Poaching

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Chill guys, this incident happened decades ago when little was known about the effects on the environment and when some communities had to poach to put food on he table. Take the story for what it is... a charming piece of history and quite amusing. No need to insult the posters heritage and kids, that is bang out of order.

Last edited:

ananix

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2010
Denmark
Chill guys, this incident happened decades ago when little was known about the effects on the environment and when some communities had to poach to put food on he table. Take the story for what it is... a charming piece of history and quite amusing. No need to insult the posters heritage and kids, that is bang out of order.

Living by a lake poluted by lead and growing up on land poluted by lead i find it by no means amusing! If people glorify past stupidty i feel im totaly in my right to state the consequenses of their glorification but as i understood the poster he was a kid and i understand that the poster might have learnt otherwise sadly others havent which i think makes my post accebtle. I have no problem stating my ansesters did stupid things that altered the world to the piece of trash it is now and i hate them for it just as much as i hate your parents for the same, but i try to learn from their mistakes so i my kids wont be condemed to relive it.
Sorry if it was to personal.
My parents must hate me to for all they have done to the planet! and im not having kids for that reason as i dont hate them :)

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The poster wasn't condoning the use of dynamite or lead. If you actually read his post again, they did not actually use lead anyway. It is terrible that our streams and rivers and canals are polluted by lead fishing weights and other items, but the post was there to convey an amusing tale nevertheless and was not posted to condone the use of or the actions therein. A personal attck on him and his family was uncalled for, but maybe something was lost in translation as your above post reads that you hate my parents for screwing the world up too. Unfortunately we are not learning, and we continue to screw up our environment everyday in out daily lives and use of vehicles far more than a rural father years ago, poaching once with dynamite. A level of perspective is needed here, and we need to take these stories of yesteryear as the quaint and often amusing anecdotes that they are meant to be. I'm sure no one here would condone those actions, but in the time and context, it is a story worth telling.

St

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Hi Tricia,
You mentioned Helmsdale, Tricia, so I took the liberty of looking at your profile, which says Highlands but that just makes me more curious as to whether or not you still live in the Helmsdale area.

I find it odd that your post brought such a flood of memories and emotions; ie, My own father's stories of virtually living on Loch Leven in the 30's depression, initially intended to remove one mouth for his mother to feed but which became an essential source of food for the family and the neighbouring elderly and children. He lived on the loch for 2 years before going off to work on the Hydro schemes. Aged 16, the experience marked him as a fighter against hunger, need and inequality for the rest of his life:

A thought that leapt to mind almost simultaneously was someone from up your way, Neill M Gunn, and his novel "Highland River" and the haunting allegory of memory being like a poaching trip where the hunt is more important than the quarry. Understandably so when you consider that his family were victims of the Sutherland's brutality during the clearance of their ancestral homeland, Strathnaver, I believe.
For him, a by-gone, mythical age, although within living memory.

The Foreword to "Highland River", written to his brother in Flanders during WWI,

Dear John,
This can hardly be the description of our Highland River that you anticipated when, lying on our backs in a green strath, we idly talked the idea over. Certainly it is not the description I anticipated myself. Some ancestral instinct, at first glimpse of the river, must have taken control and set me off on a queerer hunt than we have yet tackled. Or am I now trying to cover up the spoor? You will early recognise that though there is no individual biography here, every incident may have had its double. Some of the characters seem to have strayed in from Morning Tide under different names. I cannot explain this odd behaviour - apart from the old desire to be in on the hunt in any disguise. However, if only I could get you to see the hunt as a poaching expedition to the source of delight we got from a northern river, I feel that you might not be altogether disappointed should you come back (as we have so often done in our time) with an empty bag.
With brotherly affection,
Neil.

You've probably read Gunn's work but if not I'd recommend it as a tonic.

A far cry from shooting from a 4X4 or a can of Cymag in the river!

Thanks again Tricia.

Last edited:

sirex

Forager
Nov 20, 2008
bournemouth
this thread rings true to me greatly. My granddad did a small amount of poaching but strictly for food in war / hard times. I don't agree with it, but i can understand.

In contrast, a few months back we had a car of what were basically kids pull up on a nearby lane, get out and start using lights and catapults to just shred any birds they could find in the trees, stomping about in the woods picking up a few birds and leaving injured ones left right and center.

It's just not what it used to be.

ledders666

Jun 6, 2010
bath
Its very true nowdays its generally kill and take as much as you can which isnt poaching its stealing. I do some myself and do it as decribed here the old fashioned way, the other day a left a night line in the river with a single hook on it, and took one fish for tea. Back in the winter i went ferreting and took two rabbits then took the nets dow nand let everything else go whilst i sat and waited for my ferret to come back. So its not completely lost poaching the old way, and im only 21 and self taught.
Josh

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
I fully agree with the original post.

I am not afraid to admit that I poach sometimes. I will not go into details, but most hunters back home do or have done. It is kind of an accepted thing that the locals can poach on absentee landowners' land. But we don't hunt on eachother's land without permission.

Like an animal can't keep track of what happens in his territory when he is not there, neither can we. When the owners are there, we stay away, but the rest of the time we do as we please. Since we live there, it is not in our interest to eradicate anything anywhere, but rather to encourage population growth. Of course caution is required, since there are rats amongst the locals who likes to see people suffer, probably because they have such sorry lives themselves.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Torjusg your signature is considered your reciprocal link as it is visible on every post you make.

If you have an issue, deal with it courteously by taking it to Admin.

Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE