possibility of a Devon Meetup?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Only thing guys - the bars not open :shock: but tea & coffee available.Meet in the car park by my viechle (has my logo on the wheel cover).
Neil

Mallow Man

Jul 10, 2004
Devon
So....we are meeting at a 3-star hotel and you are bringing edged 'tools'.

Marvellous. If you can turn up is full camo aswell we will not look out of place at all!

Mal

p.s. shall I get a release 'chit' from the local constabulary in advance?

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Don't like to throw a spanner in the works but it won't be easy for us to get there, it's a bit out of the way... I wouldn't fancy walking there from the centre or getting a bus :?: Also in terms of people who don't know the area getting there. Would there be a possibility of meeting perhaps in the centre and then going there?

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
I really don't mind where we go, I won't be bringing kit as I feel a little uncomfortable wandering round cities with any tools and everyone has seen tarps etc before, I do not mind meeting people before hand, I have to get into Exeter by 10am anyway to look at a room (I'm moving to Exeter). I guess its really up to you guys,

Greg

leon-1

Mallow Man said:
So....we are meeting at a 3-star hotel and you are bringing edged 'tools'.
Marvellous. If you can turn up is full camo aswell we will not look out of place at all!
Mal
p.s. shall I get a release 'chit' from the local constabulary in advance?

Mal, it was a suggestion and there was the "if" statement in there, at the time no one else had made any suggestions and no one else had checked to see if the Well House was open.

Neil1 and I were talking about the White Hart today and saying that it was a fair suggestion because it is easier to get to than The Buckerell Lodge.

My suggestion is this, we meet at 3 PM in cathedral square outside the Well House as originally planned, then move onto wherever takes our fancy, some of us may meet on the train or at the train station, you never know.

This also means that anyone that has not been keeping up with the thread will not get to the Well House find it closed and nobody there to meet them :)

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
That sounds good.
The hotel was merely a suggestion, I have met with other bushcrafters before and know that bits of kit normally are handed around, people want to look at rucksacks or smocks and sometimes knives! I was giving people an option.
Neil

Mallow Man

Jul 10, 2004
Devon
Hey guys. I was just being flippant (one of my finer traits I am afraid) :rolmao:

I just saw the funny side of going kitted up into a 3-star hotel! I know it was a suggestion. Suggestion and ideas are good :)

Yup lets meet as per original. If anyone arrives late check out the obvious pubs in the area:

The Ship (down side passage of Clarence Hotel) - just off Cathedral Green
The White Hart (walk down right-hand side of the Cathedral - if you are facing the front of it - through the Church buildings, bear left, past the obvious medieval gate-house), round the right hand bend past Braaz (posh restaurant/bar) and onto a main road - diagonal opposite is the White Hart Hotel - has a public bar with fire and snugs (and full of aging alchies. If this does not take your fancy then a new Wetherspoons has just opened virtually opposite it in a converted Methodist Church (total distance from Cathedral Green 350 yards.
The Rectory (cafe restaurant) in the Cathedral (if open on a Sunday)

Can someone pin a small note to the tree opposite the Well House (nearest tree to it on the Cathedral Green telling latecomers where everyone has headed off to?

And...just ignore my humourous dig at ourselves in the earlier posting - it was unhelpful. But if you can't laugh at yourself sometimes then we all start to lose perspective on things. Without perspective we lack the ability to keep to the path...... :naughty:

MAL

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
Sorry everyone it doesn’t look like I’m going to be able to make it .The exhaust on my motor has just died and I’m still in Bristol. :cry:

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
A big thank you to those who got there :biggthump (Mal, Greg, Chris, leon), it was great to meet you all.
Probably won't be able to make the Widecoombe Meet (half trem! :cry: ), but I'll start putting an over-nighter together for another time soon. Hopefully this will be the start of many.
Neil

Mallow Man

Jul 10, 2004
Devon
Yup,

It was a good evening. Nice to see a bunch of people from very different walks of live passionate about the same thing. It was also good to see that everyone could learn from someone else no matter how little or much the experience. As middle-learner (so to speak) I picked up hints from young and old (not that anyone is old mind you!). :You_Rock_

Last night I heard wisdom on firestarting, I saw a wonderful, rare Fjallraven top and a stupendously beautiful Allen Blade (thanks Leon for bringing them along). I heard about future sub-artic circle expeditions, axes, opinel saws, jews ears, winter truffles, tinder fungus, types of wood, a lovely birch bowl (thanks Neil) army sleeping bags, frozen eye-balls, ticks, limes disease, gutting deer, cold campsites, the wonders of unpredictable Dartmoor, collectible bushcraft books, why everyone dislikes bill-hooks, ventile and why we all got involved in bushcraft - glad to see many are philosophical but pragmatic about it! I even got myself a mild hangover in the process! Thanks all who turned up

I think that another meet-up would be good. A series of overnighters would be a good idea and would be easier to set up. I also think Neil's idea of a room at the Buckerall lodge sometime in the future to look at kit would also be a good idea (apologies for my initial scepticism!). Next time - can we bring the knowledge of wild food with us so we have something to cook on the marvellous fires we will (hopefully) start. :eek:):

Cheers to all

Mark (MAL)

leon-1

Good to meet you all, I had a good day :biggthump

I would like to thank Greg for suggesting the meet in the first place, cheers. Arctic Hobo (Chris), good luck with the Norway trip, Mal you weren't the only one with the mild after effects in the morning :wink:

Next time hopefully we will all meet up on the moor or somewhere similair :wave:

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
I'd like to echo that, had a great time with you lot :biggthump
Neil I didn't realise that the 18th is half term :shock: hope the moor isn't overrun by families etc. :?: I'll be going anyway because I've already booked it off. What did I miss after I left? :wave:

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
No point in repeating what everyone else said but I will say it was a good night with excellent company. I would also say a few overnighters/meetings/walks in the wood etc would be in order at some point.

You didn't miss much, had a few more beers and went home!

Greg

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
The logo is my own design and is there to remind me of my relationship with the natural world, a partnership where my actions have an impact on the planet and vice-versa. I'm good to it -its good to me, hopefully :shock:
Neil

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE