Ray Mears new Shirt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We've discussed my Modding before Rik. Frankly the courtesy aspect matters. Ranting posts set everyone's teeth on edge and if that is gently pre-empted then I make no apologies.

Now then, do you think everything that needs to be said about the shirt, apart from a personal experience/ performance review, has actually been said?

cheers,
Toddy

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I'll take ten, one for me and nine for ebay, retirement here I come.

Hey Zodiak, you were looking for a bushcraft money spinner, well here it is!!!!!:)

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
This thread has not been courteous, or even relatively courteous, indeed it has been very insulting to Ray, calling in to account his credibility and even saying that he is "exploiting" people - it's all rubbish of course, but that is not courteous banter.

It's just the same old Ray-bashing that crops up from time-to-time and is all rooted in jealousy. Some people just cannot get over someone working in bushcraft and being a expert on the topic, being on TV, and having such a successful business. These whingers will never have any success in the bushcraft industry because they firstly need to have respect for people first and foremost (which Ray has and demonstrates in his work).

Fair enough, but will you be buying one of these shirts though mate?:naughty:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
We've discussed my Modding before Rik. Frankly the courtesy aspect matters. Ranting posts set everyone's teeth on edge and if that is gently pre-empted then I make no apologies.

Now then, do you think everything that needs to be said about the shirt, apart from a personal experience/ performance review, has actually been said?

cheers,
Toddy

Maybe, but then, maybe not, time will tell of course. As to 'gently preempted' well to be honest Toddy, its not, your response was heavy handed, and the only teeth on edge seemed by and large, to be yours. We are all adults (mostly) on the site, and I can't see the problem with open debate regardless of topic and if a few of us disagree then fine, thats all part of life's journey

Don't get paranoid, its not a "pick on Toddy day" my reply is in response to what some see as over control by mods and while I may the most verbal about mod intervention, trust me when I say I'm not the sole thinker here. This is a fantastic site, but a little breathing space and room to blow off a little steam is required before the 'stop this' button is hit.

I still like Ray, but think the shirt is well over priced,

Richard

May 14, 2006
Consett County Durham
I don't think anyones having a go at RM, theres a vast amount of respect for the guy here and rightly so however like it or not his name has been linked to this cotton shirt.
As far as I've seen it's nothing special, it isn't made from some exotic super lite super strong material weave nor does it have any special function. .It's just a cotton shirt. .

With a Name tag on it!

To me that doesn't warrant the price, thats it simply put I Won't pay say £20 for a cotton shirt and $105 for a name tag.

I think what gets most people (it gets me) is that this is a guy who introduced a lot of us to the frost knife, a nice little knife, easilly maintained sharp and won't make you cry if you lose it on the way home cos you can pick them up for less than a tenner.

Gucci is great for the highstreet but not for rolling around in the mud.

Kev

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
As a bit more of a positive spin on this one can anyone suggest a good alternative to this shirt with the same qualities ?

I think the one that rebel posted "Craghoppers" jobby looks nice but the only TKMax in know of is ages away :(

leon-1

As a bit more of a positive spin on this one can anyone suggest a good alternative to this shirt with the same qualities ?

I think the one that rebel posted "Craghoppers" jobby looks nice but the only TKMax in know of is ages away :(

My local Millets used to sell them as well, so if you have one near pop in and have a dig about. They are the Kiwi Long Sleeved shirt.

I don't know if you can buy direct from Craghoppers, but this is their website you should be able to find what you need there. Hope this helps.

Or as I mentioned in the thread earlier you can always make one yourself and it would save you a fair amount.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
As far as I've seen it's nothing special, it isn't made from some exotic super lite super strong material weave nor does it have any special function. .It's just a cotton shirt. .

I've been wondering if it is more than just basic cotton and Woodlore haven't put that in the description, ISTR them missing out important things like that it previous descriptions of items.

Miggers

Forager
Dec 31, 2006
Oxford
dwardo

Try Gaynor Sports online, have found then very cheap for outdoor/non bushcraft gear. They have the Kiwi for £19 and in clearance they have a nice cotton job, the Craghoppers Mens Blaze Shirt for £19. My kinda shirt if I wasn't an XL!

www.gaynors.co.uk

Miggers

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Looks great cheers although i usually prefer long sleaved (helps to keep the bugs out :rolleyes: )

Cheers for the links guys...

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)

First of all, you need to understand that this RM shirt is, at least as far as I know, made from canvas, while the craghoppers shirts are made from plain cotton or poly-cotton.

If you want a similar weight shirt then buy the 5.11 shirt as sold by RM for £45 or better still, from Polimil for £32.

I love the 5.11 shirts, they're smart, strong and comfortable as well as being absolutely safe round fires, unlike, perhaps, a shirt with metal buttons which could, just concievably, heat up and give you quite a shock when they contact the skin( just like the original 'Levi's' jeans which were modified by Mr. Levi after he scorched his nadgers on a rivet in the crotch area one night by a camp fire!)
I dont think they are worth more than £32 however!

I hope Ray's back soon, preferably with something craft based please, thank you, next month would do!

sincerely:
R.B.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Although I am a fan of RM and the vast majority of things he has done and does, this is just a little bit steep. As mentioned earlier, I think that poppers are a bad idea both from a hot point of view and a cold one. As it's canvas, it'll take a helluva beating but will also take a lot of 'wearing in' before it becomes an old friend. And what are those sleeves? The sort of half-way house look is very odd and probably very awkward. Then the cost...

Alternatives? I got a couple of Swedish Army shirts via Bearclaw Bushcraft. They're green cotton with nothing frilly or clever about them but they are outrageously comfortable, incredibly hardwearing and really easy to look after. The cost? £10 each. Anyone on the quest for a bushcrafty shirt in a natural material would be very hard pressed to do better in my opinion.

leon-1

OFF TOPIC

I don't know how I missed this.

This is not a "Pick on rik_uk3 day"

Don't get paranoid, its not a "pick on Toddy day"

Well it does actually come across as that.

my reply is in response to what some see as over control by mods and while I may the most verbal about mod intervention, trust me when I say I'm not the sole thinker here. This is a fantastic site, but a little breathing space and room to blow off a little steam is required before the 'stop this' button is hit.

This site is one of the most relaxed sites going as far as moderators and moderation is concerned and believe me when I say that you get plenty of breathing space. You wouldn't on other forums.

On other forums you would of found yourself thinking about the infraction system and how it is hampering things for the comment above, which would have possibly proved a point one way or another, you haven't here.

All Toddy did was what she is supposed to do, she saw a potential flashpoint and stopped it dead, the "my way or the highway" is not the intention of the post she made, it was think before you post as it will have a direct influence on the tone of the thread. Whether that is the way it came across to you or not is not the point, everyone has the right to interpret things in their own way.

On Topic, Toddy is pretty knowledgeable about this sort of thing, she has been known to hand make period and re-enactment clothing so I value her opinion on this, as you will get a measured honest response, she could also probably come up with viable alternatives, not just on design, but on the textile used as well.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
OFF TOPIC

I don't know how I missed this.

This is not a "Pick on rik_uk3 day"

Well it does actually come across as that.

This site is one of the most relaxed sites going as far as moderators and moderation is concerned and believe me when I say that you get plenty of breathing space. You wouldn't on other forums.

On other forums you would of found yourself thinking about the infraction system and how it is hampering things for the comment above, which would have possibly proved a point one way or another, you haven't here.

All Toddy did was what she is supposed to do, she saw a potential flashpoint and stopped it dead, the "my way or the highway" is not the intention of the post she made, it was think before you post as it will have a direct influence on the tone of the thread. Whether that is the way it came across to you or not is not the point, everyone has the right to interpret things in their own way.

On Topic, Toddy is pretty knowledgeable about this sort of thing, she has been known to hand make period and re-enactment clothing so I value her opinion on this, as you will get a measured honest response, she could also probably come up with viable alternatives, not just on design, but on the textile used as well.

We can all have an opinion and voice it I hope. As I said, no offence to Toddy was meant, but breathing space before a threat of intervention sometimes helps things, I hope we are all grown up adults here.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
When I was working I wore Jermyn street shirts because they were comfortable.More expensive than Matalan but my choice.

The same goes for RM's £ 125 shirt.Purchase is not compulsory.:rolleyes:

I don't want one,so I won't buy one.Therefore I don't care if they decide to charge double due to demand.

Might PM Toddy before next winter though.:cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE