This is why landowners despair

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
IMG_20230117_161413.jpg

This watercourse is a Lincolnshire dyke, a man made drainage channel and part of a network of connected systems that keep the land drained and able to produce the amazing amounts of food that the county is known for.

Being part of a connected system and steep sided the dykes form wildlife corridors and also refuges for water voles, amphibians and many water birds. This particular dyke edges a very minor single track road near the cottage. It's home to breeding ducks and a family of Little Egrets.

The team who maintain the dyke go to great efforts to keep it from silting up, keep the edges solid and avoid interfering with birds or mammals.

Tonight we found this on top of a low area where the Egrets roost

IMG_20230117_161421.jpg

Whoever fly tipped could have done it on a flat field on the other side of the road less than 6 feet away. They chose to dump deliberately into the water on top of an important habitat.

We will report it and help to clean it up.

I know it's a minority that do this but if you ever wonder why landowners don't welcome people - this is why. It's impossible to monitor everywhere and when people bend over backwards to grow food responsibly and help wildlife, you get this.

Sometimes I just detest humanity.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I agree with you and your reaction.

I've said before though, that around here, most of the rubbish in the countryside, hedges, fields and along the rivers, is farm waste - feed and salt buckets, silage wrapping, empty plastic dosing bottles, bailing twine, feed bags - it's not just wind-blown either, a lot of it is just 'left' behind.

Until we all take responsibility for the mess we don't stand a chance of educating town folk :(

farm plastic waste.jpg

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It's different here Broch - there's no farm waste left. I doubt that is altruistic but rather the type of farming. Where its highly mechanised arable farming stray stuff getting into drills, combines, pea harvesters and the like are very expensive problems. Waste is rigorously policed. Where it's more manual you do see occasional ripped gloves and dropped hats but its minimal

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
There is no excuse for that. Absolutely none.
I hope there's something in the mess that identifies it's origin and the folks who did it get the bill, a complete bill including volunteers time, etc., as well as face the charges for fly tipping.
Sadly I doubt it will be pursued.
The cost of the investigation and prosecution/civil case is not proportionate to any fine or costs.
It’s disgusting behaviour.

I live in town and there’s a few houses near me who dump everything on the street, old furniture, carpets and other junk that won’t be taken by the domestic refuse people.
So the council send a van to collect it, so the residents dump more stuff because the council collect it….

Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I agree with you and your reaction.

I've said before though, that around here, most of the rubbish in the countryside, hedges, fields and along the rivers, is farm waste - feed and salt buckets, silage wrapping, empty plastic dosing bottles, bailing twine, feed bags - it's not just wind-blown either, a lot of it is just 'left' behind.

Until we all take responsibility for the mess we don't stand a chance of educating town folk :(

View attachment 77829
You can put photos onto Google Maps.
Just in case you were wondering...

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
I have no words.

It's one of the things that depresses me most about the culture of this country. Somehow, there's a minority that thinks littering (in any form) is acceptable.

What you've got there Hugh, looks like a commercial dump. Possibly somebody's been charged to have rubbish cleared up, then it's been dumped.

Is there any way to restrict access?
Failing that, have you any wildlife/trail cameras?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have no words.

It's one of the things that depresses me most about the culture of this country. Somehow, there's a minority that thinks littering (in any form) is acceptable.

What you've got there Hugh, looks like a commercial dump. Possibly somebody's been charged to have rubbish cleared up, then it's been dumped.

Is there any way to restrict access?
Failing that, have you any wildlife/trail cameras?
Not my land, it belongs to a neighbour. We all have cameras but it's a flat land & fields are massive. You could bankrupt yourself just trying to identify someone who the law then treats with a slap on the wrist. Farmers here have been very badly beaten trying to stop things like hare coursing.

My lovely neighbours don't deserve it. Sometimes I feel like throwing an enormous fence up around our area just to keep the rest of humanity out :(

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
It is everywhere and I think local Councils making it more difficult to use their refuse disposal sites are part of the problem. Notwithstanding it is just too easy to do it. We have had this problem on our allotments too, out of sight, out of mind.

Reactions: British Red

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
A few years ago there was a story of a tipper truck being seen driving up a suburban road, turning around then driving off with its tipper up leaving behind a truckload of rubbish. Apparently it wasn't the first time it was done but this time a property had a camera pointing down the road.

Flytipping happens from built up areas to countryside. It matters not where just that it shouldn't happen anyway.

BTW I've made the point on another forum that I view flytipping and littering as kind of a spectrum of wrong. Pet hates of mine are ppl who argue that food waste chucked away on walks or cycles isn't really littering as they decompose. Well I've been on a few hills in the Lakes where blackened banana skins remained recognisable for easily over a year and positively made the summit cairn stink from that and other rubbish.

I know littering is small scale but imho it's about the attitude of the person leaving the waste behind not the amount. Sorry, pet rant over!

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
A few years ago there was a story of a tipper truck being seen driving up a suburban road, turning around then driving off with its tipper up leaving behind a truckload of rubbish.
They've done that twice down my lane which is single track but they also did it 2 roads away and completely blocked a full width road. Fly tipping is rife around here.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
I learned a new ENGLISH term. Please explain the origins of ‘fly tipping’ the meaning is obvious.
Years ago, a fancy hotel up the coast near Harry and Meghan
Was flushing sewage directly into the ocean. They paid tuppence fines and mentioned their guest list. ‘Someone’ active then in EARTH FIRST!’ Found the huge cast wheels that closed said pipes. They were shut and then removed with the special spammer. Then a large ‘Irish Screwdriver’ was used to peen the shafts at right angles.
This at incoming tide at night in wetsuits.
In short order, the sewage backed up sending guests, staff and insecure security staff fleeing.

• Love
Reactions: Droidy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
"Being Fly", or doing something, "On the Fly", is to be sleekit, sneaky, guileful, underhand, shifty.

Fly Tipping is dumping rubbish in such a manner and is defined as the, "illegal deposit of any waste onto land that does not have a licence to accept it".

Being descrived as a, ''Fly Man", has connotations of being self serving, conniving, doing fine by using others.

M

Reactions: Droidy and Winnet

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I learned a new ENGLISH term. Please explain the origins of ‘fly tipping’ the meaning is obvious.
Doing something "on the fly" means doing it fast, unplanned and whilst moving. Fly tipping is stealthy and can be done by literally raising the bed of a tipper truck whilst moving..tipping "on the fly"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE