Heads up - Post office not sending sharps after 22th April

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
It is all about perceptions again, Hunting = brutish and bad, Survival = fighting zombies and is double plus ungood, Machetes = Mexican drug cartels, Billhooks = morris dancing and quaint country pursuits. If somebody makes a movie called "Swiss army ninja assasin" we will be well and truly stuffed.

GreyCat

Nov 1, 2023
South Wales, UK
Interesting how the RM have suddenly had a change of heart..... wonder who lobbied them......

They haven't done themselves any favours tho, and I would guess at least some of the suppliers of sharp things effected by the original policy had sorted an alternative with UPS and so may not go back to RM.

GC

Reactions: William_Montgomery

Every_Cloud

Mar 13, 2024
Southern part of the UK
It probably won't help but if you don't try you definitely won't get it!

I have written to my local MP asking the government to review their view on knives/sharp objects. As follows:

" My husband passed away just over three years ago. His hobby was collecting knives, Swiss Army Knives and Custom knives some very beautiful. I never got involved in his hobby my view then was that they were sharp dangerous objects. However I am now educated, people collect these for all sorts of reasons, the type, make, to add to their collections, in some cases never to be used and definitely not for stabbing others !

My reason for writing is that our UK Laws prevent me selling these collectors pieces on eBay, Facebook and now I have heard that Royal Mail will not ship these from 22nd April 2024. These knives are treasured and most of them never used unless they are a utility knife used for camping, sailing and adventure type sports, there is even one of the Swiss Army Knives for opening watches.

I do not have the stats but I think if we looked at these regarding what types of knives are used to cause injury to persons that we would find that those knives are kitchen knives, handmade knives and purpose made knives not knives that people collect and treasure. Where will it stop, shall we ban forks because they could kill someone?

I would be very grateful if the government could put a balanced prospective on the ownership and use of knives in the UK 'just because one has a knife it does not mean that they intend stabbing someone'. "

His quick response:

"Many thanks for your email. I have raised your points with Home Office ministers and I will be in touch as soon as I receive any replies.

Best wishes"

Email your local MP -
It might not make a difference but unless we speak up no one will hear us.

Dec 29, 2022
East Suffolk

I have written to my local MP asking the government to review their view on knives/sharp objects. As follows:

" My husband passed away just over three years ago. His hobby was collecting knives, Swiss Army Knives and Custom knives some very beautiful. I never got involved in his hobby my view then was that they were sharp dangerous objects. However I am now educated, people collect these for all sorts of reasons, the type, make, to add to their collections, in some cases never to be used and definitely not for stabbing others !

My reason for writing is that our UK Laws prevent me selling these collectors pieces on eBay, Facebook and now I have heard that Royal Mail will not ship these from 22nd April 2024. These knives are treasured and most of them never used unless they are a utility knife used for camping, sailing and adventure type sports, there is even one of the Swiss Army Knives for opening watches.

I do not have the stats but I think if we looked at these regarding what types of knives are used to cause injury to persons that we would find that those knives are kitchen knives, handmade knives and purpose made knives not knives that people collect and treasure. Where will it stop, shall we ban forks because they could kill someone?

I would be very grateful if the government could put a balanced prospective on the ownership and use of knives in the UK 'just because one has a knife it does not mean that they intend stabbing someone'. "

His quick response:

"Many thanks for your email. I have raised your points with Home Office ministers and I will be in touch as soon as I receive any replies.

Best wishes"

Email your local MP -
Good job.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I would like to think that the person updating the website didn't get that memo, but knowing the way things are, they might have ignored it, or maybe there has been another change of tack. Will just have to wait and see.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

His quick response:

Best wishes"

Email your local MP -

While I’m with you 100% in your sentiment, as are many others, it is not the law preventing you selling knives on eBay, Facebook or Etsy for that matter. Neither is it the law preventing Royal Mail from carrying them. It is simply company policy. If a private company chooses not to sell a certain item, then that is entirely up to them. There is no law on the selling of knives, though there are criteria and exceptions and those are written in law.

The whole RM debacle is an utter mess and has been for a long time. Asking people the actual contents of a package is intrusive and insulting. They will take your word almost without question, so why not simplify the process by asking if there is anything in the contents that is prohibited or restricted?

Last edited:
Reactions: Pattree

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
One view on the change of plan:

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
The whole RM debacle is an utter mess and has been for a long time. Asking people the actual contents of a package is intrusive and insulting. They will take your word almost without question, so why not simplify the process by asking if there is anything in the contents that is prohibited or restricted?
They used to ask me at the local post office what was in the packet, so one day when asked by a rather prim and proper lady behind the counter what i was sending, i said, just loud enough for everyone in the queue behind me to hear "adult toys without batteries", her face was a picture, lots of sniggering in the queue behind and strangely, she never asked me again.

:wacky::wacky::wacky:

• Haha
Reactions: GreyCat and Chris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE