Posting (packages and parcels) rules in the UK

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
There must be, else how to explain how I could happily be sent a dirk blade to be delivered by the local postie.

Well, if you post that blade and they say you cannot, they are wrong. And you should ask them to call their department which deals with that and ask. And they will back you up.

Maybe its pressure from the police or something?

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Keep reminding post office staff that theirs is a confidential delivery service. They have the right to know if they are delivering restricted items. They do not have the right to know what is in the package, because that removes the confidentiality that is part of the service that they are offering. The request to know the contents is not a legal right on their part.

Apart from which they apply the rules inconsistently. What is to stop me putting a banned substance, like anthrax or heroin (if I had any) into a letter? Or a razor blade? They don't ask for the contents of those.

Secondly, the policy of asking the poster to declare the contents is by definition useless. If I am Mr A. Terrorist Esq. and I'm asked what is in the package, I am hardly likely to say "Well, since you ask, it is a nailbomb disguised as a Christmas present. I was really hoping that you were not going to ask this time". So what does it achieve?

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
So, it's a case of they do not need to know what's in the package, just that the package does not contain any of the items on their prohibited list, if they're not happy with this then we can ask them to call their head office and get confirmation that they do not need to know what's in the package.

That right?

Isn't it also correct that they can refuse to serve anyone they want? or is that just a policy if you have more than a few items?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Isn't it also correct that they can refuse to serve anyone they want? or is that just a policy if you have more than a few items?

Yup I was refused when I tried telling the counter staff that they were wrong and didn't need to know.

Their excuse for refusing to serve me?

They didn't like my attitude :censored:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Just found the letter I had from the post office regarding my complaint about being asked what the contents are in a package I was trying to send.

I can only scan to PDF which isn't possible to post on the forum so this is it typed out.

Dear Mr Harral

Thank you for your email about your experience at our .... Post office branch

I'm sorry you feel you are being asked unnecessary questions to disclose the contents of the item you were posting. I do appreciate the concern that this matter has cause you and please accept my sincere apologies. for this.

It may help if I explain to you that customers are asked about the contents of their parcels in order for us to comply with the International Civil Aviation Organisation's (ICAO) technical instructions for the carriage of dangerous goods in the mail. This is a clear legal requirement enforced by the transport regulators. These technical instructions outline which items we must not accept for posting (items which are prohibited because they are too hazardous for safe transportation) and those low hazard items which we can accept, but only as long as the necessary checks are carried out to ensure they can be transported safely. I am unable to supply documentary evidence to support this as we are only taking instruction from our client, Royal Mail who themselves have been instructed by Civil Aviation Authority.

To ensure that we comply with these transport regulations, our Branch Assistants must ask customers about the contents of their parcels so they can identify whether a prohibited or restricted dangerous good is in the parcel. This then allows them to take the correct next steps to ensure the mail is safe. They must ask this question and unfortunately cannot proceed with accepting parcels for posting without this question being answered, even if customers tell us the parcel does not contain of the items listed on the dangerous good laminate.

The reason for this is that our Branch Assistants are trained to help identify 'hidden' dangerous goods (those items that are likely to contain dangerous goods, but are not immediately apparent obvious) such as lighters (flammable content), iPhones (Lithium Battery) and soda streams (compressed gas).

This way our Branch Assistants can ensure dangerous goods too hazardous for transportation are not accepted and that those which can be accepted are treated correctly so they can be transported safely. Unfortunately because of the number of items which have 'hidden' dangerous goods in them it would be impractical to list all of them on an easy to understand and customer friendly laminate, especially when a number of our customers do not speak or read English as their first language.

In addition, when items are sent outside the UK, our Branch Assistants also need to know the contents to ensure the item is not prohibited by the destination country. This is to avoid customers' being disappointed by sending items that will be refused by the destination country; for istance bedding will not be accepted when sent to Australia.

It is not our intention to be intrusive, only to ensure the mail is safe and to ensure we comply with the transport regulations set out (which applies to all carriers of mail) for this purpose.

It is also important for us to identify dangerous goods upfront to avoid customers' parcels which contain prohibited dangerous goods being disposed of when found later in screening.

I do hope this helps answer your query and I trust that you will have no further cause for concern.

Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused and be assured that your continued custom is valued.

If you need any further help... blah de blah

So basically they're blaming everyone else for the rules and need to know requirements. As for their assistants being trained that's a joke because I really doubt if any of them could identify every dangerous item and whether or not it might be refused entry in another country, not to mention their own personal interpretation of the rules as to what is dangerous and what isn't :rolleyes:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Patently absurd jobsworth rules, but I believe that, as a private company, they should be able to have whatever rules they like.

I also think that any protected monopolies they have (such as letter post) should be thrown open to the wider commercial market (you are either a private company or you aren't).

In the mean time I will simply take my business to companies that do allow me to confirm that I am not breaking any rules as to content without intrusive questions. Oh and next time parcel farce and Royal Fail whinge about how they can't make a profit, my reply will be "good". They have a superior attitude and I will not be patronised by a glorified delivery boy.

Post Tenebras Lux

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2015
Cambridgeshire
In the mean time I will simply take my business to companies that do allow me to confirm that I am not breaking any rules as to content without intrusive questions. Oh and next time parcel farce and Royal Fail whinge about how they can't make a profit, my reply will be "good". They have a superior attitude and I will not be patronised by a glorified delivery boy.

They probably struggle with profit considering the amount of managers we have lol.

It's ridiculous! There are normally two department managers on the same shift per department which is fair enough when you see the size of some of the distribution depots but inside on the parcels area it's really not that demanding.

It's really bizarre. I don't know what industry standards are for worker/manager ratio but Royal Mail are definitely failing in that regard.

I'm on £11.98 an hour and I'm just a random worker. Dread to think what they make!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They probably struggle with profit considering the amount of managers we have lol.

It's ridiculous! There are normally two department managers on the same shift per department which is fair enough when you see the size of some of the distribution depots but inside on the parcels area it's really not that demanding.

It's really bizarre. I don't know what industry standards are for worker/manager ratio but Royal Mail are definitely failing in that regard.

I'm on £11.98 an hour and I'm just a random worker. Dread to think what they make!

The same is true for many of the ex nationalised employers - the amount of managers in the NHS in some areas made me weep!

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com

I need a job change! :D

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
I think the methods used by MyHermes etc. are so much more efficient. Weigh the parcel at home, key in details online, click one box to confirm no prohibited items, print label, drop off at local shop 7 days a week till 10pm. All this for half the price of Royal Mail - I just wont use them any more if I can avoid it, expensive, rude and inconvenient.

seconded. I always use interparcel as they are now £2.80 instead of Royal Fail at £12 odd, although they did loose half of the last post and no compo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE