Pine Tar Soap

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have now have a huge new soap mold so now I can take over the world -waaahaah!

I have plenty of stock.

I also have a shiny new batch of midge repel in.

I am working on a new cream based on bug oil, lasts longer smells better and has a bit sun protection factor. Watch this space.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
Mine arrived to day and to say I'm happy with it is an understatement. I bought Pine Tar soap in the US and it must have been so watered down I couldn't even smell the Pine Tar. Needless to say I didn't bother re ordering it. Love the smell I cut the bar in three and put one in the bathroom now it smells nice and woodsy.

Thanks for making a great soap. PM inbound.

xylaria

What's in your midge-be-gone spray (unless it's a closely guarded secret 😉)?

I am doing the test this weekend. Walking through tick country in a tutu hopefully in sun shine .

It is bug oil with a coconut based thickener and titanium oxide. The original bug oil was quite messy although it did work.

Bug oil is neem oil in a carrier oil which is used in india to repel mosquitos and is thoroughly used in vet and horticulture industry to prevent ticks a nd mites from attaching to a host. There is aslo insect repellant essential oils that as well as repelling a wide range bugs hide the smell of the neem.

Midge repel is a different product with is small pine tar based balm that makes you smell smoky to midges. It is based on what was used in canada a hundred years ago by trappers.

All insect repellents have a natural fail point generally watching sunset on a scottish lough is that point.

May 16, 2015
Durham
Xylaria Id love to order a couple of large bars. I've only recently joined so I'm not allowed to pm yet.

Would you be able to pm me please?

Thank you,
Geoff

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Inspired by your awesome product (and how much of it i was using) i decided to have a go at making my own batch, just another 5 weeks and it will be cured and ready to test, here is hoping my stuff is as good on my eczema as yours is

xylaria

Inspired by your awesome product (and how much of it i was using) i decided to have a go at making my own batch, just another 5 weeks and it will be cured and ready to test, here is hoping my stuff is as good on my eczema as yours is
Good luck. Not the easiest soap to make. Traces very fast then splits if you look at it wrong. Top tip cut it next week it dries better.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I know what you mean about it tracing fast, it caught me a bit off guard being the first soap i've ever made I almost overdone the stirring job and i had to spoon and press it into the individual molds rather than pour it, hopefully i have done it correctly it looks good so far, it has been out of the molds for about a week at this point, test day is june 19th

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE