Rarest flying thing seen today I'll wager!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Was just treated to a personal air display as the last Lancaster in Europe buzzed the house at about 100' rattling the windows :)

Only got a couple of photos of her much further away and leaving by the time I grabbed a camera

Lancaster buzzing house by British Red, on Flickr

Lancaster over barns by British Red, on Flickr

She was at an air display today so on her way back I expect - we see her and the Spitfire and Hurricane regularly given the BBMF are based nearby - but this was the closest so far.

I know the odd person has a moan when they do a low pass - but to me, its a privilege :cool:

Last edited:

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
We used to have one based nearby I think at Coventry airport. Air Atlantic and the aircraft museum were based there until recently- they've now moved to Cornwall. Meant we used to get regular views of the Gloucester meteor as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

veryWildbill

Nomad
Aug 15, 2010
west sussex
It always gives me a thrill when I see her fly over.
Here's one taken from my house last year

Lancasteroverhouse_zps8ffe8327.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Now that's a better picture :)

I wish I had been ready for her, but of course wasn't expecting a low pass (or any pass). We get buzzed by Typhoons often - but this was a bit special!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
When she was known as "The City of Lincoln", along with the other members of the BBMF, she stayed overnight at a base I was serving at. I managed to get a clamber over most of it during the night - kidding the younger ones about the squeaks and creaks being the ghosts of its former crew - despite it never having flown during hostilities.

A memory I hold most dear!

Ogri the trog

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
We get a fair bit of low flying here because of the Wye Valley Training Area, and when it's the Tornadoes and Typhoons I swear at them vehemently, especially when working with a traumatised horse..............But you can send the old propeller
machines over as often as you like, I love the character of them.

My next door neighbour is a 94 yr. old ex-Hurricane pilot, with what they used to call "Hurricane Rash" all over his neck and chest to show for it; on the rare occasion that the old machines come over low when he's outside on his bench, the tears stream down his face unbridled, in memory of the friends and colleagues who were'nt as lucky as he was. His response to anybody rash enough to speak at such moments is "It wasn't the aircraft that did most of the killing, it was the men inside them and the men who sent them".........................

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
We live over near Elvington so occasionally we're very lucky and they fly in low over the village in the Battle of Britain display formation. You hear them first. Incredible machines

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Awesome and poignant at one BR....my late uncle navigated a Wellington during WW2 and I always struggle to comprehend the depth of courage found by those young lads....

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Poignant for sure - we are lucky here to see so much history. I was shooting my Enfield at a WWII air base here recently when we were overflown by a Spitfire. It gave me a bit of a shiver.

We have planted a monstrous number of Flanders poppies this year given the centenary, I wish the pilot could have seen them. Hopefully they will be back at the right time.

atlatlman

Settler
Dec 21, 2006
ipswich
Poignant for sure - we are lucky here to see so much history. I was shooting my Enfield at a WWII air base here recently when we were overflown by a Spitfire. It gave me a bit of a shiver.

We have planted a monstrous number of Flanders poppies this year given the centenary, I wish the pilot could have seen them. Hopefully they will be back at the right time.

I would love to own a Lee Enfield and have somewhere to fire it. :) I saw a vid a few months back on youtube of somebody doing the mad minute.

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
I would love to own a Lee Enfield and have somewhere to fire it. :)

Join a rifle club; they're quite legal to own as target rifles. Though you may prefer a No. 4 in 7.62mm as I am told that the .303 is a bit hard to find, these days. It is addictive, though, before you know it you'll have reloading presses and ten different powders, four different primers and spend your evenings discussing ballistics and iron sight patterns over halves of real ale, with a group of like-minded types.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Or buy every foresight element for the No.4 Mk II and an armourers foresight drifting tool to achieve perfect zero.....:eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE