Polish army tent - Lavvu on a budget ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'll check my tin tomorrow, but if it is, then surely the solvent is the carrier for the active ingredient and will evapourate off completely? I'm sure it must act in the same way as solvent based glues work, they carry the active ingredient to stop it setting and making it easier to apply then it evapourates off. I've used Thompsons waterseal for years on dpm's, tents and the like and I was around fires and stoves daily when I worked on my last big felling project and i never went up in a flash!:D

That would make sense WS, it's good to hear you've been using it on field kit without any dramas. Just thought I'd mention it incase somebody got fireballed.

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
I just used an MSS bivvi bag, a Eurohike self inflater and the patrol (jungle) sleeping bag.

Had a poncho liner at hand but just used that as a pillow TBH.

I was perfectly happy with that at the last meet.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I have yet another question regarding this tent, what are people going to be using to sleep in this tent? being exact. E.g im thinking, using an old DD 3x2 tarp as a ground sheet. ontop of which I am putting a Gelert single air matress (13 quid on ebay! + FREE P&P thats a bargain if you ask me, just thought id give you a heads up.) then ontop of that ill have in my sleeping bag a 3/4" foam mat, ontop of that mat a very thin double bed duvet, folded in half so that one half is below me the other ontop. Think i'll survive the cold ;) :D

EDIT:
Pic of airbed;

Gelert_Full_Single_Box_Flock_AirBed.jpg

link to item:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160360573979&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

B&M stores (my local one at least) are clearing them out at £6.99 got two last week for last weekends camp; they are just SO comfortable after using Thermarests for years.

javi

Forager
Nov 4, 2008
Hampton
Ditto!! After reading through this great thread I saw that I absolutely needed one and ordered it from the German gent via bushcraftsman's link. It arrived this morning after only 3 days wait so the supplier's done a sterling job.

Looking forward to trying it out soon and incorporating the tips that have been kindly contributed by the various posters. Looks like a very handy piece of kit, especially considering its cost - makes a nice ground-based alternative to my usual DD hammock/ Coccoon setup

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
Good idea Logit

So far, all I've done is:

Put some stitches through all the buttons. A bit 'belt and braces' I know and takes a little time, but it gives me a little peace of mind that they aren't coming loose anytime soon.

Waterproofed it (hopefully)

Cut down a groundsheet from an IPK kit to fit the sleeping half.

Replaced the pegs.

I'm out with mine for 3 nights next week (can't wait for some woods time!) so I'll probably have some more ideas then and maybe added some mods in the field.

Toying with the idea of an internal frame....

Let's keep the ideas flowing folks. Happy days.

tweeks i have in mind
1 re sew buttons i agree with you nolightweight might be belt n braces but i shall be mightily irked if i loose some.
2 i want to figure out some way of shutting the doorway flaps easier than buttoning all the buttons possibly velcro? if only to make it easier to open/shut when answering the mindnight call of nature.
3 some way of maybe having a little stove in it.
Sam

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
The button closure is an issue I'm looking at to make it less fiddly (especially if given to a drop or two around the fire...)

Velcro is good. Would you stitch it on or use some sort of adhesive? I think Tom (Barnowl) was going along those lines.

I have also considered the BCMP method for late night relief...

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
The first 3 are Bottle Clearly Marked. I think you can guess the last one.

It would take quite some stitching (my needle work makes Herr Doktor Frankenstein look like a seamstress) so adhesive might be the way.

I'm going to try a 'lacing' system/method when I get out with it next week. If it works as a trial I'll post it up.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
The first 3 are Bottle Clearly Marked. I think you can guess the last one.

It would take quite some stitching (my needle work makes Herr Doktor Frankenstein look like a seamstress) so adhesive might be the way.

I'm going to try a 'lacing' system/method when I get out with it next week. If it works as a trial I'll post it up.

Im thinking zip :D

basha

Forager
Aug 9, 2006
kent
I mentioned this on an earlier post ; 'I only used one of the new loops to pull the entrance flap across to the other half; I didn’t bother buttoning it up and it was fine; it didn’t leak'.

i.e I've fitted shock cord loops to all the metal eyelets at the bottom of the shelter and then used two pegs at the entrance, this then secures each of the two edges against each other.

Reactions: Tigger004

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE