Private playground

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
Yippee!! :D

Just got permission to wander at will in the privately owned wood below, had a sneaky peak and it is fantastic 29 hectare semi natural broad leaved woodland with almost undisturbed wildlife.

woods.jpg

Access is on a wildlife watching/photography basis, with a bit of foraging thrown in. Didn't want to blow things on the first ask so went for the least controversial activities first.

Expressed an interest in helping the ranger with any management work which hopefully, once I've demonstrated what a decent responsible type I am, might lead to a bit more liberty in bushcraft terms. Need to prove that the last thing I'd want to do is damage such a fantastic habitat though!

Just thought I'd encourage those with nowhere to play, have a look at your local OS map, go and visit the woods you can, speak to the landowners you meet and who knows where it might lead!

Scoops

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
I forgot to mention it's in an AONB too :D There are no pheasants/shooting rights, the wood is managed purely to promote wildlife.

When I found it last weekend there were tracks everywhere.

Below is fantastic Roe deer track, I spooked who made it about 30 secs after taking this picture (hooray for Advantage Timber :D )! I would have followed the tracks further but I didn't want to get nabbed too far from the nearest path before I had asked permission.

roedeertrack.jpg

Going for a proper explore this weekend, can't wait :D

Scoops

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Excellent news, it goes to show that there is light at the end of the tunnel for people looking for somewhere. I hope you have many hours of enjoyment there. What an opportunity to learn :D

Feygan

Forager
Oct 14, 2006
Northern Ireland
I think the term is:

"you lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky so and so"

have a great time. :You_Rock_

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
OK somebody pinch me, was out sailing yesterday so today was my first proper opportunity to explore my new playground. :D

I have died and gone to heaven! The woods are stunning!

woods2.jpg

Aside from the bridleway that runs through the SE edge there are *no* human paths or even evidence that the world outside exists, just animal paths and a pristine woodland.

Best break out my Roger Phillips collection, there are fungi everywhere, what a chance to learn!

fungi1.jpg

fungi2.jpg

fungi3.jpg

If you know what any of these are, don't tell me just yet, it's tonight's entertainment :D

Cheers :beerchug:

Scoops

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
D'you think the planners would go for us dividing the country up into natural playgrounds?
Seriously, that looks so very good. Hope you enjoy it for a long tiime to come.

Cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE