Polish army tent - Lavvu on a budget ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
As offered, I’ve been getting a few things on camera regarding these shelters.

Hope this helps the folks out there; any questions though just ask away.

The question arose about weight

PA120159.jpg

If it isn’t clear on the picture it’s reading 3.6 kilos all up weight.

In the flesh it doesn’t feel that bad to be honest.

Here’s how to fit the halves together; ‘sandwiching’ one half between the other

PA120145.jpg

PA120148.jpg

I’ve fully buttoned one half to the other fully along one side; 3 buttons down on the ‘entrance’.
Works well that way for packing, erecting etc.

How the apex should look

PA120149.jpg

PA120150.jpg

How I set mine up is to peg out 3 points (it should be clear from the pictures which ones) ‘loosely’ while it is on the deck. As in just enough tension that it should stay upright whilst you peg the rest out

PA120152.jpg

PA120151.jpg

Once you peg the rest out the first 3 can be adjusted to suit

PA120155.jpg

A couple of minutes and you are good to go

The question was raised about pack down size. I’ve had a bit of a mess about and regularly got it 17 to 18 inches long by 6 or 7 inches rolled (canvas only)

This is the whole lot; canvas pegs and poles in a couple of different carriers

Arktis Side Pocket

PA120158.jpg

PLCE Side Pocket (on a 40 ltr patrol pack)
PA120160.jpg

And strapped to the radio shelf on an Alice frame

PA120161.jpg

The bag or cover that I’ve used there is just a PLCE side pocket liner. The whole lot fits perfect in there and they are really cheap to buy.

Simples.

Hope that helps folks.

Cheers for reading.

Neil

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
As offered, I’ve been getting a few things on camera regarding these shelters.

Hope this helps the folks out there; any questions though just ask away.

Hope that helps folks.

Cheers for reading.

Neil

Very useful Neil, thanks for taking the time to put it together fella.

Still not had mine out for a play yet

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Thanks for the photos Nolightweight, i like the look of the bag you have yours in, will have to have a bit of a search, as it could be a less expensive option than making one myself.

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
I got a couple a while back for not much dollar at all. Have a dig about.

I've moved away from PLCE a bit now so it was a quick and easy thing to have at hand for the review.

Works well though. I'll give it a go and see how it works out.

End of the day the whole lot will fit in a cut down trouser leg from a pair of old combats with a bit of modding. Simples.

Cheers for the positive comments though folks. Glad it helped.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
End of the day the whole lot will fit in a cut down trouser leg from a pair of old combats with a bit of modding. Simples.

Cracking bags those, inkeeping with the old canvas too.:cool:

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
I got a couple a while back for not much dollar at all. Have a dig about.

I've moved away from PLCE a bit now so it was a quick and easy thing to have at hand for the review.

Works well though. I'll give it a go and see how it works out.

Managed to find some pouch liners on ebay, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ARMY-SURPLUS-...ash=item2ea6eb87f0&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262 and as you say not very expensive at all

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I have another question (sorry Sam :))

Thompsons Water seal is naptha based I think, naptha being petroleum right ??

The reason I got the canvas shelter was so I could get a fire nice and close in winter, saturating it in a petrol based solution sounds like asking for trouble to me. I semi-witnessed a pair of permethrin soaked overalls spectacularly combust from a stray spark and it kind of got me thinking.

Just thought I'd mention it before something nasty happened that's all.

What do folk reckon ?

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
Can't answer for Thompsons Waterseal as I haven't seen what's written on the tin.

I used Fabsil which has been used for years and specifically for tents and the like.

Good sense, good drills and not allowing the 'stupid, sloppy, senseless' factor into your camp should do the job.

As for the white ash landing on Jordans set up (see his thread) it happens to my kit all the time and I used to be under a nylon basha.

Just my opinion. Let good sense, skills and drills keep you safe.

Neil.

I have another question (sorry Sam :))

Thompsons Water seal is naptha based I think, naptha being petroleum right ??

The reason I got the canvas shelter was so I could get a fire nice and close in winter, saturating it in a petrol based solution sounds like asking for trouble to me. I semi-witnessed a pair of permethrin soaked overalls spectacularly combust from a stray spark and it kind of got me thinking.

Just thought I'd mention it before something nasty happened that's all.

What do folk reckon ?

I'll check my tin tomorrow, but if it is, then surely the solvent is the carrier for the active ingredient and will evapourate off completely? I'm sure it must act in the same way as solvent based glues work, they carry the active ingredient to stop it setting and making it easier to apply then it evapourates off. I've used Thompsons waterseal for years on dpm's, tents and the like and I was around fires and stoves daily when I worked on my last big felling project and i never went up in a flash!:D

Put it this way I'm not inpressed by the commercial camping shop alternatives, overpirced and overrated and they see folk coming a mile a off to pay those daft prices! :rolleyes:

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
Horses for courses.

I went for Fabsil because I didn't happen to think about Waterseal at the time. I have, however, used Fabsil for years with no problems.

As long as the person using the kit stays dry; I can't see that it matters.

Personal choice.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
I have yet another question regarding this tent, what are people going to be using to sleep in this tent? being exact. E.g im thinking, using an old DD 3x2 tarp as a ground sheet. ontop of which I am putting a Gelert single air matress (13 quid on ebay! + FREE P&P thats a bargain if you ask me, just thought id give you a heads up.) then ontop of that ill have in my sleeping bag a 3/4" foam mat, ontop of that mat a very thin double bed duvet, folded in half so that one half is below me the other ontop. Think i'll survive the cold ;) :D

EDIT:
Pic of airbed;

Gelert_Full_Single_Box_Flock_AirBed.jpg

link to item:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160360573979&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE