Question for wood gatherers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
So I have access to some fallen trees and boughs but they are not accessible with a vehicle, the wood will need to be taken up wooded slopes etc.
My question is what is the easiest way to extract the wood, to carry it out bit by bit will be a herculean task as it has to go uphill.
Any ideas would be most welcome.
How do other wood gathers get the wood out of the woods ?
Thanks.:)

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Almost all of my firewood is cut on hillsides. So every piece needs to go either uphill or downhill from where I cut it to where I can get my pickup truck ... close.

Most of the time I use the "pitch" method. I cut and block it up. Then I grab each chunk and "pitch" it as far towards the truck that I can. When everything is tossed that far, I then go to that "pile" and throw it again towards my truck (or where I can get to it with the truck). Two or three "tosses" usually gets it close enough to throw it in the truck.

And sometimes I just ... carry ... it a couple pieces at a time. The big chunks I carry two at a time using those old fashioned Ice Tongs to grip each piece. That gives me a good grip on them without having to hold them in my arms/hands. Just grip that center handle on the ice tongs, slip it down over the firewood block, let the points dig in, straighten up and carry to the truck. There are several companies making/selling modern versions of wood carrier tongs, but those old single-handed ice tongs work great.

Occasionally I drag the smaller trees out to where I can get at them with the truck. With a section of rope, I can drag the smaller stuff myself. But sometimes I use a long steel cable to pull them with the truck or tractor. I could use a mechanical winch like the loggers use, but so far the initial cost hasn't been justified for the few times/places I might use it.

One neighbor uses his little 4-wheeler ATV to haul things out with a little trailer behind it, or to drag things out.

The final "tip" would be to use a wheelbarrow. People just don't think about using a wheelbarrow out in the woods. But you can move a lot of stuff with one if the ground isn't too steep.

In the end, it's just a lot of work, no matter what method you use. But working at it slow and stead will get it done in time.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
If you have access to a winch you could drag it up, but then there'll be so much dirt in the bark that it'll mess up your chainsaw.

Cutting it into pieces you can shoulder and carry is probably your best bet. Look on the bright side: Yuppies in California pay a lot of money at health clubs for that kind of exercise.

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
We have a tracked barrow, like this
f899_2.JPG

You might be able to hire one? would not recommend if ground is very steep.

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
buy a power barrow if you'll be doing it often, they're really very useful bits of kit for lugging stuff around, failing that cut it up into bits and chuck it up or down the hill until you can get it into your car or wherever you want it.

or, hire a big horse and get it all pulled out the old fashioned way:)

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Get one of those four wheel garden trailers, they are easier to use then a barrow, and they fold flat for transporting or storage.

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
Thank you very much for the replies I now have a few alternatives to think about.
I suspect that I will end up man handling the logs out, never thought of throwing them in the direction I want them, will definately give that a try.
Thanks again.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I use a couple of those huge military holdalls. The are strong and can be worn as a rucksack. I just cut the wood a little shorter than the bag and load them in. The bag is around 3 ft long so i can get around 18 ft of tree at 4 inch or less width in each bag. I have one on my back and carry the other. If the wood is fresh it can be heavy, if it's partly dry or full seasoned it's much easier going.

pwb

There are several companies making/selling modern versions of wood carrier tongs, but those old single-handed ice tongs work great.

If you're going to carry the wood out up hill by hand, pulp tongs will make it so much easier.
http://www.georgecarrpowerproducts.co.uk/acatalog/Felling_Levers__Tongs_&_Hooks.html
cut and split it into required log size then move them in wheel barrow - works for me.
I think a barrow would be a good idea. If you logged the tree where it lay and used two people, one pulling via a rope tied to the barrows front and the other pushing to get you up the slope.
If you have access to a winch you could drag it up, but then there'll be so much dirt in the bark that it'll mess up your chainsaw.
Where I work most of the woods are on slopes and I use a tractor mounted winch to extract timber for both the saw mill and for firewood.
DSC01437.jpg

If done when the ground is dry it does not present as much of a problem for a chainsaw as you would imagine.

Pete.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
LOL I once carried a fresh sopping wet chestnut log from East street to westmoreland street in Darlington, it was only about 4 foot long and 12 inch diameter, it nearly killed me it was so dense and heavy:lmao: .
What sort of wood are you getting? how thin or fat are the branches? What transport do you have? Personally i find it easier to manouver short logs in and around other standing trees and low growth such as brambles, longer ones tend to snag and catch, so I would cut the biggest and fattest down to suitable lengths to suit your stove, ready for splitting and throw them at your car, like rugby passing. I would put them in the bottom of the trailer. Smaller lighter branches I would leave as they are, stack them on top of the cut rounds and bunch them up with a couple of wagon ratchet straps to compress them. Cut those down at home with a bowsaw and/or billhook. When I went to get hazel poles last year I cut them off the stool, then reduced them to 8 foot lengths (yes some were up to 4 inch diameter and 30 foot long). Then sort of caber tossed them to one end of my working area, where they landed in a neatish paralel heap. Because of the poor vehicle acess I had to carry them in bundles the last 40 or 50 yards. I didnt have a trailer last year. I had maybe half a ton of hazel on the roofrack....stupid on my part, I drove home up the A140 only doing about 35-40 mph. Not to be recommended :) The barrow idea is good, I remember seeing one like a railway parcel barrow in Drew Langsners book? Only not so much if its a very steep slope, unless theres a clear path it wont be easy to push up-a second helper with a rope might be OK.

Arth

Nomad
Sep 27, 2007
west sussex
You can buy a 5ton hand winch off of Ebay for £30/£40. Attach rope around tree then to winch. The winch only has about 10 ft of wire so you have to keep tighting the rope

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
Just had a thought, what about using a heavy duty canvass tarp say 3m x 3m, lay flat pile wood rounds on it then fold it over and drag it behind you, it should slide over the ground.
The artic explorers pull a sled behind them loaded with much more than they could carry.
Has anyone tried dragging a tarp full of wood, or is it a daft idea.
If I can get my hands on a piece I will try it and let you know if it's a feasable method.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE