Polish army tent - Lavvu on a budget ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
That wouldn't work Alex as they are round, not oblong with bell ends :eek: You would then need an extra pole and TBH it would be just like a large US pup tent then...which obviously are already out there.

Last edited:

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I'd better start by saying I've not actually seen one of these lavvu's in the flesh, but I've been thinking about simple ways to extend them, as some people have said they're a bit small.

I reckon instead of trying to add fabric to the bottom the easiiest way would be to add a simple rectangle of tarp in the middle. I've seen, but can't find it a picture of of half a lavvu set up, so they'll obviously stand up like that.

The tarp would need buttons/holes to attach it, but that shouldn't be too hard to do. You'd button in one side completely and use the other side as a door. You could use a couple more poles or paddles or paracord to trees/landies/bystanders to support the loose flap and which would give a useful covered porch which could be open to your fire.

Here's a very rough MSPaint sketch which probably explains it all better.

4486212511_d81d32031f_o.jpg

i understand what you mean, you would in effect split the shelter in half along its pre existing button bits, move them apart and add a rectangle to fill the new void. basically just widening it.

looking at the tent from a birdseye view it goes from being round to oblong with rounded ends.

that would work, but would be quite a bit of fabrication and prob cost for decent fabric, but it would work.

perhaps a laavu and butchering a pup tent to do that would work.

an easier way to do it would be to pitch the 2 halves seperately (would need to source some more poles) so that you have 2 carp fishing style shelter,place them opposite each other about 2 metres apart then use a tarp to cover the gap. you could peg the tarp down at the base at the back, bring it up over the top of the 2 tents where the poles go, then straight out in front to form a porch. you would have to rig up some form of ridgeline though, but that could simply be a bit of paracord between the 2 poles (just to prevent the tarp sagging and pooling water) or a more substantial setup with another form of pole.

at this point though i would have thought its going to need guylines adding in for stability, especially if the poles are taking the weight of a tarp with ridgeline, they would need guys to keep them upright

Last edited:

Alexlebrit

Tenderfoot
Dec 22, 2009
France
Yeah that's the idea, erect the two halves separately, and cover the middle bit with tarp. Shouldn't be that expensive, one extra pole and a bit of tarp, it wouldn't have to be the same material as the rest of the lavvu.

Then it's just sewing on buttons and making buttonholes - I know my mum's sewing machine will do those automatically.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
with the tarp method, you might not have to do that if you ran some guylines out to keep it taught, it should shed water.

when i can try it out i might experiment with my laavu and tarp to see if i can get something workable. wont be for a while though.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
That could work. If you have some canvas material then just make a tarp with buttons down the sides and either use basha poles or a ridgeline I think thats a great idea. :)

Jun 17, 2010
Hannover
Hi! I found your board searching for the polish lavvu. I want to buy it here, but there are different statements about the size. On the first page of this thread, Traper said that it is at most 180cm diameter. Somebody in another board told me, that he has plenty space and is about 185cm tall (bought it at the linked page).

Sadly I'm about 2m tall. Can I sleep in the (unmodified) lavvu without getting a wet head an feet? I made a sketch, the blue rectangle has a size of 60x210cm and fits passably, but just when the description of the diameter is right.

I'm looking forward to some answers. :)

%edit
Oh and with shipping costs to GB it would be ~ £25 for one, ~ £20 when ordering two.

Last edited:

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Hi and welcome Blackris. 2.5m may be about right. I'm only 175cm and don't fill the length, BUT the angles at the bottom are very acute and you might end up with canvas on your feet and face- not good if it's raining. Unless you sleep curled up I would give it a miss. At 2m you are quite tall!

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Interesting, this. I bought another one from a guy in Poland - see ebay no 170490469683. Actually was looking for a poncho, but saw this and thought - might as well get two ponchos! Got it for 12.50, plus 8pounds postage. as well as tent, got two polish army bags - each big enough to put in a Swiss Army volcano cooker, water bottle, fuel etc etc - and two neckovers! All items brand new.

Apart from gloating about value for money, I raised this because the ad also mentioned that the ponchos come in three sizes - which might explain how the size of the tents seem to vary. I don't know if the ebay link above works, but there were some interesting photos of possible configurations too.

Actually, he isn't advertising on ebay at present, but his email address is orccape@gmail.com - no connection other than satisfied customer etc etc.

Last edited:

madra

Oct 6, 2008
the intarweb
...I bought another one from a guy in Poland .... Got it for 12.50, plus 8pounds postage...

same dude is now selling them for £9,90/£6,90/£4,90 [for sizes L/M/S]. however he's doubled the postage charge to £16.

did yours turn up OK?

this thread is like crack - it seems like everyone who reads it ends up buying one themselves!

Aug 6, 2010
Norfolk
Thanks for all the info on these incredible tents. I picked one up from Essex Surplus in Chelmsford last weekend and camped out down that way. I was impressed at how cosy the tent was!

T

tylkogosc

Hi Folks! just want to share some info about Polish "Pałatka" or "Peleryna" as we call it.I'm suprised so many ppl like it,it's havy,huge and sometimes soak,(if happends We've use ipregnat in spray,and then works fine)anyway
in army it comes in 3 sizes depends on soldier height.they are two colors -green one for land forces and black (which is more grey) for AA defence.
ther is also special version of it called PZW (Peleryna Zwiadowcy-Recon Shelter) made of rubber with camo print on it,which can be use as NBC protection,rain shelter (poncho), small boat (ponton),and tent. here is example http://allegro.pl/item1086639460_pzw_peleryna_zwiadowcy_ponton_jednoosobowy.html
sorry for my English:)
forget to mention-its easy to warm it inside when use small candle/lighter

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 6, 2010
Norfolk
Hello tylkogosc, that boat palatka is incredible!! Just wondering which way out the Polish army pitch these tents as I can't seem to make up my mind. Thanks for the link

T

tylkogosc

PZW (boat Palatka)comes in two sizes and is much more heavy than normal palatka. soldiers carry it in bag (its still in use in some recon units) on back of Yoke .complete PZW had attached rubber glowes used as paddle.regards

NathanG

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2007
Southend On Sea
essex army surplus have them for £20 in their shop, i thimk they have an outlet in luton as well. but beware that my pole was broken when i got home.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE