Polish army tent - Lavvu on a budget ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Has anyone managed to squeeze a Fat Airic in one yet ?

:rolleyes:

I can see this is another thread thats going to bug me. So would these be big enough to have a yukon type fire in or are we talking human fireballs!!

And if they are big enough is Thompsons water seal flammable!!

I cant buy one of these I already skating on thin ice......:twak:

EDIT: Rich if end up buying one of these I think the wife will lynch you when she sees you next....

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
I was thinking the same thing, so I did! :D I went down to the textiles department at school and stole a load of old canvas:approve: :buttkick: When I go back on Monday ill see if I can bag some more for you mate :D

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Cheers Bushcraftsman, sounds like a plan to me :) spent ages searching the web for some last night, but couldn't find what i was looking for!

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
I can't promise it will be good stuff, the material is SIMILAR to that of cases the poles go in...but not the same. It's just all old rags that they don't want really. Never the less, I'll have a look for you :)

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
I can't promise it will be good stuff, the material is SIMILAR to that of cases the poles go in...but not the same. It's just all old rags that they don't want really. Never the less, I'll have a look for you :)

As long as I can make something that will keep the tent together, and not look too out of place I'll be happy:)

Going out to the woods today to give it it's first run in woodland and not just my back garden :D cant wait!!!!!!

hope you have a fun trip

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
Would folk be interested on a 'mini tutorial' on this kit?

Got mine in two halves at the moment post waterproofing. If people are interested I can maybe do one tomorrow from set up to pack down. Now I've got the hang of it (and got the hang of photobucket) it shouldn't be a problem.

Up to you guys because I'll be doing it anyway. Just gauging interest.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

Got mine in two halves at the moment post waterproofing. If people are interested I can maybe do one tomorrow from set up to pack down. Now I've got the hang of it (and got the hang of photobucket) it shouldn't be a problem.

Can do for me Neil, I imagine it's not rocket science anyway but it'll still be good to see.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Shewie said:
Take some pics please Jordan, the process of setting it up would be good ;)

Sorry Rich, I had already left before I had chance to read your post. Otherwise I would have.

everyone, if you want to see my day out:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=590113#post590113

Nolightweight...thats a good idea, I was thinking of doing something like that but...i'll let you do the hard work :p :puppy_dog

basha

Forager
Aug 9, 2006
kent
I set mine up during the week when it rained quite heavily; one half was fine the other half started to soak up water; firstly in the stitching and then generally looking a bit wet all over on one half only; this eventually lead to a few drips. However I was keen to give the ‘new’ shelter a proper try and take it away this weekend.

I decided to try and ‘weather’ it to give it a chance to self-seal. In the few days I had left prior to my trip I made up some shock-cord loops for the eyelets and made up a simple ‘A’ frame to make it more roomy (I was going to a Field Archery shoot by car so didn’t mind the extra gear).

I made a simple loop from the apex of the ‘A’ frame and with a mini carabiner suspended the netting from a DD Travel hammock. I also scratched around and found a cheap thin plastic tarpaulin to act as a ground sheet for the remaining floor area.

I’ve just got home from my weekend away and here is how it went;

It rained Friday night and one side was still leaking; I used my poncho to cover my sleeping bag from the few drips that came in.

The ‘A’ frame certainly made the space more usable, but unless I can get some cheap telescopic poles (or use some suitable branches) I don’t think I’ll be carrying them. A standard walking pole works fine as a centre pole but will not be long/strong enough for part of an ‘A’ frame (you need poles approximately 1.95m/ 77” for this). It would be simple enough to make a loop to suspend it from a suitable branch if the opportunity arose.

The Travel hammock in ground-mode was fine (although not fully opened up in the confines of this shelter) and should have kept any unwanted wildlife away from my sleeping area.

I only used one of the new loops to pull the entrance flap across to the other half; I didn’t bother buttoning it up and it was fine; it didn’t leak.

Although my set up looked a bit ramshackle inside it worked well and I’m pleased with it.
I think this shelter is very adaptable. My next task is to proof the leaking half.
Sorry no photos.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire

count me in on that, would be more than interested to see how it goes up before i get to try mine out

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE