This is why landowners despair

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
There's a lot of such activity rubbish around. For example even a well organised sportive event like the Fred Witton round for cyclists has issues with discarded energy bar wrappers and gel packets. I used to see an load of small, silver pressure bottles as used for cycle tyre inflators on a certain stretch of road splitting two sections of houses with a countryside stretch. I ranted to someone about. How inconsiderate my fellow cyclists were. Until someone pointed out that they were waste product of a certain activity. Can you guess? Nitrous oxide inhalation for personal gratification. Laughing Gas! The legal drug at the time.

So littering is fairly common with activities as in normal life.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
The nitrous oxide canisters really annoy me , as do cans/bottles of drink.
If you want to sit in the park (or a car) and do these things it’s a matter for you, but why leave a mess. Nobody would care, or probably even know if the mess was put in the bin.

Winnet

Forager
Oct 5, 2011
Aberdeen
There's a lot of such activity rubbish around. For example even a well organised sportive event like the Fred Witton round for cyclists has issues with discarded energy bar wrappers and gel packets. I used to see an load of small, silver pressure bottles as used for cycle tyre inflators on a certain stretch of road splitting two sections of houses with a countryside stretch. I ranted to someone about. How inconsiderate my fellow cyclists were. Until someone pointed out that they were waste product of a certain activity. Can you guess? Nitrous oxide inhalation for personal gratification. Laughing Gas! The legal drug at the time.

So littering is fairly common with activities as in normal life.
I have been involved in a few local foot races on trails and the organisers have usually raised the issue of litter. Thankfully there hasn't been much to pick up. It is a token effort but you have to start somewhere.

G

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I did read about parkruns were losing venues because of litter issues in a few places. After negotiations they restarted but everyone was expected to walk sections of bthe course picking up litter even if not likely to be from a participant.

I find you get visitors to the lakes with a town or city mentality to litter. Basically they see litter as the responsibility of the council to clear up. They leave litter in carparks without litter bins and a collection of said bins. Like they expect the councils to pick up their rubbish even in a passing point parking spot in the hills.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Thankyou for the translations.
‘ on the fly’ is a older phrase for a spontaneous or poorly organized
activity here. Language is very fluid and constantly changing . I told a friend to ‘hang up the phone and get some sleep.’ HUH?

Reactions: British Red

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I note someone mentioned councils making it more difficult to dump waste being a small part of the problem.

I would have to politely say I disagree. I have a waste disposal licence - I have had it renewing now annually for a few years, so exact terminology might be off.. It allows me to dispose of my own commercial waste (maybe other folks too? I don't recall now), but its the easiest thing ever from a commerical point of view.
Make sure it's a weekday, load up the van, go to my waste disposal folder (records one is legally obliged to keep), make sure I have some disposal forms which I print off part filled in anyway, fill in the various details (about 5 minutes maximum for someone who is literate), drive to the dump with yellow jacket and helmet and steel boots, drive onto weigh scales, hand over 2 identical forms, drive to dumping area, offload, drive back onto exit weigh scales, pay the required fee (priced per 250kg), receive back 1 of my forms which is stamped and all the council gubbins, file it away and head back.

With respect, if one can't do the above, then they don't deserve to have a vehicle let alone be responsible for waste.

Admittedly some councils have made it harder for the average homeowner to dump sofas and things because of stopping free collections, meaning they have to turn to waste disposal folks, but then there are so many reputable ones out there and as a homeowner it's your responsibility to make sure you use a reputable one - or, load up your car and do it yourself for free.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I did read about parkruns were losing venues because of litter issues in a few places. After negotiations they restarted but everyone was expected to walk sections of bthe course picking up litter even if not likely to be from a participant.

I find you get visitors to the lakes with a town or city mentality to litter. Basically they see litter as the responsibility of the council to clear up. They leave litter in carparks without litter bins and a collection of said bins. Like they expect the councils to pick up their rubbish even in a passing point parking spot in the hills.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Crap, I botched that quote up, anyway I usdd to go to Hodge Close a fair bit years ago and I don't know if you know that area but the small quarry I used to go through to get down to the bottom (think it's called Parkeets Quarry?) always had a mass of crap dumped in it by the locals.
Same with loads of farms which have a tip chocka with all sorts of chemical containers.
I've grown up on a hillfarm and knocked about on farms as a kid.
Littering in the countryside isn't just done by people from towns.

Reactions: Dogoak

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE