Polish army tent - Lavvu on a budget ?

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Ok then thanks, don't really fancy having a cramped night sleep; ill just stick to using it alone.

Twodogs...is there any way you could get another one for £24? I'd be very interested in this..

Cheers

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nolightweight....Do you think that if you were to suspend the top of the lavuu between two trees thus eliminating the need for the pole, there would be enough room for two? or would it be a squeeze?

Cheers

I got mine through today but I don't have a lawn so I've not set it up yet :rolleyes:

I did get some paperwork with mine though, it mentions that the "Zeltbahn" is a rain cape that doubles as half a tent. Therefore two soldiers can make themselves a two man tent, but only have to carry half the load. Two canvas halves and two packs of half height poles.

I reckon there's going to be plenty of room in them if they're made to cope with two squaddies plus gear.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I used it last night in the pouring rain on an overnighter and I haven't proofed it yet.

No leaks,just the usual ingress if you touch the sides.
Pegs that come with it are rubbish,these need replaced.

I'm happy with it.
Need to mod the entrance to allow quick entry and egress though.
I'll be proofing it when dry.

Gill suggested a tin of water seal so I'll try that.

Tom.

nolightweight

Native
Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
I got mine through today but I don't have a lawn so I've not set it up yet :rolleyes:

I did get some paperwork with mine though, it mentions that the "Zeltbahn" is a rain cape that doubles as half a tent. Therefore two soldiers can make themselves a two man tent, but only have to carry half the load. Two canvas halves and two packs of half height poles.

I reckon there's going to be plenty of room in them if they're made to cope with two squaddies plus gear.

I'd be interested what paperwork you got with yours Shewie.

Two 'squaddies' plus gear is two squaddies plus gear in late '70's terms. Very simplistic and often out dated kit in the Eastern Bloc back in the day. Very well made in some cases but lacks the ergonomics of modern kit. Stacks of room for one plus kit by todays standard though.

As Barnowl said; good kit. I'm very happy and changing very little.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'd be interested what paperwork you got with yours Shewie.

It's just what looks like a photocopy of a hand written note. The English isn't very good but you get the just of it.

It also says the poles can sometimes be too long ? Have you found this Neil ?
I presume it's if the two halves have been used/stored differently, maybe if one was to shrink a little ?

nolightweight

Native
Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
Hi Rich.

Nof found that at all so far.

My halves are dated 1976 and '78. They both fit very well (I've attached both together completely along one side and 3 buttons down the other) and everything tucks in very nicely and very securely.

Not sure how/where these things might have been stored but apart from maybe slight discolouration due to storage they have never been issued. One half of mine still had the makers paper label!

The poles are aluminium and very light. One fits to the other to the other etc. Extremely simples.

HTH

Neil

basha

Forager
Aug 9, 2006
kent
I’ve just got one! First impressions are that it is a good thick cotton/canvas material and well made.

If I didn’t know otherwise I would have believed it if someone had told me it had been project designed by BCUK members.

The pegs as stated earlier are a bit lightweight but they would serve the purpose (just about) but I will replace them.

I have just put it up; pretty simple and very solid. There’s a good breeze going at the moment and the ‘tent’ barely has its canvas moving. It looks like it may rain soon so I’ll get a chance to rain test it too.

Initial thoughts; could use a walking pole in lieu of the aluminium poles supplied?

Make up a ground sheet and use/make a mosquito net for an inner…..I’ll try the DD camping hammock (in ground mode).

Er…one half would make a pretty good poncho..:eek:

nolightweight

Native
Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
Last weekend I used the MSS bivvi, patrol bag and a Eurohike inflating mat. No problems. Very comfy.

I folded my usual groundsheet (which is only the sheet from an IPK kit) last time but have since cut that down and to shape to fit half the tent (sleeping half) It should work well and cheap as frytki.
It's more for protecting the mat and bivvi than anything else really.

Work on it folks. Once you've got it sussed and got the drills down for how you store your kit and sleep system it should be happy days.

Neil

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I know I've asked this already but it got missed...Surely it will be very cold in there due to there being no ground sheet?

Use one half for sleeping with bivi bag and as stated thermarest or the like,use one of those waterproof picnic blankets on the other and you're pretty much sorted.

I have a Bison tinde with a groundsheet. the groundsheet is almost the same material as the IPK sheet. As an example of how versatile they are (IPK sheets), last winter I roofed my hut with one after the felt ripped and I needed an emergency repair. It's still on and hasn't degraded with uv yet, it's very tough stuff and would make an ideal groundsheet for one of these tents. (you can even sew the stuff with a sewing machine!).

WS

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE