Polish army tent - Lavvu on a budget ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bailout

Jul 17, 2008
devon
These look interesting but fortunately I don't need one at the moment so am not tempted to spend money;)

I did buy one of the Argos 2-man tipis last year as a cheap way of trying a tipi style. I liked it but did find it a bit small. Lots of space in terms of area but the sloping walls meant that head and foot were close to touching the tent. The argos tipi had an extra bit of material round the bottom that was like a snow skirt. By putting a tin can under the pole and allowing the skirt to extend the walls I was able to pitch it about 4 inches higher. This made a big difference to the internal space and meant I wasn't in danger of touching the sides when sleeping.

I notice that people on this thread have said that the polich tent is a bit small. A simple mod would be to sew and strip of material round the bottom edge and use a longer pole and turn it into a mini bell tent. Also going back to the argos tipi, it has guys coming of the seams a couple of foot up. Pegging these out not just backs it stronger and reduces wind flap but again by pulling out the wall a bit increases internal space.

Looking at the photos of the polish tents it looks like with a couple of simple mods they could be improved and turned into a nice base tent.

Rumcajs

Forager
Nov 13, 2009
Kielce, PL
www.jbohac.net
To all guys who asked me to buy Polish army tents, I just ordered them today. As requested they are large size in dark green. I have manage to get them with 3 section centre pole which are slightly shorter than 2 sections one and believe would be easier to pack.
I’ll be back in London on 30th. Can start sending them away very same day as long as I have all addresses.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
After missing each other at Xmas time for payment and delivery details, and then some messing about on behalf of Royal Mail, the tent was delivered today (a sunday) after I had a whinge up at them.

It's brill. I did the usual thing and put it up first the obvious way (which is wrong) with the pocket buttons on the inside (Doh!) My halves are dated 1976 and 1984, one with the stock label still attached. It has the 3 section poles which do the job nicely but a walking pole does too.

It's now weathering in the garden and will be weatherproofed in a few days time. Just posting really to say a big thanks to Jambowl goodjob :You_Rock_

Spikey DaPikey

Feb 8, 2006
North West, near the land of the Pies
Thanks to Jambowl as well :You_Rock_

Used mine this weekend gone, and it was just right for me and my kit ! Damn its dark inside LOL ! Great for sleeping in the day :)

Mine has the three section poles as well, and does pack nice and small. Its also a warm tent with a candle lantern.

I also thought of getting some extra fabric and making a mini bell tent, but as i'm a lazy bugger, it'll most likely never happen :eek:

Cheers :)

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Just watersealed mine. As per everything in the 80s quality went downhill! The 70s side I had a job to do it as the waterseal just beaded off without some vigorous scrubbing but on the 80s side in went straight in!

Seems the former Eastern Bloc had quality control problems in the 80s as well!

glyn77

Tenderfoot
Nov 29, 2009
Salford
aah, I was just about to ask about waterproofing before i dropped the cash on nikwax (or whatever).

What waterproofing agents, and how much of them, did you chaps use?

Cheers,
Glyn.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Has anyone yet ( I really need to get one.. ) extended the dimensions of this Tent by purchasing an extra one and extending the 'skirt' (?!) of the tent? So that would increase the foot print size inside?

Just wondering if anyone has done that yet?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I'm not sure the geometry of that would work out i.e you would need extra height as well as extra girth.

Yes , you would , but as it only a pole ( as far as i'm aware ) or a tripod , it shouldn't make a difference should it? If you extend a cone shape , the angle remain the same while the base size increases?

So longer, poles or tripod = Bigger tent.

Or am i missing something?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE