Ray Mears new Shirt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Let me be the first to say,,,,,

Ray Meers Action figure !!!!!! im gonna suggest it to the site and get my name in early :p

leon-1

Ray Meers Action figure !!!!!!

Would that be the one where the character has his teeth tightly clenched around a Woodlore knife, has a bow slung across his back and is achieving a Darth Vader pose with a GB SFA. When you pull the draw cord on the back he says "I have you now" through gritted teeth (they have to be as he still has the woodlore clamped in them) as he fells a tree.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I think I'll stick to my Craghoppers shirt, less than 15 quid from T.K.Maxx and it unbuttons all the way down, the way I like it. In fact I think they are really nice shirts.

CHS223.jpg

Craghopper Shirt

If I had a £125 shirt I wouldn't be wandering around through undergrowth in it. I'd wear it around town to show off. :D

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I have not bought ray mears stuff but i am full of admiration for what he has achieved. He has clearly helped to popularise a geeky activity towards the mainstream...Lots of purists seem to dislike this. I applaud his marketing and see no difference in paying £125 for a shirt or a knife..... Popular opinion suggest this would be better spent on a particular justifiably superior knife... Personally i wont buy either but we do live in a consumer society where we are taught from an early age the importance of money. Ray mears is only satisfying a demand that society has created......Live and let live...

Well Jura,if i may be so bold as to quote the grea man himself from page 11 of his tome 'The Outdoor Survival Handbook'; 'Don't pay any mind to those outdoor's folk who seem to spend most of their time talking about gear and gizmos. If you can afford a tin can as a cook pot and a blanket for your sleeping bag, thats fine. Carrying gear like that, as long as you don't let on, your well disguised as the expert who shun's flashness and believes in simplicity!

Also, on page 14 of the same book 'Clothing for the outdoors must be practical. Choose carefully and don't swallow sales-blurb too willingly'

I'm sorry Ray, but i think you are taking advantage of some people. I know your not making people buy this, but the one thing i liked about you was summed up in one word....Credibility. Now, after this shirt episode, i'm afraid i'm more inclined to be thinking exploitation and overpriced. We have all got to put food on the table and pay bill's, but i though that this, Woodlores 25th anniversary, you'd do something worthy like, a commemorative well in Africa or a free trip for some inner city kid's to the 'Outback' to teach them self respect as well as self reliance. I thought you'd put something back in, instead your taking the Mick.

Just incase anyone is not sure, i will NOT be buying this overpriced, overhyped piece of cloth, nor anything else with this mans name on it. Rant over:cussing:

B

bush_baby

What a whinging lot of bores you all are, with nothing better to do than log in to this forum and moan about Ray's kit. We live in a free country so don't buy the shirt if you don't want to. You are not being made to buy the shirt, and there are many many other bushcraft kit shops, both on and offline, where you can buy your kit.

Woodlore's kit and courses are respectively out of stock and full up continuously. People trust Woodlore and their kit and customer service is second to none, and that is why they are so popular. People return to companies that give them excellent service. They do not rip off people; that would be suicidal to running such a successful business, which brings me on to this...

Ray's reputation is not dented one micron by selling this shirt. His reputation is earnt out in the elements, doing his work day-in day-out, year-in year-out, and not by whinging on forums all day, like most of you lot. Aside from his professional work, which is a BUSINESS (duh), he also does a lot of charity work and personal visits. He is even visiting, out of his own time, a friend of mine who is currently very ill. That is what you call a man who earns his reputation and is not hell bent on just the business aspects alone.

Regarding BAFTA jokes, how many other bushcraft school leaders have presented a BAFTA btw? It just further shows that Ray has massive respect from his peers in Television as well. I hope his business rockets as he works hard and the man deserves it.

Martin

B

bush_baby

Sure, I defend your right to free speech. But, whinging for the sake of whinging is self defeating for you. When I went on a Woodlore expedition last year their terms and conditions summed it up perfectly... "no whingers please!" it said on the last line.

That would rule you out then KAE. LOL.

Overpriced is your opinion; in the meantime their kit and courses just keep selling out. The majority know they are getting good value and good service; you just whinge because you have nothing better to do.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Y'know for someone who has so far said virtually nothing on the forum you can fair rant when you choose.
Freedom of expression goes so far, this has been a relatively courteous thread; anyone who sets themselves up leaves themselves open to being criticised, and has already been said, we like a bargain. :D

Enough, time for a breather.
Anyone else who posts on the thread please do so without personal insults.

Toddy

B

bush_baby

This thread has not been courteous, or even relatively courteous, indeed it has been very insulting to Ray, calling in to account his credibility and even saying that he is "exploiting" people - it's all rubbish of course, but that is not courteous banter.

It's just the same old Ray-bashing that crops up from time-to-time and is all rooted in jealousy. Some people just cannot get over someone working in bushcraft and being a expert on the topic, being on TV, and having such a successful business. These whingers will never have any success in the bushcraft industry because they firstly need to have respect for people first and foremost (which Ray has and demonstrates in his work).

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Bushbaby ( I thought that was British Red's very Good Fortune?;) :D )

This thread has been courteous, the general feeling is that the shirt is too expensive; remember this forum is full of people who are very au fait with the prices good outdoor kit costs.

Not jealousy, not whinging, not ranting, just discussion.
Ranting against Ray? No in general folks like him, we are allowed however to question his company's judgement on the goods it sells
Push this and I will start Modding.

Toddy

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Oh dear!

Well it's nice to see that we are all still playing nicely with each other!

One purpose of the forum is to share thoughts about all facets of bushcraft, including kit, techniques and iconic figures!

You'll find that Ray Mears, the man, and Woodlore, the school, have a huge amount of respect on this forum for all that he has done for our community and our lifestyle choices.

This does not make him or Woodlore exempt from comment or criticism when it's called for. Personally I think a £125.00 shirt warrants comment and I'm sure the debate will continue and probably culminate with a review on these pages.

I think the point that has so eloquently been missed is that for many people here is that many of the members see Ray as a champion for bushcraft and it's availability to those on any budget not just the Gucci buying kit owners, the fact that he has opened the countryside to those who live in the inner city. Perhaps they feel that he or woodlore have let down the side a little with such an expensive item of kit and it's description. I'm sorry you missed the point!

As for my BAFTA comments, well yes they were a little childish but having met the man I'm pretty sure it would have raised a smile! Not unlike Graham Norton and his fat jibe!

As for the shirt, as I have said, I personally couldn't afford to risk it being destroyed whilst being out hiking or sitting by a fire. Sorry if my impoverished status offends anyone!

Of course if I'm wrong and he were to give me a buzz and say, well Pib you were a bit cheeky the other day. I'd be the first to take him for a beer and publish a massive apology afterall that's what grown up do isn't it?

Pib

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Actually, i'd like to take this opportunity to apologise for my previous rant, it was out of order being personal and i was tired and a little vexed. I'll tell you for why................

I live in Wales even though i'm a born and bred Yorkshireman. I was accompanying my young lady to a local retail outlet and was dismayed to find young kid's badgering their folks for the new England top with Beckham's name on the back, the Welsh Rugby shirt with Henson on the back, the new Nike shirt that cost a small fortune and is basically a cotton t-shirt. The scene's that were played out for an item of expensive clothing just because it had some guy's name on it was ridiculous. The parents havent got enough money to buy these kid's lunch! It all smacked of consumer exploitation to me. Then i come home and find that Ray Mears, a man i admire greatly, is now marketing a cotton shirt with his emblem on the buttons for £125 just made it seem like he had sold out.

I am sorry if it offended anyone, that was not the intention, but i hope this post goes some way to explaining why it appeared.

Just a little addendum, i have got better things to do with my life than rant about Ray, just like i have better things to do than become a free opinion Nazi!:p

Brian.T

Tenderfoot
May 24, 2007
Worthing, West Sussex
It is a silly price for a shirt, and I certainly wouldnt pay it.

Have to say though that I dont particularly blame the guy if this is his idea. I would put the business first. Are all of his good pricey? I havent really bothered having a look because logic tells me that buying something with his name on would be pricey!

Does anyone really know just how much say Ray has with the online shop? Prices and things? For all we know it might not have much to do with him.

Either way I will stick to army surplus or whatever else. :)

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
The thread above this is discussing the merits of a fairly un-cheap Hilleberg tent which
seems to be quite a different beast from the £14.99 cheapies that get sold as festival
tents. I've assumed that this shirt is a bit more robust than the shirts found in Primark
although I can't afford one and don't really need one anyway.

Also don't all lynch me will you (!) but this site sells a rather fetching ventile jacket for
£185 - and from what I've gathered of the views on ventile it's worth it - so again I've just
assumed that buying a pricier item that will do its job and last longer isn't false economy.

leatherneck

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2005
U.S.
DAMN! Carhartt makes cotton canvas shirts that are triple-stitched. And they're priced for the working man.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Bushbaby ( I thought that was British Red's very Good Fortune?;) :D )

This thread has been courteous, the general feeling is that the shirt is too expensive; remember this forum is full of people who are very au fait with the prices good outdoor kit costs.

Not jealousy, not whinging, not ranting, just discussion.
Ranting against Ray? No in general folks like him, we are allowed however to question his company's judgement on the goods it sells
Push this and I will start Modding.

Toddy

That last line Toddy smacks a bit of "It's my way or the highway" to me. Let people have a rant and vent different views, its a good thing and livens up the forum for crying out loud. Mod moderation can be a bit heavy handed on this site to say the least, but we tend to discuss this control issue via email as a public criticism could well lead to a locked thread;)

I respect Ray a lot, some don't, no big deal, I think the shirt is way over priced but I'm sure some members will buy them, which in my view makes them idiots and or fashion freaks; but thats not to say they are either in reality, just my view and I think I should have the right to express these views without mod intervention so long as I keep my language clean. To some I may come across as a tight fisted ex Brummie living in Wales, my view of myself is that of an ex Brummie living in Wales who goes for value for money, but their opinion is just as valid on a personal level to them as mine is to me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE