Rarest flying thing seen today I'll wager!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Don't you have to plant them on bare soil? Wish I'd planted some but I suppose I can always get some ready for 2018

Pretty much - it needs to be freshly turned soil or the seeds lie dormant. They germinate very fast - you still have time :)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well, you'll have a treat soon, the only other flying Lancaster is being, or has been by now, brought over from Canada to fly alongside ours so you should be hearing 10 or 12 Merlins soon. Just wish they'd buy the last flying Mosquito to go with. I read somewhere they are building one from scratch, less any parts they can scrounge up and get to function correctly like instruments

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-26326805

Atb

tom

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I'll order some & see what I can do. The shotgun route might be the way to go. I have scattered some on bare(ish) soil but not where they'd be most visible

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
Well, you'll have a treat soon, the only other flying Lancaster is being, or has been by now, brought over from Canada to fly alongside ours so you should be hearing 10 or 12 Merlins soon. Just wish they'd buy the last flying Mosquito to go with. I read somewhere they are building one from scratch, less any parts they can scrounge up and get to function correctly like instruments

Atb

tom

Is this the one your talking about? Beautiful looking plane.

[video=youtube;Xvp2AeM68iM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xvp2AeM68iM[/video]

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'll order some & see what I can do. The shotgun route might be the way to go. I have scattered some on bare(ish) soil but not where they'd be most visible

They do like disturbed soil - hence why they appear after ploughing. I would use a rake at least to rake them in and break up any compacted soil :)

I started some of ours in plug modules and transplanted the plugs - it seems to be working so far.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~

Atb

tom

And with the Lancaster coming over from Canada comes this once in a lifetime opportunity if you can afford to buy the ticket.

I know I'd do my damndest to if I had the money :D

Here's the actual auction :)

Last edited:

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Great pics Red...A truly awesome machine!The last time I saw it was at the Nottingham AFD event last year.Got a good few flypasts..Brilliant!Ill be dragging the family along to Flying legends again this year.

And as for shooting Enfields I had the privelege of shooting the long lee,and a no1 mk3 a while ago..also a ww1 mauser(orrible bolt!) and a Canadian Ross (slick)My shoulder was a rare colour(s)!!! :) :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
That was good.

Last summer when we were on Lindisfarne we saw an odd old plane, I said it was a seaplane.

My Dad took a picture and blew it up. It was a Catalina. Unmistakable.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Great pics those Hugh, a lovely site to see.

Not as impressive but still nice to see is the P51 Mustang that regularly beats up the glen where I live. Always exciting as you don't hear it 'till it's on you and then the thing roars away at low level leaving you wondering how much time you would've had to try to get to safety if it was after you.

Like the A10 Thunderbolts that used to use my Landrover parked up on the hillside during their training for the 1st Gulf war. Pretty sobering sitting there with a sarnie half way to your mouth as one of those monsters rolled around to line you up for a strafing run. Knowing that if he was pickles hot that there wouldn't be a lot left of me or the landie when he was done.

Good capture though and always a nice thing to see.

Cheers for posting,
GB.

feralpig

Forager
Aug 6, 2013
Mid Wales
I saw the Lancaster at Santa Pod, last year, or the year before, along with two mustangs, and a few others, on a memorial flight.
A greater percentage of flight crew died after launching from Podington airfield in WWII than any other airfield in the UK, so we were told. They erected a memorial stone on the start line, and had a bit of a ceremony.
We regularly get buzzed by a Spitfire here. Its brand new, (or was, a few years ago). I seem to remember that you can buy a new one for just under a million quid. The one that buzzes us takes off from Shobdon airport. Owned by, umm, a millionaire.........

mickeyluv

Tenderfoot
Nov 2, 2010
derbyshire
camera 350.jpgcamera 351.jpg

A couple of not very good photos of the lanc doing the memorial bomb run at ladybower, I had the privilidge of working on it when I was in the raf (i rebuilt the bomb aimers seat amongst other things) We also had the merlins in for a service and seeing valves the size of dinner plates left an impression on my young engine obsessed mind!

Chilliphil

Forager
Nov 16, 2013
Hampshire
Talk of some fantastic planes here, I love watching the BBMF whenever I get the chance. My grandma helped to build Mosquitos so would be special to me if one was ever flying again. Also my grandad was on the Catalinas during the war.

Every now and then we get treated to the special sound of the spitfire being that we live in the home of it, you can always hear it before you see it :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE