Planes, Trains and Toboggans - Jokkmokk 2013 - Sub Zero Trip Report

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crowman

Forager
Oct 27, 2009
derbyshire
A superb read wayland and well written with great pics. I found it very informative and i have learnt alot. Look forward to getting out there somewhere next year, i am getting my kit together and knowledge like this write up helps immensely , cheers Rob.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
This pic of the decorations, is reminiscent of the Celtic/Gaelic grave markings up here, wonder if it's a Viking link ?

Jokkmokk-Market-Purchases.jpg

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
just got around to reading this after finding Teepees trip report.

WOW! truly fascinating stuff there, truly gutted i wasn't fit at the time to go. One day will certainly make it there though can be sure of that. And most likely empty my wallet.

I am curious about the leather rucksack in the first few pictures, is it one you made yourself? would love some more pictures of that

Wayland

Hárbarðr
A superb read wayland and well written with great pics. I found it very informative and i have learnt alot. Look forward to getting out there somewhere next year, i am getting my kit together and knowledge like this write up helps immensely , cheers Rob.

Look forward to seeing you out there Rob. Hope I make it next year.

Looks like a blast, kinda wishing that I went now.

I thought you weren't interested in the market Bob?

This pic of the decorations, is reminiscent of the Celtic/Gaelic grave markings up here, wonder if it's a Viking link ?

Jokkmokk-Market-Purchases.jpg

Well the Vikings were all over Scotland and they were certainly taking tribute fron the Saami at the time but it is likely that these designs post date the Viking period.

just got around to reading this after finding Teepees trip report.

WOW! truly fascinating stuff there, truly gutted i wasn't fit at the time to go. One day will certainly make it there though can be sure of that. And most likely empty my wallet.

I am curious about the leather rucksack in the first few pictures, is it one you made yourself? would love some more pictures of that

I made it a few years ago.

Leather_Bags.jpg

It's very basic but with a folding kipmat in the back it works very well.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
First time i'v seen this....excellent thread wayland

And just in time to remind we're I'm NOT going to norway as planned this year :(
Only joking, if I can't actually get away at least I can see someone else's awsome trip

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
This is a fantastic thread and one Wayland and BCUK may be very proud of.

Just the right balance of excitement mixed with the seemingly mundane that only adds to the sense of being there.

I’d imagine the Swedish Tourist Board will be equally pleased and hazard a guess that next year’s Jokkmokk Winter Market will see a gaggle of retail therapy site junkies fighting over the last XL leather trimmed smock!

Well done Wayland.

K

Last edited:

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
also first time I've seen this, thanks for the write up and (fantastic) pics. Good friend of mine is Finnish, and this time of year he loves to mock me by sending me pics of all the snow they have there (I send him pics of mud in return) and they always wake in me my desire to visit the frozen north (I nearly had a chance to go on a winter exercise when I was in the army, but I badly hurt my knee a few weeks before hand and had to miss is), never had (or rather, found) the time to go since.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Sorry, only just seen this.

That's exactly what it looked like.

i'll have to try and translate that recipe.

Google's translator isn't perfect, but you can get the gist of it...

"1 l buttermilk
75 g yeast
3 dl syrup
3 dl beer malt
3 dl wheat bran
3 dl of rye flour
1 tablespoon salt
10 dl wheat flour
2 tablespoons butter tin greasing
Siirappivesi lubrication
1 1/2 cups of water
1/2 cup syrup

Warm the sour milk to lukewarm in a saucepan or in the microwave. Crumble the yeast and mix well. Add the remaining ingredients, or syrup, beer malts, wheat bran, rye flour, salt and wheat flour, stirring with a wooden spoon. The dough does not bother.
Grease two 2 liter casserole with butter. Divide the batter into cups. Covered with a tea towel and leave to rise for 1 1/2 h.

Preheat oven to 175 degrees. Bake the breads medium level for about 2 s.
When the loaves have matured one half T, grease with them throughout siirappivedellä and continue cooking for a further 30 min. Allow bread to cool vuoissaan. Breads are at best two to three days. Let the bread will be happy to pretend to be cold."

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE