite similar, isn't it?

It's surely easier to attach a better padded hip belt than constructing a custom made rucksack.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Looks quite similar, isn't it?

It's surely easier to attach a better padded hip belt than constructing a custom made rucksack.
I don’t think it looks anything like it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE