A swarm in May

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well what happens is that the old queen goes with the swarm, not the new queen. This is what surprised me but the reason why is because there can't be two queens in a hive else they will attack each other until one is dead. The old queen leaves before the new queen is born. I believe there agree a number of queen cross layed to give more of a chance of the old hive having a queen but if there's a problem with all of them, the hive is done for.

Kind of odd but also makes good sense.

There are exceptions to everything though! In some hives where "supercedure" happens , an old queen and new queen can be side by side on a comb, both laying. Unusual but it happens apparently. In general though, two fertile females in the home is never a good idea ;)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
There are exceptions to everything though! In some hives where "supercedure" happens , an old queen and new queen can be side by side on a comb, both laying. Unusual but it happens apparently. In general though, two fertile females in the home is never a good idea ;)

I don't know if it's true but I've read that the symbol in the Chinese alphabet for trouble is two women under one roof.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE