Poncho shelters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

It's a 'modern' basha but this video from internet Etailer RVOPS gives some pointers..

I have a pair of their older black bivvy poles and they are very good indeed...

[video=youtube;kU6MNEEBbjI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU6MNEEBbjI[/video]

One way with a 58patt poncho is to use a single pole / stick or WHY inside the hood then secure the hood with the cordlock then bungie out the corners forming a sort of mini 'circus' tent affair...

Proffing a bit of the fibreglass pole from a 320 EGSA mast *might* have been useful for this.....:rolleyes:

LennyMac

Jun 10, 2010
Kenley, Surrey
Each time I hike, I use a poncho that would appear to be exactly the same as Wingstoo's and I have found them to be eminently suited to use as a shelter. Like Trekkingnut, I also use bungee cords- although I more often need to find a fence or farm wall as the South West Coast Path tends to lack the appropriate trees at crucial moments. I also carry an Australian hootchie and also a 6' X 6' plastic groundsheet. This way, I can peg the corners of the long side of the poncho, bungee cord around whatever vertical structures I have found, to make the lean- to. The I attach the hootchie to the bungee cords as a 'back wall', then place the 6' X 6' as a ground sheet. This gives me a quite spacious, triangular tube, which is quick and easy to set up and break down. I will try to find some pictures when I get home this evening.

At the end of August, I will be using webtex bivi poles, like in Wingstoo's photo, which ought to give me the flexibilty to pitch up on treeless flat ground.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Forgot I had this picture as well.

Norwegian_evening.jpg

Muddyhands

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2010
Wiltshire
Oh no, something else to add to the 'must buy' list. Loving the pictures guys, helps to show how versatile they can be (in the right hands)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
When I use a couple of walking poles with a poncho I stick the points into the ground and pulled the wrist straps through the big eyelets, and used 2 lenghts of cord (one each end) passing through the loop of the straps to peg it out in a V shape each end.

I think that makes sense?

When herself became whale sized when carrying the kids a 58 pat poncho was the only waterproof she could fit inside!

ATB

Tom

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I've still got my poncho from cadets years ago,it's not so water proof now, now holes as sutch, do you guys think the nikwax reproof would sort it out, the spray on stuff?

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
I dont get it. My tiny 2 man tent takes up just as much room in my bag as a poncho + 2 sticks. Dosnt the side wind knock your socks off at night?

Is it more about sleeping naturally than space saving? The places I camp would have me worried that the mosquito's would have a feast at night!

LennyMac

Jun 10, 2010
Kenley, Surrey
When I first stared hiking, it was probably a weight- and- space thing to use a hootchie. Nowadays, I guess that tents are certainly much more compact and lightweight and the bloke I hike with certainly doesn't have a problem with either factor. I find the biggest climactic issue is the rain- specifically, being woken up by it on my face when it starts after I have turned in.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE