Ray mears or ed stafford?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Going back to the original debate, I reckon that, without clothes, Ed Stafford tops out but, with clothes on, it is hard to beat the calm familiarity of Uncle Ray. For me, Bear is a little like a firework: flash, pop! and then it's gone.

Perhaps we should judge them by the knives to which they've put their respective names... Things like price, materials, shape and geometry, size and so on might yield a more objective but still representational comparison...?

Read this and thought, “Oh blimey, here we go”. But in reality this is a good way to make an analogy. The Mears knife is the learned tweed dressed gent, capable of being gentlemanly and useful, but ultimately limited in its uses. It’s a wood working knife that‘ll do other stuff.

The Bear Grylls Gerbers are cheap, robust, really capable, and once you get past the awful marketing, and the part serration, very comfortable to use. An all rounder that will cope with a multitude of tasks.

I don’t know who Ed Stafford is, and I’m not bothering to find out. ;)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I know John J has won, but we forgot Les Stroud. Hang your heads in shame. Although, he wasn’t very successful in his shows. Hardly caught anything to eat. But it was brilliant TV in that he filmed everything himself. Probably why he didn’t have time to catch food.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
He was funny in interviews. Tells his adventures like they're normal and humdrum. It's like he can end a tale with "and I only lost three toes" with a straight face like that's a result.

Or the tale about how he was last five for playing James Bond but turned down when cubby broccoli said "no, he's got farmer's hands!"

Or the casual way he tells his borrowed explosives story.

I'm not a guy who really believes in having a hero but if I did it would be easy too think of him as one.

Athos

Mar 12, 2021
East Sussex
He was funny in interviews. Tells his adventures like they're normal and humdrum. It's like he can end a tale with "and I only lost three toes" with a straight face like that's a result.

Or the tale about how he was last five for playing James Bond but turned down when cubby broccoli said "no, he's got farmer's hands!"

Or the casual way he tells his borrowed explosives story.

I'm not a guy who really believes in having a hero but if I did it would be easy too think of him as one.
I’ve always enjoyed hearing of his adventures, more so than any others. I don’t think his skills in bushcraft or survival are on par with Ray’s, but the man has mettle and that’s a far harder thing to learn.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I don’t know who Ed Stafford is, and I’m not bothering to find out. ;)
Since you're personifying the knives they've named, Ben Orford makes the Ed Stafford one and a very useful beast it is, too.

I think that, it terms of out-and-out knowledge, good ol' RM would win the ticket, followed by Stafford with the hyperactive Grylls and his dreadful, monotonous voice-over, last. That said, we are in danger of comparing two survival practitioners with a bushcraft one. With subtly different skills and temperaments needed, is it ever going to be a valid comparison?

Reactions: Nice65

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
How do you know what bear the entertainer knows when his shows aren't really about skills?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
We can’t really knock Bear, he’s a massive adrenaline junky who made an adrenaline induced entertainment show. He does everything dangerous and risky you can imagine for our entertainment. Sure there are some dodgy things he imparts as information. But it was a show made to capitalise on his ability to do things normal people wouldn’t do ever. Fair play to him, he’s game for crazy stuff 99.99999999999% of the population wouldn’t do. And that’s not even going into the amazing achievements he made. Both military, mental and also physical.

Athos

Mar 12, 2021
East Sussex
We can’t really knock Bear, he’s a massive adrenaline junky who made an adrenaline induced entertainment show. He does everything dangerous and risky you can imagine for our entertainment. Sure there are some dodgy things he imparts as information. But it was a show made to capitalise on his ability to do things normal people wouldn’t do ever. Fair play to him, he’s game for crazy stuff 99.99999999999% of the population wouldn’t do. And that’s not even going into the amazing achievements he made. Both military, mental and also physical.
Agreed, he is credible. His TV stuff is fun and massively over the top, but he is accomplished and his mental fortitude is impressive.

One bloke who hasn’t had a mention here that I always loved watching, especially when taking hallucinogenic concoctions and inverting his penis (as is tradition), Bruce Parry. Whatever happened to him?

Athos

Mar 12, 2021
East Sussex
Bruce Parry. What a fantastic series that was. An actual likeable pleasurable and naturally trustworthy, presentable and open appearing man. He just disappeared after that series and it was groundbreaking and brilliant.
It’s a shame, for me he was the Louis Theroux of the outdoors. His programmes were both enlightening and entertaining. During ‘Tribe’ when it was time for him to leave, you could always tell they were sad to see him go. Definitely a bloke I’d like to share some liquid exhilaration with.

Athos

Mar 12, 2021
East Sussex
79746F8B-A3D4-43A4-884E-400C6B59525F.jpeg
How about this mountain man, if you haven’t read the book “Crow Killer” then be sure to pick it up.

P.S. It ain’t Eric Cantona

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE