Please don't Smock me!!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Ok , Please excuse the pun.

Does anyone have a cutting pattern or an old item of unwanted clothing that would be similiar to an old German WWII smock?

To explain the specifics , the very kind gent at Hyde Definition Who make the wonderous Pencott Camouflage has agreed to make me a smock of my design for my very build, what i hvae in mind is a simple Hooded smock running down to mid thigh , so where could i get such a pattern??

If anyone can help , great and appreciated . If not I guess i will pay a visit to the army surplus for an oldsimiliar jacket that can be cannibalised.

Cheers

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi, Made this one up in ventile using that pattern but with a zip halfway down and added a hood. It works good with no seam on the shoulders / arms .

28863881.jpg

Cheers Topknot.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
do you mean the sniper smock? there are a few companies online that do it in the zheltbahn pattern, sort of lace up front to it? overhead style smock?
i'll dig out some links because i was after one myself.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Melon fish Richard underwood, one of my links does decent quality repro stuff and would probs have them in stock he's based in London ive had kit off him myself (no conection) in the past but its best to order over the phone rather than his site for top quality as near as you can get to real macoy,the two German linked places take some beating, i cant remember off hand but one of them do the jager mountain smock and it looks top dollar.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Hi Guys , Been asleep!!

Basically Yes to all of that.

Topknot , Can you explain to a layman how you got that pattern or do you do it 'just' by eye?
Does that one come down to mid thigh?

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Hi TeeDee, the pattern is like this , the cloth come in 60"wide on the roll so you need to add on the bits to make up the arm lengths like the ww2 ones. The body is how long you want it. The one i made up measure 3 meter by 60" then folded in half giving me 1 1/2 meter body/back by 60" with cloth left over to make the arm bits, hood and pockets .
Hope this help you.

img1298.jpg

img1301.jpg

Cheers Topknot

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Hey Topknot,
I was going to PM, but I guess the answer might be of benefit to the wider forum.
Firstly, I think your smock is great - been thinking of making one myself and I might just pinch your ideas.
However I'd like to know why you chose to make it with no seam at the back, yet you deliberately cut the front to put in a zip and had to add material to the cuffs to make the sleeves longer. Was the elimination of one rear seam worth adding a seam at each cuff?
I know that the material is supplied in a restricted width which means all sorts of shenanegans to make a "Bushcrafter sized" garment.
I'm also trying to decide if things like handwarmer pockets on the chest area, or a shoulder cape to keep torrential rain off are worth doing - what modifications would you do to the original item, if any?

Cheers in advance

Ogri the trog

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Only just seen this , thanks top Knot.

A trip to endicotts for a Dutch Blanket is required I think.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE