Ray Mears new Shirt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Thanks but no thanks, I'll stick to my £10 Swedish army shirts if its all the same to you.
Looks can indeed be deceiving but I still think the basis of that shirt is either a rebranded Orvis or a very similar design. Either way I'll stick with the £10 Jobbies.;)

B

bush_baby

heh, "£10 Jobbies" really sums it up ... I rest my case.

Goodbye, until the next interesting thread.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
This thread seems to have gone from let's have a go at Ray Mears for what his company charge for items to lets have a go at someone who says 'I think they're worth it'. We are all entitled to our own opinion. The price of an object is rarely the same as the objects value. If someone likes or wants something that doesn't 'feel right' to me so what. Although the links to alternative items has been a worthy part of these posts the sniping hasn't (just my opinion :) ).

Andyn and MattW... Have you considered that bush_baby may have inadvertantly missed two symbols from the post '....and I having one myself I know it is worth the asking price'? Because if you include an 'apostrophe' and an 'm' to the post it would read '....and I'm having one myself I know it is worth the asking price'. This post would then tally completely with the other bush_baby quote 'I have a shirt on pre-order and I have a full specification from Woodlore about the shirt, and on that basis I feel the price is justified.'

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
heh, "£10 Jobbies" really sums it up ... I rest my case.

Well it goes to show, the price of something is not always it's value.
Sums what up.:confused: Are you saying anything for a tenner is no good?.
Bring me your shirt in say ten years time and I'll show you a couple of those £10 jobbies that are at least that old now, still going strong and are used on a very regular basis.They might not cut it on the bushcraft catwalk but they work in the woods which is where it counts.;)

MattW

Forager
Jun 2, 2005
Warrington, UK
decorum,

Well, while no offence was intended via my posts, I'm afraid that comments such as those will inevitably lead to some 'good natured ribbing'. As it appears that he doesn't actually have the shirt in question, bush_baby appears to base his glowing justification for its price on the fact that he's seen the specification and that it took two years to develop (oh yes, and that it has the RM branding).

I could spend two years developing a shirt made from recycled porridge and then attempt to charge £150 for it - it doesn't mean that it would be any good though....

Matt

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Could I please request that you refrain from particularly funny replies like porridge shirts because my good natured ribs are starting to hurt :lmao:

I may be ignorant to the world of textile design but exactly how can it take two years to develop a shirt? Does this mean two continual years or weekends off and the occasional holiday? It does seem quite a long time when you think that the general shirty type pattern is two arms, a hole for the head and some buttons. I would have thought that you could pretty much have the design down in a week or sew (misspelt pun intended) :p

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Hi MattW,

Absolutely no offence was taken and you're right, at some point we all take a ribbing for something or other. I had a 'feeling' that the posts were about to snowball out of control, and I think that'd be a shame because, overall, this has been a good thread. To be honest I think that I jumped in with both feet and no offence was intended by me either. Those posts which say that cheap kit can be just as good, or even better, than the expensive alternatives are also right but just how many people decry kit that gets wrecked if they'd spent very little on it? I think most would tend to think ' Thank God (or your own choice of deity or spiritual leader) that didn't cost me much!' and hands up all those that have thought 'I wish I'd bought the..... ' (usually a more expensive item).

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I have no doubt whatever that this is a quality, hard wearing piece of kit.

If you want one, you buy one...it's that simple. If you think it is overpriced, so be it. There is no gun being put to anyones head over this.:AR15firin

I thought my 5.11 shirts were expensive at £45 each (although both sport BCUK badges, so that makes them worth so much more!!!;) )

For £125 i would want at least......well actually i DON'T know what i would want in a shirt for £125. The 5.11 shirts are in my opinion very very good, and a review in the BCUK mag prompted me to try one. I have a number of shirts ranging from the TK-Maxx specials up to North Face and the 5.11's and each in their own way offer me something.

To me 125quid is jacket territory not shirts. The BCUK jacket is worth every penny as were my Barbours and Berghaus Gore-tex jackets, and i didn't pay full price for any of them, they were all "last season" or "clerance stock" (Damn you John Norris of Penrith!!!)

I personally can't see where this shirt fits into the market. Swannies are well known and respected, surplus shirts, walking shirts all have their place, but to me this seems to offer nothing more than is already available other than a large price tag. Even the "made in Britain" bit would hike the price a bit, but as SASS can offer custom made smocks for around that price it still seems very expensive.

I hope the boy sells loads, he deserves a bit of brass for all the work he does (god knows he's never gonna get rich from the BBC:D ). For those who are buying one i hope it becomes a firm favourite in the wardrobe and gives many years of service.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Glad to some sensible posts in defence of Ray, but ......

Regarding Toddy's moderation comments, she didn't moderate (or warn away) any of the rude commentary in this thread prior to my posting in defence of the shirt and RM. That is very poor moderation in my opinion.

There were no rude comments about Ray; there were simply criticisms of the price of the shirt. I have already said, as have several other members, that Ray is well liked and held in good regard, your comments on that topic are neither helpful or courteous and frankly offensive to those who know him. The shirt isn't Ray.

My Modding is just that; I moderate.
I am expected to diffuse (de-fuse ;) ) a flashpoint before it becomes a rammy. I gave a clear and polite warning to the aggressive to tober things.

When you have bought and worn the shirt then by all means post a review, until then our conversation is just that.

Gentlemen I do appreciate the humour and the good natured comments :You_Rock_ , we have been making real efforts not to close down on threads even when they become contentious, instead giving a soft, or heavy, hint :rolleyes:
On the whole, even with over 6,000 members, this forum is remarkable for it's lack of hassle. It seems to have a very different tone to the threads than many other sites, and I know I'm not alone in saying thank you for that.

Virtute crescam......or maybe.....Formatia trans sicere educatorum .....would be better :D

atb,
Toddy

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
I for one, have found this thread particularly helpful, there have been a number of alternative products suggested, that I hadn't come across, that would appear to have been tride and tested and are clearly sturdy bits of kit for a good price.

Whilst obvious, it is clear from some of the comments that there is some mileage in shopping around. Whilst some stick has been given to the likes of TKMAX I have to say that I have bought, Craghopper, North Face and a couple of other 'outdoor clothing' branded items from there. I wonder, whilst they are held in low esteem by some, who is better off me for paying £20 for a shirt or trousers or the fella who just paid full whack at survival&survival.com. :D

Over the years I have bought a lot of gear from Woodlore, and loved every single piece, some of which I have got at a good price. The one thing that I am guarenteed about buying from Woodlore is that it is quality gear that will last.

With regard to the question of this shirt I cannot justify the cost and cannot see what benefit it has over other products at the fraction of the price. Even if I could afford it I most certainly would not risk rolling around in the woods with it.

bush_baby Looks can be very deceiving. Make a proper comparison by ordering one or by getting the full spec, as I did.

If the shirt has a value to you I simply hope it is everything that you hope for and that you get many years of enjoyment out of it. Perhaps you could even provide us with, an unbiased, review so that we can benefit from your experiences with the garment.

But, one question surely to properly compare the garment you need to do more than order one and read the spec. Surely, it's a matter or actually wearing it, and others, in a number of scenarios and then making a judgement? Whilst hard to do in a shirt I agree, you wouldn't buy a car without test driving it. Would you?

bush_baby heh, "£10 Jobbies" really sums it up ... I rest my case.

Whilst not everyone, I agree, has offered a sound argument for not buying the shirt, a defence of nah, nah ,nah, nah:nana: isn't the strongest defence and perhaps this hass been part of the issue.

As for defending RM. I've seen nothing on here that does nothing but offer the man admiration and fling a bit of campfire humour his way. It happens to all of us, its the nature of the thing. I mean the next time some mentions wells and falling in them I'll laugh as loud as I did the day it happened! :lmao: This isn't a Fanzine but the man has my and pretty much everyone else's respect.

Toddy and the other Mods, I'd just like to say a big thank you for giving up your free time to mod the site.:35: You offer the site far more than I and I for one appreciate that.

Just my pennies worth. However, I will close by saying as a result of this thread I will be buying a new craghopper shirt as soon as I get paid.

Pib

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
When i first read this thread I thought 'oh no, another RM bashing thread'.
I'm pleased that mostly it's been good natured - thank you all for that.:You_Rock_
I'm also pleased some good has come out of it as well with some other products being aired.

All the mods (including myself) are aware that the vast majority of members here don't have a problem with the way BCUK is moderated. There are a few that don't like it but that's always going to be the case - as the saying goes 'you can't please everyone all the time'. I'm not dismissing anyone there, it's just a fact of life - we're all different and have different views.

Ok, back to the thread.
Have we exhausted the RM shirt thing now?
I think most people have had something to say on this one !

Cheers

mark

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
I thought very carefully before posting here as earlier comments seem to ridicule the price/value of this shirt. All of these comments seem to be before anyone has actually seen the shirt and to be based on comparative product prices.

I have just recieved one of these as a present from someone who knows my interest in bushcraft- I presume because they know I am on a Woodlore course later in the year they found the Woodlore web page and ordered one.

My initial impressions are that its a very well made shirt, extremely comfortable to wear 100% heavy duty cotton, everything is double stitched, 2 chest pockets, the sleeves are full length - they are just rolled up on the promo picture. It is British made and bomb proof.
It is not a 'designer' shirt in that the branding is very subtle -just RM on the poppers so 99% of people wont see the association with Ray.

I can see i will be wearing this alot and it will last for many many years. I am very happy with it. I expect that there are similar shirts which can be bought cheaper and yes there will be a price mark up for brand association. I cant think of any products bought today where this doesnt happen. I dont think this will in any way harm the Woodlore reputation for quality kit.

I believe that the value people place on an item is a personal thing. To me this is more 'special' as it was a gift. It is for individals to decide whether or not they value the shirt at the price it is sold. Today I would not buy one as I havent the spare cash. If I won £1000 tomorrow then I would strongly consider buying one (if I wasnt already wearing one!).

Just my 2ps worth!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE