Polish army tent - Lavvu on a budget ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
Nah, doesn't do it for me.
I've slept in a Lavvu in the Arctic and can see how it works there, I don't see the need for one in the UK.
It's a nice idea and all that, but comes across as a bit gimmicky.

Not sure what you think is "gimmicky", Lavvus or tents without floors. Both have been around for millennia. Lavvus are about as well suited to their environment as they can be, and tents without floors have many advantages over those that do.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
ah I see, is there anyone that would be able to organise this? Also just incase there is shall we make a list of people who are interested? just copy and paste the list:

People who are interested
-Bushcraftsman
-

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
i think they are very good for the £30 or so , what is not worth the money is the tentipi canvas tents, i have had one ,and although i find them very well made , i would not pesonally spend that money on a tent again.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
How much are they? I didn't know what they were till i googled tentipi, they look like the real deal and look really good. why didnt you like it?

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
How much are they? I didn't know what they were till i googled tentipi, they look like the real deal and look really good. why didnt you like it?

the one i had was over a grand :eek: if i remember right.they are very good but not worth that kind of money to me now. i got the polish tipi thingy off ebay i got it for £34 .

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
:eek: jeez that's a lot of money for a tent! yes I know what you mean, it's going to have to be something pretty special for it to be worth that much!

And ok nice one, I read in a previous post you haven't used it yet, but have you had it set up in the garden or something for a play around :p if so...what do you think of it? and do you think it's worth it

German folding mat is 190cm long.

If You want I can ask seller how much would shipping to UK cost and let you know.

Please :puppy_dog

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Not sure what you think is "gimmicky", Lavvus or tents without floors. Both have been around for millennia. Lavvus are about as well suited to their environment as they can be, and tents without floors have many advantages over those that do.

Yep, they've been around for donkeys, always been there.
An Egay advert is a perfect trap for a kit junky though - see a picture of something and 'monkey see, monkey want' - that's what I'm getting at with the gimmick thing. £40 odd for something that only costs £10 normally.
Besides, it's not a true Laavu because Laavu construction consists of several poles on the perimeter with the canvas wrapped around and a seperate cowl for enabling smoke extraction from an internal fire. This example is a bit of cloth propped up with a stick.

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've just ordered a couple from this link £36.74 for the pair including P&P.
So at about £18.50 each it's less than half the original UK ebay price

Thanks for the heads up Twodogs.

Let you know if they turn up :rolleyes:

Is that for two tents or two ponchos to make one tent ?

I'm gonna feel a right numpty if these turn out to be a load of carp.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
I know Neil ( Nolightweight ) has one on the go down the valley this weekend and will post on his return ,
He sent me this piccy on Fritag ,

Image000.jpg

Twodogs

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
My interpretation was that i have bought two tents, Though I don't spraken much German.;)

They appear to comprise (as you can see on the link) of the two halves, pole and pegs, per tent.

Keep you informed of delivery time and post some pics and a review when they arrive

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
Mornin' all.

As Twodogs posted. Just had three nights out in one of these over at SV.

I can honestly say that I really like this bit of kit.

It's not as heavy as you think. As for age; one half is 1976 dated, the other 1978. Never used, but obviously stored from that date.

The Modular Sleep System fits in perfect and I am quite a big guy. Plenty of room for kit also. No problems.

Goes together easy, and is easy to set up, using the poles provided. Simples.

Weather was fine, but as usual quite breezy/windy and chilly late night/early morning. In this, I never felt it.

I'm very happy with it. Got a couple of things to do on it but it's what I'll be taking to every meet over the Autumn/Winter.

Over to you folks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE