Ray mears or ed stafford?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
At the risk of being impolite I'd say you never know whether RM will be the biggest series by series. If you know what I mean.

The one thing I will say about RM and BG is that they seem very nice guys. I'm not really sure about ES because he's been doing a lot of competitive bushcraft type of programme. I'm wary of people feeling the need to compete or prove they're the best. Especially in bushcraft.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Ray Mears, Ed Stafford and Bear Grylls are on a break from filming on a Pacific island and decide to go for a swim. Suddenly they are confronted by a large shark.

"What are we going to do?" says Ed.
" Don't worry, " replies Ray, "I never go anywhere without my Woodlore knife."
" But you can't fight off a shark with that! " says Ed.
"Don't have to," says Ray, " I've just slashed Grylls with it. Swim like hell!*

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Ray's not made for speed so that would make grylls the starter and Mears the main course. After that it would be full up and Ed could simply carry on swimming. Grylls would be barely a toothpick for a shark!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
In my book, SBS beats SAS.
Grylls "Who dares wins" but Mears if not for eyesight woul d win "Not by strength by guile."

It seems rather unfortunate but clearly some of the Poole lads were feeling insecure ( lord only knows why ...? ) and have now changed their official motto to :- "By Strength and Guile"

Reactions: CLEM

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
A marines wannabe vs actual SAS and the wannabe gets the higher hardman roots? Chopper crash or parachute failure at 26,000 feet? One auto grates down the other freefalls. 31% survival rate with chopper crashes but can't find equivalent figure for parachuting. Although he's had the 5th highest survived freefall
Hey, I didn't write it :lmao:

Reactions: PoppyD

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
The late Ellsworth Jaeger. He was a faculty member of the Buffalo Museum of Science and an authority on Neolithic native American Indians.
In 1945, he published a volume "Wildwood Wisdom", with more than 400 illustrations, outdoor native activity such as bark crafts, canoes and tipi.
Fortunately, the entire book was reprinted in 1992. You owe it to yourself to own a copy. It's probable that the book is the inspirational source for a lot of modern TV series subject matters of bushcraft. Mine was just $17.95USD.

ISBN 978-0-936070-12-4

If I knew that I'd have any amount of "camp time," I'd take the book to try to replicate some of the crafts.
I have a copy. It is very good, if a little American biased for information about flora and fauna, but that is to be expected. It is one of those books which I dip into now and again, but it’s always out on a surface for reference. Recommended.

Reactions: Spirit fish

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
With age strength wanes but guile waxes. I always preferred Odysseus to Achilles. Odysseus came home, Achilles dared but died.

Took his bloody time about coming home though, didn't he.... :)

( For clarity - I also prefer the former Motto. )

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Going back to the original debate, I reckon that, without clothes, Ed Stafford tops out but, with clothes on, it is hard to beat the calm familiarity of Uncle Ray. For me, Bear is a little like a firework: flash, pop! and then it's gone.

Perhaps we should judge them by the knives to which they've put their respective names... Things like price, materials, shape and geometry, size and so on might yield a more objective but still representational comparison...?

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Many of these Bushcraft Stars, are there because most TV companies, are desperate to make programmes, as we have all seen , they will make programmes about anything, I personally prefer Ray as when you watch his progs, you will learn something, that may come in handy later, or at least give you some inspiration to have a go at something.

Without TV programmes we probably would not even know they exist, it's hard to judge these people because most of what we see is staged, it's after all, entertainment, when we look at the stalwarts in History we respect them for their achievements, they went out alone, and accomplished what they did using their wits, and their skills, for them there was no team standing by to rescue them, no hotel to go to in the night, so we should take these people for what they are, they are skilled, but they have time too, if it goes wrong, they do it again, it is good entertainment, and in some cases educational, and that is what it is.

To pick out who is best, well we have to look beyond their TV persona, myself I have more admiration for the Mountain rescue teams, the Lifeboat Crews, who go out in the worst weather, to rescue people, but let's face it, these things don't make good TV.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Going back to the original debate, I reckon that, without clothes, Ed Stafford tops out but, with clothes on, it is hard to beat the calm familiarity of Uncle Ray. For me, Bear is a little like a firework: flash, pop! and then it's gone.
It sounds a bit of a beauty contest for you. Ed's good naked but Ray needs to be covered up, perhaps lights out? Then Bear is a bit too quick for you.;)

Seriously I know what you mean, it's the level of kit needed to survive.

My view on Ray is he's education. Ed is challenge but trending towards entertainment. Bear is entertainment. This leads to intriguing questions about capabilities. Just how good would Ray be in a dropped off into the middle of nowhere while naked and without any kit? How much does Ed really know? Indeed how much does Bear know. His shows are pure entertainment so there's very little about survival and bushcraft. I think it would be good to see each of them trying to do each others type of show. Just to show up their differences and similarities.

Reactions: Spirit fish

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE