Posting (packages and parcels) rules in the UK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I was just reading midnighthound's post about posting the tritium keyring off and the woman in the pst office wanting to know what's in the packages etc, I was talking to Mac the other day as well and he described the same thing. I don't get that around here for some reason, we just send stuff of and we're left alone, maybe because they know us... not sure.

Anyway, the point of this thread is for us to clarify what we're required to do for posting items, many of us do it so I thought some clarity for others would be good, I might turn it into an article if it seems appropriate.

My understanding is that we have to be mindful not to post anything on the list of prohibited items and we only need to state, if asked, that there's nothing in there on the list, the person over the counter does not need to know what is actually in the package, just that there's nothing on the list in there.

Anyone got anything to add to that?

Also, when wrapping/boxing items have you any good tips for ease of posting, as in always have a return address, use a box if possible or a padded envelope etc?

We always tend to just grab whatever is on hand with no real thought to what it is, just as long as it covers and protects the item.

Any thought's?

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I know when posting knives I have to go to my city centre post office now. There's some ambiguity it would seem in branches between what constitutes a weapon. The website clearly states PROHIBITED weapons, but the fact sheet in branch depicts a knife with the word weapons under it. If you speak to a manager they always confirm it IME. The website also states that knives and sharp objects are fine so long as they are packaged appropriately as to not cause risk of injury to staff. The general consensus is wrapping stiff cardboard around the cutting edge. I also normally put a tip protector in there to stop any chance of it piercing the box. They're only pennies online.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
My understanding is that we have to be mindful not to post anything on the list of prohibited items and we only need to state, if asked, that there's nothing in there on the list, the person over the counter does not need to know what is actually in the package, just that there's nothing on the list in there.

I've been told otherwise by the Post office that you have to say what is in the package if asked so I tell them the truth.

For example when I posted a book and some gloves the other day and was asked what's in it I told them dried cellulose fibre and processed plant material. Another time I posted a plane and said cast iron.

They've yet to query what it exactly is :rolleyes:

If I've still got the letter I recieved I'll post a copy of it up here

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
the problem is caused by a disparity in the information that the Post Office staff are given.

The 'helpful' sheet that is on display for us to see is fairly obvious and not at al really restricting. It only causes a problem because the muppet that did the graphics used a knife to illustrate a weapon; so the staff assume that they are banned (which they are not)

The on-screen information that they read off when they go through the parcel processing has a list of prompts and questions that they should ask. The wording goes along the lines of "What is inside the package?", which is why they often ask to know exactly hat is in there.

The ACTUAL requirements that are handed down from upon high by the Royal Mail are more inline with the badly illustrated poster. They tell the PO staff member to ask whether there is anything in there that should not be and to double check with the approved (banned) list of items. Then to ensure that anything that needs to be specially wrapped is done so. It doesn't actually require them to know what is inside, just that it isn't a banned item. In my case, that means that any sharply pointed objects are safely wrapped and that there is no chance of them protruding through the packaging.

The reason some Post Offices ask and some don't is down to who did the training and which on-screen prompts they read out. I use a small local PO in a village near me and I've noticed that the single member of staff who has been there for years never asked stupid questions, but would ask if I'm posting anything that i shouldn't such as batteries (seems to be an actual problem that has been seen). While the newer staff will ask me every question on the screen and appear to be proper jobs-worths. I post multiple packages (from 1st class letters to international parcels, and everything in between) out twice a week quite often,there are 4 members of staff there and they still ask the same silly questions despite knowing that I'm not posting anything naughty (well, in the eyes of their bosses/law anyway!). I hear the same phrases repeated verbatim and I see their eyes tracking along lines of script, just going on autopilot.

If the computer system where rewritten to have generic prompts instead of specific questions (as the official guidelines actually are), then I doubt we would have any problems. That and taking the silly pictures off the poster!

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
An Asian at the local Post Office counter grilled me mercilessly because I'd written the return address on what he held was the wrong side of the package.

I don't go there any more.

Without telling me what he was doing, a Brit at the slightly less local Post Office ran my debit card through as a cash withdrawal instead of what it really was. It was declined because I'd just taken out my day's cash limit at the Co-op.
I'm quite sure he's on the fiddle. He was very embarrassed that he'd been caught out, and got so flustered that he actually gave me an extra couple of quid in change which I kept.

I don't go there any more either.

Unfortunately I'm running out of Post Offices.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I got stopped from sending some section of Red Deer legbone (knife handling material) as it was "Animal Remains" - but I am sure a canteen of Ivory handled cutlery went without issue!
I can see the reasons for the rules - but they need applying with a bit of common sense!

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I tend to say "a variety of stuff none of which is on that list" because usually I'll be posting a couple of big boxes this time of year.

When I posted my descender rings and I told them what was in the packet they said 'what'? so I replied 'aluminium tubing bent into a ring' and they were still none the wiser.

I'm beginning to think the literal replies are the best, so a knife would be a bit of stainless steel and some plastic or wood.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think the methods used by MyHermes etc. are so much more efficient. Weigh the parcel at home, key in details online, click one box to confirm no prohibited items, print label, drop off at local shop 7 days a week till 10pm. All this for half the price of Royal Mail - I just wont use them any more if I can avoid it, expensive, rude and inconvenient.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London

this is indeed the case, but since when did the average worker actually no the rules? A few months ago i had to post off a watch. The post office clerk stated "for security reasons can you tell me what is inside", so i informed him that it was none of his business but that it conformed with all of their policies and restricted items etc. He refused to accept the parcel. Same thing happened when i was sending a christmas present on behalf of my mother last year.

It is nothing to do with security, it is so they can try and up-sell. Just try going into a post office and telling them you want to post a watch 2nd class. they'll do their damndest to sell you special delivery.

Now i just lie, or like mesquite, i tell them what it is composed of, steel, cow, pig etc. They give me funny looks ut they can't prove me wrong. It's none of their business, it is absolutely nothing to do with security (because if it were say, drugs, you'd hardly tell them). Unless they want to start tampering with mail, they cannot prove you wrong so why bother asking the question, if not for selling you additional insurance.

edit: I just read through their terms and agreements, there is absolutely nothing within the documentation that states they may demand to know the content. It clearly states that it is your responsibility to make sure it does not contain restricted items, and that if it does, you are solely liable.

Last edited:

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
there you go, that phrase "for security reasons, can you tell me what's inside?" is one of their programmed responses that comes up on the screen. If the programmer had written it as " for security reasons, can you confirm that there are no prohibited items inside?" then I'm sure that the staff wouldn't get so arsey and the customers wouldn't get the hump and feel got at and turned away.

I always go in knowing what method of posting I am going to be using and have often had to get the staff to double check or change what they are going to do. In the case of my little post office it isn' that they are trying to shaft me or upsell, it's just that I am more familiar with their system than they are!

Normally when they ask what is in there, I say tools of some sort (normally "basketry tools", "woodworking tools", "bookbinding tools", etc) or " I can't remember, but nothing on your banned list. I'll be sure to let you know when I start sending explosives!". The only time I recall getting a proper jobsworth in another PO (new management, new staff, grumpy middle aged Indian lady) insisting to know what was in there, having said that it's a "wooden thing", I politely told her that it was in fact a "pony-tailed butt plug". Interestingly, she said that it was fine and carried on as though nothing was amiss?!

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Any knife you can buy from any shop, and have posted to you, you can post to someone else.

Ive had three knives refused and one hatchet. I called the post office before i went, and they have a department which states whats allowed and what isnt allowed. They told me it was allowed, but when I got to the post office they refused to send it.

Because it happened to me three times, I called the main post office back, and asked them to send me some compensation, for petrol and time etc. They initially refused then sent me a cheque for £20.

They also told me from now on if any staff in a post office refuses to post a knife, to tell them to ring their own internal department themselves, and ask them if its legal.

They're basically all legal.

So long as it not a flick-knife or something which you already know is illegal.

The post office should send it.

Oh, and we now dread myhermes delivering stuff, as the british pakistani lad is scared to death of dogs, and has taken to just throwing stuff over the gate, in the dark and in the rain, or cramming stuff into the letter box, so its ripped open on the floor.
I had to complain about it, when we found in the utility, that he'd just entered the premises and thrown a massive sack of fat balls on the floor which exploded all over....the list goes on. He's a nightmare.
I just take photos now, of the parcels and send them to the sender, and ask they complain instead of me.
Im expecting something tonight. he never rings the bell or knocks......:bluThinki

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oh, and we now dread myhermes delivering stuff,

I have the same reaction to DPD who flat out tell lies about attempted deliveries around here. The motion activated camera at the gate shows that! Others rave about them though. The one thing I am sure about is the PO are way behind their competitors in terms of price and convenience.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Oh yeh, thats true.
One little ditty to add though. I use www.parcels2go.com to post my stuff, and choose the cheapest courier.
My only bugbear, is the postal insurance they try and sell you on top.

However, Im pretty sure that if you have bought something, using your credit card, and posted it, within 3 years, you should be covered under section 75 of the consumer credit act, if it got lost in the post.

So, if you could book directly with DPD, MyHermes, UPS, etc, you would be covered under section 75 of the consumer credit act if it got lost or damaged in the post.

But because, parcels 2go is a third party, you would not be covered and would have to buy the extra insurance.

[Thats info coming from two conversations, one with a woman who works for the credit card department at my bank, and the second with a woman at parcels2go]

Last edited:

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
I sent an email this afternoon requesting a clear confirmation either way on whether post office staff have the right to demand to know the contents (if i tell them and there are other customers in ear shot then they have breached their own confidentiality agreement per their own terms and conditions).

Then i can walk in and make that indian family look like utter muppets (it is one of these family run post offices, you walk inside and you'd swear it was a crack den, it is simply a completely derelict shop with a PO counter at the end. They don't give two damns so it would be fun to show them the proof and inform them you are making an official complaint against them. I cannot stand employees who get ideas above their station, let alone not being able to think for themselves.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I just say tools and they are happy.

And I make sure the parcels are well and safely wrapped too.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Yeh, ive tried that one. Camping tool.
And, 'its a gralloching tool'
'Whats that?'
'For taking bits of deer off'
'oh'

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
The post office HQ will tell you that you have to tell them what the contents are.

I was very specific in whether it was stating what the item is, or stating that it complies with their policies and restrictions. We shall see.

I find it very interesting that the public are required to do this but a business can just drop off a car load of boxes without 1 question asked. It's all about selling you insurance. They know they can't pull a quick one over a company, but Johnny English is a different story.

But I just lie. Not their business, not my problem. None of my items break the law.

hughlle1

Nomad
Nov 4, 2015
London
I didnt realise they made a distinction between companies and people, thats wrong.

Yup. If you have a corporate account (or even if you just pre pay your postage labels as an I individual) you literally stick the label on the box, walk into the post office, plonk it in the parcel window and walk off. You do not have to confirm the contents let alone if it contains restricted items. So why is it different when you pay at the counter? Because you havnt paid yet so they still have time to convince you to pay for a more expensive option. Try it, tell them it is a watch and all of a sudden they start asking about value, insurance, special delivery..

Privatisation, such a good thing :/

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE