Polish army tent - Lavvu on a budget ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
Bought mine from eBay too, (UK site, £19.99 so a little more expensive than some) but really pleased when it arrived!
Seems as new, claimed to be unissued and halves were dated '82 and '86!
Really good matched dark olive colour. I've used far worse canvas tents in my time and this looks excellent quality for the price. Can't wait to use it in a week or so! Hopefully I'll machine sew the arm flaps shut and sort out shock cords for guys and maybe door closure? The pegs are strange with a curve to them but I think I'll try them as is, they would appear to use a "cantilever" action to hold better. Already green duct taped the poles which deadens the brightness. Any other suggestions?:approve:

Nowhere near the size of my Hex3 though, good for 1, 1.5 or 2 at a pinch!

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
Got a fresh link to an eBay seller MikeE?

They are well built kit. They have never been issued in my opinion, certainly the ones that we are receiving now as released surplus. One half of mine still had a card label on!

Don't know about other folk but the oldest date on mine was 1976. You've got an '82 and '86 so logically they were manufactuing this kit for 10 years or more; and unissued so on a QM's shelf and stored for that time.

Warsaw Pact, cold war kit. Tough as possible, simples as possible.

You can mod this gear as much or as little as you want. I really like mine a lot.

Woods time in a few days and I'm looking forward to it with this kit.

Happy days with the thoughts and ideas folks. Nice one.

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
eBay item number is 220494764727. I placed a bid of £19.99 and won, there is postage on top though, unfortunately. Still happy with cost and quality though. The supplier had more than one though!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
That's it, I give up..... I've gone and bought one :rolleyes: Just have to wait for it to be delivered now and figure out a good excuse for the wife as to why I needed it. I think the best one so far is it's all Shewies fault :D :lmao:

The guy has got 9 more for those at are interested. Here's the link. He is going to be wondering why so many are being bought by folks from england all of a sudden.

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
they are going fast.......

I might have missed it in the discussions, but has anyone thought about using a small firebox to heat the lavvu?

There are one or two folk on here that have been looking at that option.
Any updates guys?

I am as well and been on the lookout for suitable 'bits' ;-)

I'm saving my decision for after the next meet when I've had a few more nights in it.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
How about a honey stove ( or similer ) with a reflector in the door way that would give some heat and light into the tent.
PA080119.jpg

Twodogs

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
How about a honey stove ( or similer ) with a reflector in the door way that would give some heat and light into the tent.
Twodogs

I was thinking along those lines as well.

It wouldn't take much to heat it up and honey stoves do punch out a fair bit of heat. Only disadvantage is have to feed it continually

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
I'm wondering how long I'm going to hold out before I end up buying one.

A bit of lateral thinking...
If your using it car camping why not have a stove outside and feed a chimney through the arm holes, wrapping some fire blanket around the chimney where it goes through. This will provide heat by convection and radiation without having the worry of carbonmonoxide build up inside, after all a small volume teppee shouldn't require too much heat anyway.
You could always lag the chimney from stove to entry hole, with spare fireblanket, even the firebox itself to a great extent. Then you just need the stove ticking over, depending on the size of stove you may only need to refuel it every few hours.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I was thinking along those lines as well.

It wouldn't take much to heat it up and honey stoves do punch out a fair bit of heat. Only disadvantage is have to feed it continually

I'm going to try my hurricane lamp first as it kicks out a good bit of heat on the sly, I was toying with maybe bbq charcoal bricks or coal for the honey stove. Probably wouldn't take as much tending that way.

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
I like the Honey stove idea.

Going to dig about and try a few things at the meet this week and post what works well on here.

Good ideas though folks. Nice one.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Do you need to heat these little tents in UK temps? I use a gas or paraffin lantern in my Hex and they through out enough heat to take off the chill.

I won't use charcoal, after Hurricane Katrina a good few people died after using charcoal indoors during power failures.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
finally bit the bullet and told the mrs about the tent that was packed in a box in the shed, so have been able to have a proper look at it, the two halves are dated 1980 and 1985.

not yet had a chance to put it up, will rectify that next weekend, but have noticed that one of the buttons is broken - not really a major problem though as i'm sure a spare can be 'found' from an old pair of combats (assuming the Mrs hasn't thrown them away already!)

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I let the word Tent slip the other day. Mine was hiding too :D

"Tent...Tent...What tent :argue: :sulkoff:

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
i find it's best to be up front and honest with the misses and when she say's no just keep wearing her down every day...can i have a new tent,can i have a new tent,can i have a new tent,can i have a new tent,can i have a new tent :D mines on it's way :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE