Please handle my Lapplander 90 blade (pic)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
I have just aquired a Frosts Lapplander 90 blade blank and also some leather through a swap on this site (many, many thanks Dougster).

As I have never handled a knife blank before or made a sheath I am asking if one of the highly skilled craftsmen on here would be able to do it for me.

My plan is to have this project done for me then in future, I may be able to do my own using this Lapplander as a sample, although, of course it will certainly be used as a tool and not a drawer filler.

It goes without saying that I am willing to pay the going price for the work to be carried out on the knife and sheath.

I am after brown wooden scales being fitted, with gold metal work (pins, bolsters or whatever) and the sheath being made from the leather I have, althought I would like the leather dyeing dark brown possibly to match the handle.

Please contact me if you feel you are able to help. Many thanks in advance....Stu

This is what I have (the blade is on top of the leather):

dscn1720ps1.jpg

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
Hi Penvisser, I'm not worried about sending the blade and leather long distance so it's not a problem for me. The only thing that troubles me is the currency in which to pay you, would English pounds £ be OK, or I think I am able to send American Dollars $ via paypal.

Please let me know how you want to deal with this.

Thanks for taking up my offer, you are a true gentleman.

Best wishes....Stu

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
using just a coping saw and a a couple of files.

A what and a who now? :rolleyes: :D

I fell in love with the blade the second I opened the packet up, it's such a lovely piece of metal I am afraid I would do a botch job. I'm concentrating on carving spoons first, then a kuksa, then maybe, if I still have all my fingers :rolleyes: I will try a knife blade.

I have seen Penvisser's work on here and it looks the dogs danglies, so, for now I am happy to let some-one else do the job for me.

ATB....Stu

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I think I've done my fair share this year. I'm going to enjoy my five weeks with the kiddies -

That's right, those of you without kids may not realise, but they have even had our Hols!!!!!:aargh4:

Look at that - didn't even notice it was my 100th!!

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Go on - give it a go yourself - here's mine, using the slightly longer 115 blade.

I complicated the issue by making the handle bigger than the tang, but if you're happy with the standard size then it would be considerably easier.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I agree with the do it yer self gang, not only might you surprise your self but you will also gain a lot besides a nice knife ;)

If you want some wood i have a nice bit of walnut i found under my bench you can have. Plus i have some pins knocking about that should fit. If the worse happens and you make a balls of it you can always rip of the scales clean up the blade and then ask somone to give it a go ;)

For reference there are a million articles on knife making here and over on britishblades.com ;)

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
You can also have a try with some wood and a piece similar shaped metal and make a test piece to test your skill.
But you should have go its great.

M

mikehill

Hi mate,
if you're sure you want someone else to do it then fine ... go for it :) If you want to try to do it yourself then you're welcome round to my workshop in A-in-M and, although I'm no expert, I'll gladly help out :) At least you could say it's "yours" ;)
Mike.

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
Hi Mike thats a very kind offer, thank you, but..........:) I have a man on the job now so the knife is all packed up and ready to go.

I currently can't drive, but will be learning soon, so next time I get a knife blank I may just take up that offer of yours.

Many thanks .... Stu

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
Your welcome to come round to my workshop to learn as well Manchester.
Mike has a nice workshop as well and its over a Pub ( bonus ) :)

Above a pub you say? Why the hell did I wait until now (I'm almost 30) to learn to drive?

Very generous offers, and like I say, hopefully quite soon I will be able to take you guys up on them....Above a pub, hang on that would mean I would have to walk home....Never mind it would be very good excersice....:rolleyes:

Many thanks for the offer...Stu

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Dont want to hijack this thread... but.....

What are these blades like?

Above a pub you say? Why the hell did I wait until now (I'm almost 30) to learn to drive?

Very generous offers, and like I say, hopefully quite soon I will be able to take you guys up on them....Above a pub, hang on that would mean I would have to walk home....Never mind it would be very good excersice....:rolleyes:

Many thanks for the offer...Stu

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Which blades? The Lapplanders? Although I've got nothing to compare against, I'd say it's a pretty nice blade, fairly bog-standard, but nicely finished (in a polished mas-produced kind of way), but with a slightly odd handle shape.

I chose to make the handle bigger on mine and re-shape it slightly (link in my post above) which was a bit of a pain, but for the price I couldn't find anything to compare.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE