Traditional English poaching books

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
I think he was a reporter, I’ll have to check. I have a very old copy that was my father’s, he had it as a child in the 1930s, early 40’s. I remember being very enamoured with it my self as a child, not read it since, in fact, it’s due a read! I do remember it being very detailed though. If he didn’t partake himself, he must have had very in depth conversations with local poacher’s when researching it during the “heyday” of poaching. I have another book written by a poacher, 1900s, that was very good- I’ll have to have a look for it.
I only trust knowledge written by poachers themselves or biography’s written about them from trusted sources.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I only trust knowledge written by poachers themselves or biography’s written about them from trusted sources.

I think you need to be careful - a bit like only reading one newspaper, you only get one view point. Some writers looking in from outside tend to be more objective, no exaggeration, boasting, or over-romanticising. A breadth of knowledge sources and viewpoints is always the best when trying to learn.

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
I think you need to be careful - a bit like only reading one newspaper, you only get one view point. Some writers looking in from outside tend to be more objective, no exaggeration, boasting, or over-romanticising. A breadth of knowledge sources and viewpoints is always the best when trying to learn.
True but it’s best reading thru the trash to find the gold ,writers are guilty off romanticising to like u said it’s best to get a variety .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE