Ray Mears new Shirt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Does anyone else think he's taking the p@@s?

Lovely, well made bit of kit, but I' like two attendants (scantily clad) measuring me for a bespoke shirt and bringing me single malt for that kind of money.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I know we have had the whole cost "Ray Meers/woodlore knife" thing out many times before but this is just daft......

£125 for a shirt is taking the MIK ! So when does this whole RM branded gear thing officially get out of hand ? £1000 for special RM socks ???

I suppose to answer my own quesiton "as long as people are daft enough to pay for them"

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I think you'll find his socks retail at £2000, one grand per sock. His underpants cunningly made from nettle fibres and mole fur cost a grand! A bargain I think!

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Ignoring the price. I dont even like the design. Its just a fancy polo shirt...doesnt even un-do all the way down.
Also lacks a great feature that the craghopper shirts have which are the loops to hold the rolled up sleves up.
I much prefer my craghopper shirt that i got for £10 at the outdoors show.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'm wearing a craghoppers shirt as I type, and they are very good. It even hs loops so that you can clip it to your trousers and it doesn't ride up yor back whn bending down. At least, that's what I think they are for! The zip pocket is very good too. You can pick them up from TK Maxx for 15 quid or below.

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
When I got the RM shirt e-mail I really thought it was a windup by some of us! Well they have happened. BUT, £125 for a shirt, however good it looks, is pure exploitation. I hope that whoever does the RM marketing has a look at the comments here, and gets real. Lets face it this site is one of the major faces of Bushcraft in the UK. :headbang:

Well, I suppose that Woodlore can see what prices anything endorsed by Ray goes for on EBay, and thay want some of the action. I think I'd buy 4x 511 tactical shirts for that money. They are pretty much the same, and I doubt that 1 of Ray's shirts would outlast 4 of the 511 shirts, no matter how well made they were.

ddokkum

Forager
Feb 16, 2007
The Netherlands
Wow just one more piece of kit for my complete Ray Mears metamorphosis. After this I am going to measure myself a Ray Mears face for only £3000.. inc VAT

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
That's insane! IT'S A MONTH'S RENT! MORE THAN! Ok; I'm a student, I share a house with four other people, and my rent is cheap, but still...

I think the Woodlore board must sit around their enormous mahogany table (finely polished by Saami virgins, of course...), smoking cigars (hand rolled by the Yekuana), sipping Chianti (don't forget the fava beans) and giggle at what rediculous thing they can do next: "I know, let's buy a load of GS shirts from the army and change the buttons..."

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
I think what we may be seeing here is an example of 'designer' clothing.

You can pay £30 for a good casual shirt from the likes of Burtons/ Next etc or splash out £125 on a good designer shirt - which feels and looks pretty much the same - from, say, Prada or Calvin Klein.

It's the same thing here. Pay £30 for a good Craghoppers shirt or £125 for a good RM shirt. They do the same thing and look similar but you pay for the name.

Saying ''I could buy 47 shirts from the market for that price!'' is kind of missing the point.

It's all about fashion and, in my opinion, that's no bad thing. Not something that I get involved in but 'whatever floats your boat' I suppose. :rolleyes:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I like nice kit. No I really like nice kit. But, even I baulk at that. Not because a shirt isn't worth that. My brother used to buy handmade Jermyn street shirts. They were worth it (if you like that kind of thing). Thing is, I'd just get sweat and gunk all over it when using it for its intended purpose. So, not for me at that point. My summer gear is a pair of OG lightweights and whatever cotton shirt comes to hand (my old green Hawkshead ripstop one for preference - spark burns and all - wish they still made them).

BUT whats it worth? Whatever people will pay him for it! He has kids and his lady is not around any more sadly. He IS a designer brand. If he can provide for his children's future and people are happy to pay the price, all power to him

Red

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Hmm... for £25 it would be a nice bit of kit but £125? I dare say they'll sell loads though and good luck to them.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
just pants ! £125 to wear sitting at the fire and working in basically. i think the man has lost the plot .the man obviously thinks he is that well thought of in bushcrafty circles he can put any price on items ,i could maybe have seen it being worth it if it were made of ventile .i wonder who will be the first on the forum to land one (if any) . mr mears is up there with georgio armani and gucci and the likes now. baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE